Possible EFX AT-ST ROTJ, TIE Bomber & Probe Droid studio scale

How do I know? Well our group was given access to the Y-wing model for photography and measurement purposes by the owner who had DIRECT access to the filming miniatures for ANH. It's the same color of green used on other ILM models, Red V for example.The MOM y-wing also utilizes the same "blue" color used on the cocckpit.

I think the EFX paint master looks fantastic.

Thanks for the extra info. I guess the "apparent" lack of green in the couple of published pictures of Gold Leader is due to the exposure or colour cast of the photography. Or is it "possible" the model was shot for prosperity before it was filmed and alterations made? "How can we know for sure what happened then?" is what I was asking. Thanks to your access and diligence we can be sure the model was painted as we see it now in the paint master.

And to be clear: I'm just curious, I'm not meaning to be critical. The history of these models, how they were crafted, and how hard it is to replicate them is fascinating. It may seem picky to go on about the green, but that's what these niche forums do so well, pick over the details. If I'm going to spend hundreds or maybe over a thousand on an object, I'm going to want to know everything I can about it ;)

Thanks for your hard work and research. This is great time for amazing green-hued reveals and fiery Star Wars discussion. And we have a new film coming with X-wings in it. All reasons to rejoice.

I didn't want to intervene in the thread I started because of the heated discussions. I read with attention and interest all the details in the posts about the Y-Wings, TIE's and other replicas mentioned here, and thanks everyone for that. It was great to learn so many new things. But I think that professional discussions about studio scales and props (even contradictory, since we are all adults and can restrain ourselves I guess) = YES (a huge YES), but childish name calling and inappropriate posts = NO. That being said I look forward to read more info about the TIE and the other fantastic ships and vehicles from our beloved Star Wars from all parts involved here. :)

I think what Jamie is trying to say in a round about way , is "Sorry , I just get over excited and see red. I'll go through the posts again and try and be more constructive with my replies"

At least I think thats what he's working too, I'd hate to hear he's had his knuckles wrapped from above !!!! That would just be embarrassing !!!

Some interesting stuff coming through this though and its great to see how the R&D for these models came about, and why decisions are made like they are etc...... The best part about something being not as accurate as we would like is there is always room for improvement, I'd hate to think that things are so easily recreated these days without some good old debate and cross reference.

Theres so much thats not on the Nice n PD that clearly any work on that subject can massively be improved for a final master pattern, what a day that will be, to actually get the real scale and size of the PD, something truly to look forward to... an EFX PD thats totally nailed with real colour samples to work from. What a day indeed, the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder how it will work now though as I believe George Lucas owns the model and not Lucasfilm, so has there been an agreement between license holders and the big guy, I hope so as Disney don't own the archive so this must be a complicated thing to work around especially as GL and Disney are not on good terms!! Lets Hope Brian has a plan round this or that I'm so off the mark that it isn't an issue..... Fingers crossed though

From a screen cap from ANH:
01.jpg
With a little extra saturation, here comes the green:
02.jpg
But here, no green?
Ywing1.jpg

Attachments

• Ywings_trenchrun.png
    Ywings_trenchrun.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 200
ok peeps, in case no one has figured it out yet when a company or spokesperson says "100% accurate" or "This one is 100% more accurate than the last one that was 100% more accurate" is a marketing scheme. I lost count how many times the Xwing kit has went through "this is more accurate than the previous version"
The TIE and Y kits have all claimed to be 100% accurate every time they are released.
It's all a sales ploy and marketing tactic. Lucasfilm does this with the different releases of Star Wars, same movie different packaging and yet people still buy it. So if you ignore the "100% accurate" bs then buy it. If not then don't. After all WE are the consumers.

Not sure what the point is of the post above... Steve and Co. ( you know who you are) have spent an enormous amount of time on the Y's. while the statement 100% accurate has been used several times as you've stated - its still true at the time it was said by the person saying to the best of their knowledge. This particular model has been being researched for as long as I can remember... and I personally believe the people involved in this are not lying to me. they've been at this as long or longer than I have, are well know names in the community and want a perfect model as badly - more so actually - than I do... so...

