P1 Elder Open-Mouth Sculpt (Grayback)- Sculpt Finished 5/3/2013

Double H

Sr Member
Hey there guys and gals,

Damn sculpting is addictive, if it were a drug I would be high as a kite. I have just finished off one project and before I have even finished casting it I have decided to start another - a P1 open-mouth.

Always wanted to do one of these, been in the pipe line for a while but just never got my ass in to gear and started it. I chose the open-mouth over the closed because in my opinion the open mouth has a much more sadistic and evil feel/look about it.

Not sure if a bio will fit over it, but can't say am fussed if it doesn't. I plan on making this sculpt a 1:1 scale (in your face size http://www.thehunterslair.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/tongue.png ) to give a full scale rather than make it smaller to fit under a bio. In my opinion, an open-mouth pred should not have a bio covering it - whats the point in that? but everyone to there own lol

So.............. clay slung has began at 0900 hours this morning, so looking forward to this. I will be working on this as time comes available until my work bench and time clears then can hammer on with it. This is what I have got so far ....

IMAG1072.jpg

[sup]not bad H how open is the mouth gunna be? Cause if you make it one of those full open mouth i am curious to see the fine detail you put into it. I love all your work so far and look at your stuff and try to see how you did it so i can self teach myself instead of buying from someone. Anyways good luck and can't wait to see your product as it comes along.[/sup]

[sup]not bad H how open is the mouth gunna be? Cause if you make it one of those full open mouth i am curious to see the fine detail you put into it. I love all your work so far and look at your stuff and try to see how you did it so i can self teach myself instead of buying from someone. Anyways good luck and can't wait to see your product as it comes along.[/sup]

Thanks bud really appreciate those kind words, but I ain't the best. Am gonna go down the road of making this a fully open mouth with all the trimmings lol will be posting pictures of this stage by stage (as with the p2 cobra head sculpt) so keep am eye out.

Man, you can't sit still can you Jason?
Don't tell me, it'll be done and pulled by the weekend. Lol
Good luck with it buddy. Not enough open mouth p1's around IMHO

nice one dude..i want to try a sculpt next so will watch and learn.

Thanks man, hope I can help you along the way

Man, you can't sit still can you Jason?
Don't tell me, it'll be done and pulled by the weekend. Lol
Good luck with it buddy. Not enough open mouth p1's around IMHO

Man you know I can't sit still. Well actually sculpting is all about sitting still, for hours, slipping slowly into madness..... sorry what where we talking about again? :)

Thanks man

ps - it has already been finished, moulded and pulled all before the weekend ;)

looking to your sculpt!!!!
is nice to see some open mouth heads you need to work full detail on the throat as you said an open mouth has an epic evil look but a closed mouth i think looks evil too
the bio does not fit even on a closed mouth i mean if the head is well done does not fit, can fit if you make the jaw shorter but looks bad

Looking forward to seeing this J. I am sure it will be awesome. Also something I would like to attempt in the near future. Just for the contrast with the other. Probably a P1 or P2 open mouth. no need for a bio in my opinion. I have also spoken with my very clever Engineers at work about a moving mandible and they have come up with a relatively simple way if doing it. Might try that too. Good luck with this sculpt. Waiting to see your progress.

Looking forward to seeing this J. I am sure it will be awesome. Also something I would like to attempt in the near future. Just for the contrast with the other. Probably a P1 or P2 open mouth. no need for a bio in my opinion. I have also spoken with my very clever Engineers at work about a moving mandible and they have come up with a relatively simple way if doing it. Might try that too. Good luck with this sculpt. Waiting to see your progress.

Thanks man, am doing a bit of work on this later. The moving mandibles sounds good, what have they got in mind?

looking to your sculpt!!!!
is nice to see some open mouth heads you need to work full detail on the throat as you said an open mouth has an epic evil look but a closed mouth i think looks evil too
the bio does not fit even on a closed mouth i mean if the head is well done does not fit, can fit if you make the jaw shorter but looks bad

Thanks bud, will make sure to work on the inside of mouth and throat details. I have various ref photos from different angles lol

Update time

Got a couple of hours free time and thought that I would hammer on with this a little. I am not keen on the area around the eyes or the brows (they're too bulbous) - actually its annoying the crap outta me lol I then thought that maybe it would not look so bad if I added the mandibles in so I managed to get one side added. The teeth and lower mandibles are just they are reference. But this is where its at so far...

IMAG1086.jpg

Thats for looking guys and gals, and please, let me know what you think

Looking good Jason. It may be the angle of the pic but would the upper mandible not look better if it was out as far as the lower?

Think its the angle. To be honest, I thought that the lower mandible has more movement than the top ones so there for open wider. They were more parallel to begin with (the lower ones brought in line) but it just didn't look right lol

Update again for today.... had a spare 30 mins so cracked on macking out the other side of the jaw/mandible. Also removed and smoothed off the balkiness of the eye brow's. I figure that I will added the details for them in later but for now looks a little for Berserker-ish than a P1....

IMAG1089.jpg

What do you think?

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, the only thing I can think about is maybe open up the mouth itself some more by lowering the chin. Other than that it looks great, can't wait to see more updates on this.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, the only thing I can think about is maybe open up the mouth itself some more by lowering the chin. Other than that it looks great, can't wait to see more updates on this.

Thanks for the feedback bud, I have taken your advice and used it. I too thought that mouth area should be opened wider (i think memories from my closed mouth took effect lol) so I have now dropped the chin about 2 or 3 cm which is just enough.

Sling it baby!!! Sling it!!! Can you measure it? Is it wide? Or tall?

Oh, its being slung bud! I have already said it but if clay slinging was a drug I would be high as a kite!

As for sizes, from chin to high dread is 19inchs - thats no taking the extra length add in by the open lower mandibles and is 13 inchs across the forehead - dread tip to dread tip.

On average, each lower mandible is max of 9 inchs from jaw 'bone' to tooth.

Thats looking mean so far.

Thanks man

That's what she said. lol

Bad ass Jason!! How did I miss this!! Keep those updates coming! (y)

Thanks man, still got a long way to go but starting to get the basics. More updates to come soon

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back