Post pics of your own 3D creations (not purchased)

Just started getting into printing and thought I'd start with a small project
Alway wanted a Clarence Bodicker Robocop grenade. I made this one on Tinkercad

Attachments

• Screenshot (271).png
    Screenshot (271).png
    249.8 KB · Views: 40
I recently completed these for a Dr Who 60th display by our model group. I CADded up the model from the original Shawcraft dimensions and then printed out at 1/12th scale. The 3D model was designed specifically to expedite building & painting since I had a lot to do and not enough time to do it! For example, the skirt was all one piece except for the balls, which were done as strips pushed in from the inside. Easy to spray, _no_ tedious masking :)

View attachment 1766052View attachment 1766053View attachment 1766054View attachment 1766055View attachment 1766056View attachment 1766057View attachment 1766058
One design that you might want to tackle.

The god of all Daleks as a spider…underslung turret.

The Six Million Dollar Man Venus Probe as a super-Dalek perhaps…

I'm concentrating on classic cannon styles at the moment - however my 45 year wait to see the Venus Probe eps of $6m man again was finally over a couple of weeks ago! I fell in love with that as a kid, and i'm seriously thinking about modelling one up now!

So I lied, here’s more,lol. I remodeled the tires to make them fatter,more ‘bulge’ and have since painted them. I also made a quick interior, sorry no photos of the seats steering wheel or gearshift. i redid the side bits because I saw a video by Jazzinc and their 1/6th Batmobile and there were some nice views. I made more accurate but symmetrical unlike the real deal. As I didn’t want to remake the parts they attach to,because I literally just glued them on an hour or so before I saw that vid. I also remodeled the ‘trunk‘ hatch as I had the portion over the thruster angled toward the front rather than straight or level with the rest of the rear edge. The last change I made was to the gun covers, making the front portions open so I can put mesh under it. You can see I have her primered. There have been many prime/sand sessions as I want as flawless a finish for the top coat even though I am going matte/satin, rather than gloss. If the weather is nice enough, the first topcoat goes on tomorrow as it’s an automotive matte black in a can. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpeg
    IMG_1796.jpeg
    937 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1794.jpeg
    IMG_1794.jpeg
    863 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1793.jpeg
    IMG_1793.jpeg
    847.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1792.jpeg
    IMG_1792.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1790.jpeg
    IMG_1790.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1789.jpeg
    IMG_1789.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1788.jpeg
    IMG_1788.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1786.jpeg
    IMG_1786.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1783.jpeg
    IMG_1783.jpeg
    509.5 KB · Views: 51
USS Alabama from Crimson Tide on a display stand (Ohio class SSBN). The scale is 1/150 and measures over 1.1 metres (>45 inches) without the display stand. It's hollow so an RC conversion is possible.

View attachment 1768454View attachment 1768455
TazMan2000
Awesome!
Got a similar itch the other day, after watching Operation Petticoat and Down Periscope again.
Edit: Funnily, they're both iterations of the Gato class, with Petticoat using a late upgrade Gato and Periscope using a Balao, a late war Gato subclass with thicker hull and a low-profile tower. So, both are just a matter of modifying a kit in different ways.

Last edited:
Speechless; the details are tops and those tires are looking big and mean :love: :love: :cool::cool:(y)(y)
Thank you so much joberg It is by no means perfect, there are inaccuracies and print lines on the smaller parts. Also,ssshhh, 0 detail on the bottom, but it will look good on the shelf. And as my first printed model made by me, I’m pretty happy.

Honestly this was one of many reasons I waited so long to get a printer. I was lucky to turn a hobby into a job, but I can get stuck in the 3D end too long.

When I bought my first 3D printer, I relied on downloaded models, mostly from thingiverse, to supplement my scratch model building skills. I soon realized that, a lot of times, the quality of those free models just isn't there and the accuracy is questionable. What can you expect for free, right? It was then I started designing my own stuff via TinkerCad, but wow...I look back at my earlier creations and I cringe. Which is good, in a way, since it shows me that I have improved.

Some of the stuff from Gambody and Cults3D is quite good, but the artists there seem to design models for people who want to print, paint and display, without any post processing. Raised panels and details are all over the place which ruin some of the smooth faces. Sanding poses a problem, in that detail will most likely be destroyed, or the raised panels will make sanding a greater chore. That is fine, for those who don't mind layer lines, but I find that if you're going to go through all the trouble in printing a larger (studio scale) model out, you might as well take the care in making it as presentable as possible. But most of the models are rendered and displayed, giving the customer a false impression of what they are getting.

I try and design my stuff with separate detail pieces that have to be added on, rather than joining everything onto on piece so that there is little to no assembly. (I should make one of those Cheap-Good-Fast graphics for people who buy 3D stuff online and print it out but reworded for model makers).

TazMan2000

When I bought my first 3D printer, I relied on downloaded models, mostly from thingiverse, to supplement my scratch model building skills. I soon realized that, a lot of times, the quality of those free models just isn't there and the accuracy is questionable. What can you expect for free, right? It was then I started designing my own stuff via TinkerCad, but wow...I look back at my earlier creations and I cringe. Which is good, in a way, since it shows me that I have improved.

Some of the stuff from Gambody and Cults3D is quite good, but the artists there seem to design models for people who want to print, paint and display, without any post processing. Raised panels and details are all over the place which ruin some of the smooth faces. Sanding poses a problem, in that detail will most likely be destroyed, or the raised panels will make sanding a greater chore. That is fine, for those who don't mind layer lines, but I find that if you're going to go through all the trouble in printing a larger (studio scale) model out, you might as well take the care in making it as presentable as possible. But most of the models are rendered and displayed, giving the customer a false impression of what they are getting.

I try and design my stuff with separate detail pieces that have to be added on, rather than joining everything onto on piece so that there is little to no assembly. (I should make one of those Cheap-Good-Fast graphics for people who buy 3D stuff online and print it out but reworded for model makers).

TazMan2000
I agree and relate to all that. I am sure there will be some things I buy to print, but 99% will be me modeling a model for myself. lol, it’s a sickness.

Though meant for medicine, these would make for nice bussard collector/nacelle caps:

Perhaps this can give ships internal skeletons:

Get that clear Yamaguchi, and print the internal decks from within?

I posted this over in the 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' section, but I figured I'd repost here for folks that don't tend to hit that section. My 3D sculpt of Paul Newman from "The Color of Money." Pretty much done, but I still need to do more to complete it for printing. It's going to be a NECA figure replacement head and a stand-alone bust as well. Also modeled two different pairs of glasses for him.
1000004984-03.jpeg1000004980-01.jpegFE20e.pnglarge_the_color_of_money_blu-ray_subs.jpgPaul-Newman-Color-of-Money.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back