Possible EFX AT-ST ROTJ, TIE Bomber & Probe Droid studio scale

So I told Steve "Without sacrificing quality, I can't finish this build without the parts and then still have time to paint it for the show!" and he said "I can grow the parts and paint it in time" so I packed 'er up and off she went... and he GREW the missing parts on his Objet and painted it IN A DAY. Probably a pretty long day, I reckon, lol

Figured about as much. Couldn't do that either, so I don't envy Steve at all. Irrespective of my own opinion on the finish, it seems like the kinds of guys who would line up to buy an eFX Y-Wing are talking about it once again, so I reckon that can only be good for sales of the thing.

I agree with the other guy that someone will have to update the eFX website first for that to happen. Maybe only Barry knows the password for the web server and he aint talking... ;)

Come to Wonderfest!

Man, I wish!

Right now everyone is waiting for this new watch to land, so I have a bit of a lull to work on restoring these new X-Wing fuselage patterns that I pulled out of Frank's first mold. Next year!

Wow..lots of anger in here..that leads to the dark side you know!

Anyhow..I don't care if you laser canons are too long or short...Y-wing looks awesome.... I want to buy it..hurry the F up already!... The only problem EFX has is their web page...someone needs to update it so it doesn't look like you guys went out of business. I know for me..if Im going to spend $500 to $1,500 on a model, I want to feel like the company is still active....that web page is scary out of date guys!

For the record I have the following EFX things...
Xwing (awesome..had to buy it from an over priced web page..Cost me 2x retail- To be fair bought this after they stopped making them)
Tie Fighter ( had to over-pay to a store on Amazon, because it was impossible to get one from EFX...tho they contacted me 6 months after I bought one..when they found one..doh..No excuse for having to pay over list price for me)
Stormtrooper helmet
Darth Vader
Battlestar Helmet

You clearly make great stuff....I just really really really hate your Web page...and hate having to go to 2nd or 3rd party sellers and get jacked on the prices...

GIVE ME Y-WING NOW! NOW NOW NOW!

Who are you? Exactly nobody.

Julien pointed out five years ago that your guys' TIE-Fighter master pattern was most likely too small based on his years of research and actually building multiple patterns of his own, with all original kit parts. You guys doubled down on your "100% accuracy" claims and called Julien all kinds of names back then, too. It was uncool then and it is uncool now.

Your balls are too small, and frankly, if there's anyone around here you ought to be listening to when it comes to the TIE-Fighter, it's Julien.

I'm really waiting for someone to respond to this point as well. The ICONS TIE-Fighter hull was something like four resin casting generations removed from the original pattern, by an educated guess. Maybe three generations removed, at best. And yet the ICONS TIE hull is considerably larger than the eFX hull that we were also told was "100% accurate."

As for this week's MR/Nice-N/eFX Y-Wing, Jason, IMO they should've had you paint the master.

Re: Possible EFX AT-ST ROTJ, TIE Bomber & Probe Droid studio scale

Guy I'm done with you. Don't need anything from you.

And for the record my buffoon comment wasn't even levelled at you it was directed at the only person who's post has been removed for trolling in this latest outburst of nonsense so don't jump to conclusions and get bent out of shape so easily, come to the table calm and sit down nicely

And for the record re helping, I've shared more info with "the team" than they ever have with me from id'd to ref pictures so don't be lording that either. I've never asked for anything but given a fare chunk .......

Sorry Jason but I built the master of Gold Leader (body/ engines/plant on's) and layed out all the plant on parts for correct placement. John C, built the master body. You took the castings from Frank and built the model based on our build for Steve.

Dang Beaz, I am flattered. I actually built most of the model that was at Celebration, but there were a few missing key parts and I was running out of time on my end...

So I told Steve "Without sacrificing quality, I can't finish this build without the parts and then still have time to paint it for the show!" and he said "I can grow the parts and paint it in time" so I packed 'er up and off she went... and he GREW the missing parts on his Objet and painted it IN A DAY. Probably a pretty long day, I reckon, lol!

I was happy to do what I was able to with the time constraints, and it really shows how passionate every one is about this kind of stuff.

Even all the arguing shows how passionate people can get. (trying to look on the bright side of things! lol)

Come to Wonderfest!

This is what Steve got from me only a few weeks from the deadline for getting the model to the show:
View attachment 468998

Yea kinda funny when one has access to the real model. It's a 5" ball.
Pucker up and choke... :)

Julien pointed out five years ago that your guys' TIE-Fighter master pattern was most likely too small based on his years of research and actually building multiple patterns of his own, with all original kit parts. You guys doubled down on your "100% accuracy" claims and called Julien all kinds of names back then, too. It was uncool then and it is uncool now.

Your balls are too small, and frankly, if there's anyone around here you ought to be listening to when it comes to the TIE-Fighter, it's Julien.

