Pictures of Wilco Malcolm Reynolds Firefly Pistol

Techcetera

If anyone out there is wondering just what they get when they order a Mal Reynolds resin pistol from monstersinmotion.com

Nice clean lines, a bit of flashing to clean up but not bad. It's a Wilco so the trigger guard is the wrong shape and of course there's the whole "hammer" issue but a little sculpting with a Dremel... The backstrap's curve is very close to correct but not quite right. The tip of the barrell is a little wonky but I've heard that careful application of heat might help straighten it. Once it's cleaned and painted it'll make a good carry piece in the holster with a costume.
It cost me $60 to get it to my door and took about 10 days, and I'm in Canada. The Customs guys opened the package but it wasn't delayed or anything. I'm happy with it but I just won a much nicer one on Ebay (were any of you bidding against me? It's a black rotocast kit)

First off, welcome! :thumbsup

Unfortunately you paid $20 more for a poor recast of a Wilco's model. Its widely known that MiM have recasted in the past especially the Wilco Mal. If you plan on getting another Mal or Firefly/Serenity replica just contact Wilco directly.

The black roto cast on eBay is a recast of a SidKit Mal. Recasting is a big no no and buying a recast is just as bad. I know you're new on the board and probably not aware. Give this a read http://www.therpf.com/f9/mim-again-recasting-53394/

Dorian is right, however, I was gifted this same cast for Christmas. My wife, god bless her, found one of these online and was able to get it for around $35. It's a bit rough, but you are right, with a little work, it will actually turn out as a great little piece.

And welcome man, glad to have you here.

Well, the 'extra' $20 was shipping to Canada from the US.

I've tried buying from eBay My World - wilcomodels but there's nothing there for sale "Your search returned 0 items."

MIM displayed a retail box when purchasing but the invoice said "Remove from box for first class" Hmmm, less than scrupulous perhaps?

As far as the rotocast is concerned, I understand the morals involved in plagerizing someone else's work. Obviously there's a lot I need to learn about who is copying what!
Thanks for the advice.
Ken

Ya I dont blame you, I had a lot of learning to do when I came to the boards lol. Wilco said he wont sell on eBay anymore. You just have to e-mail him, several folks including me has his info or just message him through eBay. I have made several wilcos and they really can be an excellent piece!

Thanks again for the advice and for the friendly words.
I really wouldn't have purchased from MiM if I knew better first.
Apologies to Matsuo and Wilco and whoever else's toes they've trodden upon.
Ken

Thanks
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get Rub 'N Buff in Canada.
I did find a place that has 1 tube of Antique Gold left but it's clear across the city. On the plus side, it's actually nice enough out to take my car so I'll make a cruise of it.

I think I'm finished
-The base color is Krylon semi-flat black
-The trigger guard and frame are Tamiya TS-38 'Gun Metal'
-The bronze 'worn' areas are Humbrol 171 'Antique Bronze Metallic'
-The thumbscrews are Humbrol 53 'Gunmetal' (lighter than the Tamiya)
-The grips have an underlayer of Humbrol 160 'German Camo Red-Brown' matte, applied with a q-tip, and then Humbrol 73 'Wine' matte and Humbrol 27004 'Gunmetal' (almost black) streaked on over top with a tattered makeup sponge.
-The whole thing is sealed with Tamiya TS-80 'Flat Clear' (THIN coats - dries fast)

Hahaha actually I may take a look at that! I look forward to your holster. I'm looking at adding one to my collection

Well check out the new kid, all doing his research and using the search function on his own! Well done! You could give lessons to all the other new kids.

Very much welcome! (and your gun looks great!) :thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back