Pictures of Wilco Malcolm Reynolds Firefly Pistol

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Techcetera, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

If anyone out there is wondering just what they get when they order a Mal Reynolds resin pistol from monstersinmotion.com

Nice clean lines, a bit of flashing to clean up but not bad. It's a Wilco so the trigger guard is the wrong shape and of course there's the whole "hammer" issue but a little sculpting with a Dremel... The backstrap's curve is very close to correct but not quite right. The tip of the barrell is a little wonky but I've heard that careful application of heat might help straighten it. Once it's cleaned and painted it'll make a good carry piece in the holster with a costume.
    It cost me $60 to get it to my door and took about 10 days, and I'm in Canada. The Customs guys opened the package but it wasn't delayed or anything. I'm happy with it but I just won a much nicer one on Ebay (were any of you bidding against me? It's a black rotocast kit)

2. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First off, welcome! :thumbsup

Unfortunately you paid $20 more for a poor recast of a Wilco's model. Its widely known that MiM have recasted in the past especially the Wilco Mal. If you plan on getting another Mal or Firefly/Serenity replica just contact Wilco directly.

The black roto cast on eBay is a recast of a SidKit Mal. Recasting is a big no no and buying a recast is just as bad. I know you're new on the board and probably not aware. Give this a read http://www.therpf.com/f9/mim-again-recasting-53394/

3. Fuzzual

Fuzzual Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dorian is right, however, I was gifted this same cast for Christmas. My wife, god bless her, found one of these online and was able to get it for around $35. It's a bit rough, but you are right, with a little work, it will actually turn out as a great little piece.

And welcome man, glad to have you here.

4. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

Well, the 'extra' $20 was shipping to Canada from the US.

I've tried buying from eBay My World - wilcomodels but there's nothing there for sale "Your search returned 0 items."

MIM displayed a retail box when purchasing but the invoice said "Remove from box for first class" Hmmm, less than scrupulous perhaps?

As far as the rotocast is concerned, I understand the morals involved in plagerizing someone else's work. Obviously there's a lot I need to learn about who is copying what!
    Thanks for the advice.
    Ken

5. Sundowner

Ya I dont blame you, I had a lot of learning to do when I came to the boards lol. Wilco said he wont sell on eBay anymore. You just have to e-mail him, several folks including me has his info or just message him through eBay. I have made several wilcos and they really can be an excellent piece!

6. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

Thanks again for the advice and for the friendly words.
    I really wouldn't have purchased from MiM if I knew better first.
    Apologies to Matsuo and Wilco and whoever else's toes they've trodden upon.
    Ken

7. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

Progress

8. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

A little more progress

9. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

Getting closer

10. Sundowner

Looking good!

11. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

Thanks
    Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get Rub 'N Buff in Canada.
    I did find a place that has 1 tube of Antique Gold left but it's clear across the city. On the plus side, it's actually nice enough out to take my car so I'll make a cruise of it.

12. Sundowner

nice! I'm looking for a cuiser right now for summer. Thinking Chevelle.

13. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

14. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

I think I'm finished
    -The base color is Krylon semi-flat black
    -The trigger guard and frame are Tamiya TS-38 'Gun Metal'
    -The bronze 'worn' areas are Humbrol 171 'Antique Bronze Metallic'
    -The thumbscrews are Humbrol 53 'Gunmetal' (lighter than the Tamiya)
    -The grips have an underlayer of Humbrol 160 'German Camo Red-Brown' matte, applied with a q-tip, and then Humbrol 73 'Wine' matte and Humbrol 27004 'Gunmetal' (almost black) streaked on over top with a tattered makeup sponge.
    -The whole thing is sealed with Tamiya TS-80 'Flat Clear' (THIN coats - dries fast)

15. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

Time to start on a holster

16. Sundowner

Hahaha actually I may take a look at that! I look forward to your holster. I'm looking at adding one to my collection

17. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

18. Techcetera

Techcetera New Member

19. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well check out the new kid, all doing his research and using the search function on his own! Well done! You could give lessons to all the other new kids.

Very much welcome! (and your gun looks great!) :thumbsup

20. Sundowner

Some rep headed your way! Nice work!

21. WeirdTigger27

WeirdTigger27 New Member

Has anyone heard from the Wilco folks lately? I'm a new browncoat on a hunt for this pistol. I found a hotmail email for them, I also tried to get in touch with them though eBay. If anyone has updated information it would be most appreciated.

22. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Someone said that Wilco was all but shut down now. I contacted him about a year ago inquiring about a Bladerunner pistol he was selling but I never went through with the purchase. I heard to many stories about it taking forever for people to get what they ordered and I really didn't want to mess with that.

23. WeirdTigger27

WeirdTigger27 New Member

Thank you for the reply! It's been a few weeks since I emailed them. Thought they might have been busy with the holiday.

24. Sundowner

From what he has said, his wife is in very poor health and he has been taking care of her. I think he has put prop building on hold for awhile.

25. WeirdTigger27

WeirdTigger27 New Member

Understandable. I hope that things get better for him and his wife. Thank you all for the information.

26. darkev2

darkev2 Well-Known Member

Hello Folks

Okay I going to admit that I'm a late comer to liking and then purchasing Captain Mal's Pistol. I want to stress the latecomer part because given how long ago "some" of you have gotten yours it now (January 2013) seems that "most" if not "all" of the "Original" coffers have dried up.

The first kit I got of Mal's Pistol was from I'm sorry to say MIM. I did not know it was a recast because I had not been to many boards (and I didn't know you folks here existed) at the time and the one I'm usually on "Starshipmodler.net" really didn't have a lot of background info at the time I purchased it. The kit has stayed in the box for a long while given it was shaped like a banana and only now am I in the process of attempting to fix it. Now I did subsequently find the "real" Wilco and ordered one of his kits. While this "original" is "far" better I'm sort of peeved that it also has a drooping barrel (not as obvious) as well as a slight left twist at the end. I also purchased a while back the kit on ebay (10 piece if memory serves) ,which to my "HAPPY" surprise did not have any droop at all. However given what I found on this board, I rather unhappy to find out that this kit is perhaps a recast of Sid's (May he rest in Peace) Pistol.

So here we are, not a lot of choices out there now besides QMX and well I sort of like the "firefly" version a heck of a lot better. I have accumulated over the last year enough parts and materials to try my hand at my own build of the Pistol. Now all I have to do is put knife, dremel, other modeling tools, and ability (limited as it is) to this effort. I just want to say that given what is available "now" PLEASE don't be too hard on those who have gotten recasts (knowingly or not). I would have "loved" to have brought another original version (heck I even found Phil just recently but was told he is no longer producing such) but that I'm sorry to say is how it goes.

Smiles

DarKev2

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013