I'm really waiting for someone to respond to this point as well. The ICONS TIE-Fighter hull was something like four resin casting generations removed from the original pattern, by an educated guess. Maybe three generations removed, at best. And yet the ICONS TIE hull is considerably larger than the eFX hull that we were also told was "100% accurate."

As for this week's MR/Nice-N/eFX Y-Wing, Jason, IMO they should've had you paint the master.

Yea kinda funny when one has access to the real model. It's a 5" ball.
Pucker up and choke... :)

Interesting.

So, Jamie, you guys are saying that you had direct access to the hull of a "real model" and that it is considerably smaller than an ICONS TIE-Fighter? Which "real model" are you talking about?

You do know that the ICONS TIE-Fighter hull was sourced directly from a production-made casting, right? I know for sure that Steve understands this because he sold recasts of that same production-sourced hull for many years before you guys scratch built a whole new pattern.

So, how did your 100% uber-accurate TIE-Fighter ball end up smaller than the one from ICONS?

lol you think the EFX Tie is derived from the ICONS model?Seriously?

;)

Actually, that's not even close to what anyone has said here. Let's keep it simple:

1) My eFX TIE-Fighter cockpit ball has a diameter of 127mm and my ICONS TIE-Fighter cockpit ball has a diameter of 132mm

2) The eFX hull was scratch-built by you guys, and you claimed it was 100% accurate to a scan of a TIE from the Archives

3) The ICONS hull was sourced directly from an ILM-produced model, and is at least two resin-casting generations removed from its original pattern

So it would be really cool for someone from "the team" to explain how it can be that my eFX TIE is "100% accurate" when the hull of my eFX TIE is 5mm smaller in diameter than the hull of my ICONS TIE.

Until then, your balls remain too small...

I have an EFX tie fighter sitting about 2 feet away from me as I type this... It's freaking awesome... I don't know if the ball is too big, or too small.. I frankly don't even care...because it looks so awesome to me...oh well.. Not sure why you guys are going at it.. I am normally pretty picky and can see something when its off...the thing looks amazing to me... Tho I have no ILM tie fighter to compare it to. So if it is off in some way...it's a tiny amount.

But..let me take a stab at this wonderful conversation.... Is it possible there are tie's with different ball sizes?

This reminds me of the saying... haters gonna hate....:) Efx...GIVE ME MY DAMN Y-WING NOW! It's awesome..and I need some awesome NOW!

If you don't like the EFX Collectibles TIE Fighter why did you buy one?

I don't take a 'stake in ones size ball or the other... I won't get drawn into that fight.

I was fortunate to be involved and help developed the TIE Fighter, though my contribution was small compared to John C. and some of the other folks involved.
We did have access to original models.
It was a little frustrating that the Chinese firm went their own way on the Wings/ Wing Stars.
-Especially after Steve and I worked so hard on getting the Wing Stars & Hubs - Just right.
We got the correct over-all dimension of the wings and the the dimension / angles of the "Raised-Hub"section (the original was not "perfect", as they were hand-made)
We were able to verify the thickness of the styrene plastic used for the Wing Stars
We we able to see first hand, how the H-Beam & T-beam were assembled in conjunction with the wing-stars at the corners.

I passed the info on to Jason for one of his TIE builds ... I believe he has a Youtube vidoe of what I showed him.
Personally I do not think its is the best ( sturdiest) way to "frame" the Kool-Shade, but that's the way the ILM modelers did it.
There's a better way to put them together that would look the same externally but be a bit stronger in construction.

We checked and -double checked all this data, I mapped it all out and re-constructed it "virtually" in the computer ...to make sure it all " Added-Up"
With all of us working together ( each bringing a different skill-set) It was very satisfying when everything "fell into place"
... we knew we had reconciled everything and had something very close (if not perfect) to the original wings

Once I passed the new laser-cut Wing-Stars to John C., he went to town and did a beautiful Job mastering the new wings... he know his stuff !!

All the new info we gleaned ( a few years back now) are reflected in Steve's current TIE kits

The firm contracted by EFX did do an excellent job meticulously re-creating the individual Kit parts on both the Wings and the Hull.
All are very nicely detailed for the most part. There are a few very minor, subtle nuances (like the Cross section of the Plastruct T-beams for example) are not quite correct . -but we're really splitting hairs, at this point.
The Colors of the EFX TIE is spot on too.

Last edited:
So the Chinese to be blamed huh? How the f#*k suppose to say they went their way as they're just producing and doing all the assembling,anything wrong w the parts assembling? No! Now folks are talking about the ball size,and the Tie ball are OFF!

Don

lol you think the EFX Tie is derived from the ICONS model?Seriously?

