Firefly Collection - Progress Updates

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just finished my Dobson comm device and thought I'd shoot a quick vid to share. The Dobs device has been documented here:

I added the 4th gen iPod touch to the found parts and edited the video myself. :)

Attachments

• 386191366_1029809828212240_5076816046263266431_n.mp4
    4.6 MB
This is my newest project. The Alliance pistol from Serenity. These are WIP pics. Still a fair amount to do yet, but most of the heavy lifting is done.

Side note: does anyone have a really high end 3D scanner? I have 2 of the Alliance logos in resin that go into the grips of this pistol but one is snapped in half. Would love to scan these and have 2 nice ones. They are about 1.250” in diameter. Not a ton of detail, but what is there is very small.

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpeg
    IMG_1519.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1520.jpeg
    IMG_1520.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1523.jpeg
    IMG_1523.jpeg
    905 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1522.jpeg
    IMG_1522.jpeg
    958 KB · Views: 80
This part is one of the most challenging to mod since it is solid metal. I have been able to carve out the majority of it with a hacksaw, but it needs to be cleaned up so that it fits under the barrel. I still haven’t trammed my new mill yet so I’m thinking that this would be an excellent first project on that machine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
I'm so glad that people still collect and build Firefly props. Those are the ONLY props I will never get rid of. That comms device is legendary!

I feel exactly the same. Always warms my heart to see the signal still going.

Progress update!

Mockup trigger guard 3D printed and in place. Also had to make the small plate on the handle that covers one of the buttons. It was missing on this used paintball gun. The under barrel piece was a lot of work. Probably a few hours of hacksaw and then mill work.

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpeg
    IMG_1530.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1529.jpeg
    IMG_1529.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1526.jpeg
    IMG_1526.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1525.jpeg
    IMG_1525.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 68
Finished these 2 parts last night. Under barrel part finished, tapped/threaded and mounted.

Grip button plate fabbed, polished and installed.

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1532.JPG
    IMG_1532.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 53
I decided to remodel the Alliance logo that will get printed in resin and installed in the grips. The photos from the hero prop auction show the details and the texture around the logos really clearly, so I wanted to try and capture that. Printing them later today.

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpeg
    IMG_1533.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 42
Can you get ahold of some Alginate? Seems like the cheapest way would be to mold the good one with alginate and cast a copy or 3.

Can you get ahold of some Alginate? Seems like the cheapest way would be to mold the good one with alginate and cast a copy or 3.

It turns out that I was incorrect. The logos that I have are not from any original source, they were fan made. Some of the detail was missed on the castings that I have, or so it seems. Maybe the reference material wasn’t around when they were made? I used a hi res pic of the hero prop to recreate the logo so it should be super crisp.

I have adjusted the inline of the center shape to be a hair thicker and I’m printing that now. In the interest of posting all progress, here’s the print before the adjustment.

Also, I think that 1.250” diameter is too big. I’m printing the next two at 1” and 1.125” to see which looks closer to the hero prop.

Attachments

• IMG_1536.jpeg
    IMG_1536.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 48
The correct size of the Alliance logos in the grips is 1.125” diameter. I will be trying a first for me process for drilling the holes in the rubber grips. Placing the grip in the freezer overnight should allow me to use a spade bit to drill them out. People do this with hockey pucks for awards.

Also installed the lights here over lunch. The trigger was wired already so using it as a momentary switch to activate the blue lights was fairly straightforward. Here’s a vid:

Attachments

• IMG_1540.mov
    16.6 MB
Very happy with the Alliance logo insert now. I may be tempted to run a handful of these at some point :)

Attachments

• side_by_side_resin_alliance_logos2.jpg
    side_by_side_resin_alliance_logos2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 54
This needs more buffing when my fingers recover, but it’s a perfect fit. This 60 degree angled piece of aluminum covers all of the holes in the top of the barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_1548.jpeg
    IMG_1548.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1547.jpeg
    IMG_1547.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
Looks great and sounds good if you do a run.

I will do a small run of them. Probably offer them unfinished or finished. Once I have the thickness that they need to be dialed in I’ll post the info here. My 1.125” spade bit arrives this weekend so I’ll drill them out Saturday.

Alliance logo holes drilled. Putting the grips in the freezer overnight was the correct approach. The spade bit went through them like butter. Now I will rerun the resin logos just a tiny bit larger to fit snug. They will also be thicker to fill in on the back side.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 38
Lots of small completions today. All of the old trig guard areas cleaned up. Areas where the silver bullet logos are removed have black decals now. Alliance logo test fit is a success. Built a mini light box to hold the blue leds. Pic shows it unpainted. I’m printing version 2.0 of that now and I’ll paint it white. Lights should be even brighter when done.

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1550.jpeg
    IMG_1550.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
Mini lightbox complete and installed. This really simplifies getting the led lights even and helps to keep them in place.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back