Pepakura replica helmet models

Ditto to everyone. Thanks for linking your blog though. Just starting out with Pep and love all your Star Wars helmets! Thanks so much for sharing:)!

thanks DB for all your works I love your files......sorry to hear of your troubles, I had your blog saved but looks like you moved, guess I'll update again.

cheers!

Here's one of the first helmets that was requested. I haven't been able to model it because, well...I sucked at modeling at the time.
I'm modeling the scout trooper helmet from mixed references. I'll move verts to get it more true to the screen used helmet posted on starwarshelmets.com. It isn't going to be accurate, but I'll do my best. This one is going to be released in .pdf format.

I know the pic makes the shape look wierd, but that's the perspective camera view in Milkshape 3d. I modeled the visor a long time ago, so I need to clean it up, but it is about 1/2 way done.

There is someone working on the Optimus Prime movie helmet but it isn't finished. I haven't seen an accurate old school Prime helmet yet.

I'm still working on getting the links up on my blog, so be patient. There are going to be some things you haven't seen posted yet.

Edit: Download link is in my blog

Last edited:
Hey DB, do you have a link to your pep prop forum? I had it saved on my old computer but got a new one and lost the link. I cant find it on google anywhere.

DungOBeetle, for anything game props related, if it runs on PC you could rip the model off and start your modeling from here, it would make your life easier while making it "your" model and prop...

Hey DB, do you have a link to your pep prop forum? I had it saved on my old computer but got a new one and lost the link. I cant find it on google anywhere.
It is closed. The new forum will be up as soon as I get the bugs worked out. It will be a vBulletin forum instead of phpbb.

Ahhh. I'd seen your post over on the 405th (in between the DDoS attacks they've been suffering lately... :angry ), but that post had a little less information than this thread. As I said over there, I'm sorry to hear that some ... jerk... decided that getting your excellent files for free wasn't enough for him, he had to try to claim credit for making them as well, but I'm glad to hear that those of us who AREN'T ... jerks... will still have access to the result of your skills. Thanks for your willingness to share with those of us whose talents and skills lie in other areas and need a hand up to create some neat props and costume stuff, and rest assured I will retain your name on any files you made which I use.

I am looking forward to your new pep forum, I had just joined the other one when you shut it down.

I have just started your 2nd Iron Man helmet(my first ever pep or prop build) and can't wait to get to a point where I can show of your work...that's assuming I don't lose my sight cutting the thing out.. ;)

Thanks DB for all that you have done to help those of us out that can't sculpt to save our you know whats.

I'm too, not just me.. but all my friends who costume maker in Indonesia still waiting your new pep forum and your new pdo :)

I always happy when get some pepakura form you, and never disclaim tha's pep is mine
You have made a big change in my country since I tell my friend your forum.. My friend no confuse to make helmet and prop

I really thanx to you, and can't wait for your new forum
I hpe there is a ton of kamen rider helmet :)

People have been claiming my work as their own and editing my models without crediting me. I am no longer releasing my models. All links have been disabled.

Sorry that people are plagerising your work so horribly. I'm very new to this venue, but have been working on drawing 3D models of a project of mine in AutoCAD 2000. Is there a good way to convert these files into useful geometry for something like the pepakura models that you're so skilled at? Any advice on software or technique would be much appreciated.

It is closed. The new forum will be up as soon as I get the bugs worked out. It will be a vBulletin forum instead of phpbb.

Good to hear....so many bugs and holes in phpbb. On the other hand the add-ons are easier to install.... *** for tat...to each their own.

Keep up the great work DB!!

Sorry that people are plagerising your work so horribly. I'm very new to this venue, but have been working on drawing 3D models of a project of mine in AutoCAD 2000. Is there a good way to convert these files into useful geometry for something like the pepakura models that you're so skilled at? Any advice on software or technique would be much appreciated.
Pepakura designer can read .dxf files. Just export your cad model as .dxf and pep can work with it. I did it with Wizardofflight's Boba Fett gauntlet rocket, but the thing was too tiny to put together.

I know a lot of you guys have been waiting for the Rocketeer helmet and pack. I've just gotten back to it. I have been trying to get the helmet right. Here's what I have. I don't know if I'm going to put the eyes in or just have a template to cut them out. The way I did this mesh is low poly but should have an incredibly smooth result for the poly count. Note the zig-zag down the center. This is not the easiest helmet to model. I tried modeling it following the "weld" lines and it came out horrible. I am happy with the shape of it and my edge flow works well until I try to put the eyes in. :( I'm going to model it with splines in 3ds max and see if I get a better result, but I'll release this one as a .pdo unlocked with no password after I model the vent things.

looks great! If you cannot mold the eyes, would you be able to make the outline of the eyes printed onto the front of the helmet? Or would that be more trouble than its worth matching a skin up with the mesh?

looks great! If you cannot mold the eyes, would you be able to make the outline of the eyes printed onto the front of the helmet? Or would that be more trouble than its worth matching a skin up with the mesh?
I fixed the eyes. They will need a lot of smoothing, but it will work. The model still doesn't look quite right, but the perspective camera in 3d modeling applications can be deceiving.
finhead3.jpg

I still need to model the vent things. I'm not going to do the welds, they can be sculpted from bondo.

I'm filling out my collection of SW pep helmet models. My latest is the donut for the ROTJ Endor Rebel helmet. Some trimming will be needed on the inside edges and possibly the top of the donut, but I modeled them for support while glassing, so they can be removed altogether after most of the fiberglass and bondo work is done. If anyone knows the proper dimensions, I can definitely use the info so I can release the scaled model.
endorreb3.jpg

endordonut.jpg

I may decide to extend the lower part of the donut into a solid piece like some of the kits I've seen. It may be easier to fit it to the cloth cap.

ahh the eyes look quite nice! I think leaving the trim option on the doughnut would be a good idea so you could trim it to fit your head while wearing a cap exactly.

heck yes! i was just going to ask you if a rocketeer helmet was in the works! the welds could easily be done by hot glue when the tubes on the sides are attached. im excited.

also, i wanted to pitch the idea of the helmet and back pack from 2001 space odyssey

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back