No, the Icons was patterned after an original casting. The eFX seems to be derived from the Nice-N V2 kit, everything match but kitparts (that why the nice n kit is bit more accurate than the eFX).

Jamie, I am not telling you you are lying. I think you honestly think it's a 5" ball because you have been told it was a 5" ball.
Even Steve admitted somewhere on this board that the ball was probably bigger than 5". Bryan also admitted they measured the armature tube at 31.75mm but that it was too late to make the change.

I built a 5" cockpit ball (exactly like the nice-n V2 and eFX) AND a 5-1/4" cockpit ball. I can compare myself the 2 cockpit balls, I think you can't claim the same ? It's obvious the parts placement on the 5" ball becomes problematic, of course you need to have build both to know that and to have compared the results with ref pics.

You said it was 3D scanned, OK, but where are the proof and the datas ?

I crossed check everything, got measurements from original screen used or raw castings TIE Fighters from different guys and got the same numbers. How the eFX can be smaller then ?
I also used a laser setup with a perfectly calibrated digital calipers and measured the diameter of the Vader's TIE, ESB TIE and of the ROTJ Interceptor. Everything was between 131 and 132mm. But like the 3D scanning this is not for me a solid proof.

Something that every Icons owner can do is to measure the diameter of the cockpit ball Icons TIE. And notice that the result is bigger than 127mm (5").

I said the 3D scanning was not a solid proof, remember the MR ATAT ? Yeah it was also 3D scanned and guess what ? The hull (wont talk about the legs haha) are undersized but most annoying... Shape and proportions are off. Yeah off ! But it was 3D scanned.

Another thing : with a correct inner cockpit (and ceiling) with all the correct parts, it could not fit the space between armature and front opening. That's something you can't verify yourself because 80% of the parts of the nice-n and eFX cockpit (not the front) are wrong. The length of the cockpit is shorter.

Im not saying that eFX did not do a lot of research and work into it. The master pattern was, I am sure, very well done. Just like the first legs of the ROTJ ATST. They were incredible but... Too small.

The difference between you and me is that I can say "OK I was wrong". It happened with my first TIE cockpit. It was nearly finished when someone pointed out it was too small... Then I get measurements from Gene and the original ANH TIE fighter that confirmed that. And I built another, accurate this time. This is too late for the eFX TIE but not too late if they are still planned to release the Interceptor. That's why I continue to support the 5-1/4" ball.

Another difference between you and me, is that when I see something wrong, I tell ASAP what's wrong. I did it here when the first pics of the eFX TIE proto have been posted, pointing out what could be improved. But you, you never said anything about the thickness of my wingstars even if you obviously read my thread since you "noticed" that. Fortunatly enough i am correct regarding the thickness of my wingstar so it's not a big deal, but if that would have not been the case, I would have been more than happy if you had told me that sooner.

Let's back into the original topic, the next eFX releases.
So yes you have a production casting or mold of the ROTJ AT-ST then what ? How are you planning the build ? 3D scanning the original casting, repair the mesh, square things and got it CNC milled or 3D printed ? Then it will not be anymore accurate than any scratchbuilt ATST ? The only way to get it accurate is made a master with this production casting, mold it and do resin pulls. If not, it will only be an interpretation of a ROTJ ATST.

And for the guy who is happy with his eFX TIE and is calling us "haters", good for you if you love him ! However we're not on Rebelscum here so please understand than most of us are not collectors but wants replicas that are as close as possible. "Close is good enough" is a no-no for us.

And to stop derailing this thread I invite you to post and reply into my TIE fighter thread.

I'm just someone who apparently walked into the middle of a raging argument (clearly I don't know who said what, or if anyone started with the your momma's so etc etc jabs yet)...I did not know this thread was a fight thread :) I think i will turn around and walk out now... My only point was ...the EFX stuff is very nice...I love my TIE...but, I will let you guys get back to measuring your balls now.... I do understand wanting a perfect copy of the originals...So I can't fault you for that....But I hope both sides understand how arguments on the Internet go...no one ever really wins..and no one ever changes anyone's mind on something...but have at it.... Round two... Who knows..maybe the how big is the ball will be settled...if so..then I guess it was worth the back and forth.

I just really wanted to poke EFX to get those Y-wings out..They look nice!

Peace out guys!

Last edited:
There is not argument, just a passionate discussion between civil guys ! :)

Don't get me wrong, the eFX TIE is an awesome piece in any collection, it could have even be used in the movies, noone would have noticed the difference.
The disagrement here is regarding what is called "100% accurate" which is not true. Let's take the eFX TIE and their other models for what they are, nice replicas or display models, but not 100% accurate models. Their X-Wing is a great model too, but in this case, that's the kitparts that are bigger than the original.

And yes Gene did a wonderful job matching the ANH TIE color, and it will help me a lot ! :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back