Please brutally critique my work -

Fxguy1

I have built an online portfolio to showcase some of my work/projects that I have done and would appreciate feedback no matter how brutal on my work.

I am currently a pharmacist looking to transition into a practical special effects or exhibit designer role. I'm passionate about finding a position where I can best use my Swiss Army Knife of skills and talents. So please take a look and give feedback on anything I can do to improve and get hired.

Here is the link:
Fxguy1 Portfolio

Last edited:
I think your portfolio looks great. Shows off a wide range of projects- I especially like the Arkham storage case. I do think some entries need more photos, like the puppet one, though. Otherwise, it looks nice!

Good start but you may want to have some better final photos of your work. Work in process are fine but the lead in needs to be clean. You have shots of dirty mats, condensation and other unwanted items in your shots. Get yourself a Lightbox and take pics of your finished creations. If the item can't fit in a light box, try to take it against a clean, simple background.
Take a look at my site. Maybe you will find its photography examples useful. My site is a mix of built and purchased items.

Last edited:
Good start but you may want to have some better final photos of your work. Work in process are fine but the lead in needs to be clean. You have shots of dirty mats, condensation and other unwanted items in your shots. Get yourself a Lightbox and take pics of your finished creations. If the item can't fit in a light box, try to take it against a clean, simple background.
Take a look at my site. Maybe you will find its photography examples useful. My site is a mix of built and purchased items.

Thank you for the advice! I’ve been horrible at taking pictures, in process or otherwise. So it’s ok to take pics against a white background well lit? Kinda figured a darker background (like when editing in photoshop) would be better.

Hi Tim, I think your portfolio off to a great start. I agree with Cameron that some clean, hero photography will really help. For example, on your portfolio landing page - the pic of R2 is a close up of the dome, frankly it is not a provocative image that encourages me to click in to explore further. Additionally I think each project page could benefit from a concisely written creative brief with an overview of the project and some of its unique challenges and how you solved them. Also, I'm not convinced your drawings need a dedicated section. If you are looking to showcase your practical effects and exhibit skills I recommend including your planning drawings within the context of the associated projects as a way of showing your work process. I hope that helps and best of luck!

Hi Tim, I think your portfolio off to a great start. I agree with Cameron that some clean, hero photography will really help. For example, on your portfolio landing page - the pic of R2 is a close up of the dome, frankly it is not a provocative image that encourages me to click in to explore further. Additionally I think each project page could benefit from a concisely written creative brief with an overview of the project and some of its unique challenges and how you solved them. Also, I'm not convinced your drawings need a dedicated section. If you are looking to showcase your practical effects and exhibit skills I recommend including your planning drawings within the context of the associated projects as a way of showing your work process. I hope that helps and best of luck!
Thank you! I really appreciate the comments and critique. One of my goals in posting this was to really seek out the harshest advice I can. I am trying to find any criticism that says it sucks or I have a long way to go before I’d be ready to work on a professional project.

I included the drawings because I wanted to show that I can sketch ideas as well as draft plans for something I built. I agree though that I can probably reorganize them to be included in the project itself.

Is there a cutoff where I should include a project because I only have a few photos of it or it was a small project?

Getting work in just about any industry requires the ability to balance the iron triangle of time, budget and quality. Using your portfolio to showcase your abilities is important in relation to these concepts - meaning, as an example, taking two years to build a quality R2 unit, while a nice personal milestone, is not of interest to a company cranking out production ready props. Looking at your Infinity Gauntlet - I would say that in the age of HD content a hero prop should be devoid of print lines and I suggest replacing the photos of the kid wearing the gauntlet with the type of photos that Cameron recommended. Just as important - did you design the glove in 3D then print it, or obtain the file elsewhere. If you designed it, perhaps you should have a few screenshots of your mesh/renders.

An online portfolio is your chance to put your best foot forward... perhaps checkout other makers or prop shops to see how they share their work and aim for that level of quality and presentation.

Just my dime, presented to you in attempt to be as helpful. Take my advice per what you paid for it. ;-)

A tip for effects industry portfolios that comes from Dick Smith is fewer, better pictures. You only want to show your best examples of your best work. I would challenge yourself to cut out half of what you have there.

Be clear about what you did on each project, because what may be obvious to you might not be to the person looking at it. Did you do the 3D modeling and design work, 3D printing, bodyshopping, paint, electronics, etc.? And be specific about your methods, ie: programmed on Arduino, -- now the person knows you have that skillset, or whatever it may be.

You do want to put some time into taking nice pictures to show. Digital is cheap, so play around with different lighting, backgrounds, and positions to find what shows off your project well. I've taken 50 pictures to get one or two good ones many times. Some of your main images on each project look like progress photos. Things like the roll of tape holding up Wheems, R2 dome with empty panels, Infinity Gauntlet in pieces make them look unfinished. With some better pictures to really showcase each piece, you can really elevate the quality of what you're presenting.

I agree with the above. Nice work. The presentation could be cleaner and a brief intro or description of the two projects would help. Perhaps consider a bright white and well-lit background for the r2 head. Nothing else in the shot.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back