If you want a 100% accurate representation of model X - go steal it from the archives... if you want one you will not go to jail for that is as close as the experts on the subject can make it TODAY - buy one of these... (or get on of Y-kits that have been made and add that extra 5% of anal retentive goodness to it)

Its really that simple

My $0.02,
Jedi Dade

Last edited:
On a OT note:

Darkside72 - your passion is commendable and in general I'm on your side of the "is it accurate" debate. I believe in micrometers over interpolated data from a reference pic all day long - but you seem to be letting your temper get the best of you.

Tox - keep nitpicking - you may not always be correct, but if it forces a reasonable double check its all good in my book!

Guy - not sure what to say to you man... you've made your points several times over about the elitist ascpect of having had direct access to the original miniatures... but you keep poking the bear... not sure why.

to all - everyone wants accuracy. everyone wants great replicas. I think we can agree that these are extremely accurate models, that when mass produced we all hope will be faithfully reproduced. lets be happy about that, and when necessary provide CONSTRUCTIVE critiques. pretty please :D

Peace, and happy building,
Jedi Dade

Last edited:
If anyone wants to sell me an EFX tie, I would be interested ;)
You can still get them NEW on AMAZON..however...they are $1,700 bucks...so if you want to pay that much..there you go... I did not pay this much for mine..but I did pay over list...

Btw..Broken front laser canons seems to be a problem with them..so be warned...Tho easy to fix in most cases.

Sure my temper gets the best of me. It get's old when the same naysayers cut your work to pieces. Or when a sample model is shown, PD for example Which is a POSSIBLE release and there is nothing final about it. People need to get their ducks in a row before they THINK they know what they are talking about.

As far as gold leader is concerned I can tell you that TWO parts were grown for the model. One is shoved down inside the port side of the neck, the other tiny part is on the upper back. EVERY OTHER SINGLE detail part/plant on was found. The last ANH GRAIL kit was discovered giving the Y two major parts. What haven't we done to make this the very best?

The "spokesperson", for EFX mentioned above is Steve Neisen.The Owner and supervisor of Nice'N"Model Designs. And our models are the most accurate.

As far as going to China etc for mass production, obviously there are shrinkage issues. Out of our hands and we've done our best.

On a OT note:

Darkside72 - your passion is commendable and in general I'm on your side of the "is it accurate" debate. I believe in micrometers over interpolated data from a reference pic all day long - but you seem to be letting your temper get the best of you.

Tox - keep nitpicking - you may not always be correct, but if it forces a reasonable double check its all good in my book!

Guy - not sure what to say to you man... you've made your points several times over about the elitist ascpect of having had direct access to the original miniatures... but you keep poking the bear... not sure why.

to all - everyone wants accuracy. everyone wants great replicas. I think we can agree that these are extremely accurate models, that when mass produced we all hope will be faithfully reproduced. lets be happy about that, and when necessary provide CONSTRUCTIVE critiques. pretty please :D

Peace, and happy building,
Jedi Dade

So... for those concerned with absolute accuracy, would it be better to just get a Kit form Steve and skip the EFX offering? If there's likely to be some manufacturing SANFUs that dilute the end product I would guess that would be the best option....????

So... for those concerned with absolute accuracy, would it be better to just get a Kit form Steve and skip the EFX offering? If there's likely to be some manufacturing SANFUs that dilute the end product I would guess that would be the best option....????

Steve sure does make beautiful products but has a track record of not delivering products people paid for long ago. I've heard of guys waiting years to get something they paid for. You can search the RPF threads and find what I'm talking about. If you look at their webpage they have a lot of products that supposedly were supposed to be released by now. Maybe their business model has improved, I don't know for sure, but It's hard for me shell out $300-$600 out on something I might not see for years.

Re: Possible EFX AT-ST ROTJ, TIE Bomber & Probe Droid studio scale

Steve sure does make beautiful products but has a track record of not delivering products people paid for long ago. I've heard of guys waiting years to get something they paid for. You can search the RPF threads and find what I'm talking about. If you look at their webpage they have a lot of products that supposedly were supposed to be released by now. Maybe their business model has improved, I don't know for sure, but It's hard for me shell out $300-$600 out on something I might not see for years.
Love efx..but I would never pre-order anything from them.. They have a very bad track record(In my eyes) for getting stuff out....So I agree. Which is sad, because they make good stuff...

- - - Updated - - -

I will take any option..where do I buy this y-wing! :)

I'm pretty sure you can only get the gold leader thru EFX and Steve will offer the others as kits.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back