Please stop using push rivets on plastic

00MrNotWrong00

Sr Member
Please stop using push rivets on plastic. Please watch these videos and start using these techniques.

Push rivets are fun and easy to use but they draw attention away from your work, even more so when the item you are replicating does not have little rivets all over it.

Looking at the price of push rivets and the price of one of these cheaper units and looking at what is being done in these videos makes me wonder why this isn't being used more here.

Please watch all videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVLBD-uHRgE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2pQKPxZMd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXvtAluZog0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0AAR13gkxE

I hope people here find this as interesting as I did and I hope these techniques find their way into everyone's arsenal that works with plastic.

Also if you know of anyone that may benefit from these techniques please point these videos out to them.

The biggest advatage of using rivets on plastic is that it is a non toxic work flow. I live in an apartment in the city so I'm very limited on what materials I can use. As soon as you shift to melting plastic you need a very different work environment. For some people I think this could work great.

Granted all the stuff I work on is supposed to have a few rivets in it.

How many people on here use rivets on plastic for their stuff?

Please stop using push rivets on plastic. Please watch these videos and start using these techniques.

Push rivets are fun and easy to use but they draw attention away from your work, even more so when the item you are replicating does not have little rivets all over it.

Looking at the price of push rivets and the price of one of these cheaper units and looking at what is being done in these videos makes me wonder why this isn't being used more here.

Please watch all videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVLBD-uHRgE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2pQKPxZMd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXvtAluZog0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0AAR13gkxE

I hope people here find this as interesting as I did and I hope these techniques find their way into everyone's arsenal that works with plastic.

Also if you know of anyone that may benefit from these techniques please point these videos out to them.

excellent links. very useful info.

The biggest advatage of using rivets on plastic is that it is a non toxic work flow. I live in an apartment in the city so I'm very limited on what materials I can use. As soon as you shift to melting plastic you need a very different work environment. For some people I think this could work great.

Granted all the stuff I work on is supposed to have a few rivets in it.

How many people on here use rivets on plastic for their stuff?

you have a point there when you mentioned non toxic work flow. definitely wouldnt recommend this method for anyone building in a not so ventilated area. im currently using pop rivets to piece together my MarkV suit, i dont think its that distracting suit.

also awesome witch king hamsterstyle!

I've found that on most builds, they tend to add to the ascetics of the suit rather than detract from them. I'll use quakevirus as an example. His Ironman MkV suit looks amazing and he's using pop rivets & I will likely use some on my MkIII suit should they be necessary. I guess maybe it depends on how critical you decide to be when looking at other peoples or your own works.

I think this is really cool and I can think of a ton of things to use this on but at the same time it looks like quite a bit of work to get everything just right. Don't get me wrong certain items need this but I also like the look of rivets if they are thought out and placed right. All in all, I will be getting one of these systems when the mark III I'm working on is finished.

I think the best realization in making armor is that its not going to be put in a museum nor used in a theatrical release. With that said, there comes a point in making things where functionality and being screen accurate clash.Plus, there's just no way to make mkv armor that's accurate. Its just not possible.

I think the best realization in making armor is that its not going to be put in a museum nor used in a theatrical release. With that said, there comes a point in making things where functionality and being screen accurate clash.Plus, there's just no way to make mkv armor that's accurate. Its just not possible.

That sounds like a challenge , don't make me clean out the work shop.

Plastic welders are nice and certainly have their place, but keep in mind that while anyone can run a rivet gun after 2 minutes of instruction, making a clean weld in plastic requires a little more practice and technique development. It also requires a lot more prep and finish work than smacking in a few rivets. Materials and equipment are more costly too, and I'm pretty sure I can't zip out to my local hardware store and buy more plastic welding rod when I run out.

Suggesting the use of the welder was great, the videos were fantastic, and I'm sure folks (myself included, even though I've used the things before) appreciate the information, but telling people that they're doing it wrong by using rivets is a little condescending.

This is interesting... One of the shifts I've been seing in the board lately is that there's been a lot more "that's expensive", "that's too much work", "it doesn't need to be perfect" lately.

I used to think of the RPF as the place where things DID need to be perfect... or at least as close as humanly possible.

To me, using an exposed rivet where one does not exist in the original just doesn't make sense. If you KNOW something is inaccurate, why consciously choose to do it that way, rather than trying to get it as "right" as possible?

I smell a post in off topic about this...

Plastic welders are nice and certainly have their place, but keep in mind that while anyone can run a rivet gun after 2 minutes of instruction, making a clean weld in plastic requires a little more practice and technique development. It also requires a lot more prep and finish work than smacking in a few rivets. Materials and equipment are more costly too, and I'm pretty sure I can't zip out to my local hardware store and buy more plastic welding rod when I run out.

Suggesting the use of the welder was great, the videos were fantastic, and I'm sure folks (myself included, even though I've used the things before) appreciate the information, but telling people that they're doing it wrong by using rivets is a little condescending.

OK I'll go to the ot and publicly apologize .

I use countersunk nuts and bolts with their tops filled with filler like glazing putty or bondo and its worked very well for me.

You guys are right, I reverse my position. We certainly don't want anyone sullying up this fine gentleman's club with anything short of absolute perfection. If someone can't afford to invest in top-tier tools and materials, they might as well never start in the first place.

Seriously, give people some slack. Economic times are tough, and lots of people are making do with what they have, rather than stock a whole new tool kit just to be perfect. They'll see the rivets, I'll see the rivets, you'll see the rivets...but nobody at this year's Halloween party is going to give two ****s about the rivets.

Lmao. No Im not saying you absolutely couldn't do it, its just its very mechanical, theres tons of gears and pistons and things like all around the armor. I just dont think it could be done and look 100% accurate.

You guys are missing the most important tip in the first video:

"Apply downward pressure on the ROD to give better penetration into the CRACK"

That's what she said.

Sorry, had to do it!

Great videos!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back