Our T.A.R.D.I.S. ...

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by lharles, Mar 28, 2012.

1. lharles

lharles Well-Known Member

Built toward the end of this last year over a couple months of weekends, along with bits & pieces of free time.

I took pictures sporadically along the way, (mostly to show to family & friends), so - obviously - I don't have step by step detail.

The T.A.R.D.I.S. is based on the 2005 version used by Eccleston & Tennant. It's reasonably accurate with the obvious exception being only half as deep as it should.

https://tinyurl.com/ydx6gkzu

Basically it's full height, half depth & functions as the entrance to our 'Museum of Fictional Artifacts' room at our house.

Hope it's amusing to some folks. :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. Fennec

Fennec Active Member

This is awesome! How long did it take to make?
    I know you said " a couple of moths of weekends" but I dont really get that :lol

Either way, this is stunning work! Makes me want to give a shot at making one!

Is there anything on the inside? Or is it just plain?
    And by the looks of it, it seems you made it out of MDF, sturdy work! :cheers

lharles likes this.
  3. lharles

If I were to break it down into a continuous stretch of time, I'd suspect it took me about 40 hours of work to do. It's the only thing I've built to date that I've had any help on. My father-in-law helped me with the initial frame build over a couple hours one weekend. Otherwise, I trudged through figuring out everything else myself. :) For a guy who has always considered himself a complete carpentry moron, it turned out okay.

The materials used to make it are a sort of mixed bag. 4x4s at the corners, 2x4s in between -top & bottom, 2 & 4 panel custom bi-fold doors salvaged from the $5-10 pile at a nearby door manufacturing company, (they're thick & VERY sturdy - partially mdf - I had to add pieces to break up the longer panels on the 2 panel doors), plywood floor & roof, 1x1, furring strips, bits of 4x4 & various other stuff for the roof, (the slant is made out of foam board that I reinforced underneath).

Inside on either side of the doors I have push pin board with drawings & pictures representing all of the major cast members of the modern 'Doctor Who' along with individual images of all the previous Doctors. It's the entrance to a 10 x 12 room where I have a restaurant booth, (corner & 2 straight lengths), that I got from a craigslist seller & reupholstered, (that was 2x as hard as making the T.A.R.D.I.S.), as I had originally planned to set the room up as a 50s theme dealio. The room is evolving & we're currently calling it the 'Museum of Fictional Artifacts'. It's got all of our goofy movie & TV stuff in there. :) It's gonna' wind up being our family room for the game nights we try & have somewhat regularly.

Glad you liked it. :)

4. timelordjedi777

timelordjedi777 Well-Known Member

I love this it is so totally awesome. I want the same thing but my wife would kill me. Can we get a picture of inside to. I would also like to see how you did you hinges.

lharles likes this.
  5. lharles

Yup-yup.

I don't have a picture of the hinges handy, but I'll snap some later on this morning, if I don't forget.

My wife went along with this particular process because the room isn't in the main part of our house...it's built into part of our garage. :)

6. Sedulous Studios

Sedulous Studios Active Member

That is so cool! I love the TARDIS as a door idea--I've seen it before but it really fits well.

lharles likes this.
  7. Lurksmith

Lurksmith Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This exact build has been on my to-do wishlist for months. Love it. This and your companion cube have been like a one-two punch of inspiration. And now I see you also did a flux capacitor. Awesome. I have to get building.

lharles likes this.
  8. lharles

Hinge/interior pics added. Basically, I dug a groove out of the 4x4s to mount the one side of the hinges so that it took a little less depth & the outside - around the doors - are furring strips, basically looking like trim around them.

So, a couple pics of the hinges, mid-swing, (you can see the furring strip trim there) & a couple interior pics... {...all of the art attached to the inside walls of the T.A.R.D.I.S. came from the inter-webs, by the way...I'm horribly incompetent when it comes to drawing & such...}

:)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  9. DarthBatman

DarthBatman Member

This looks great! I wanted to do this for my bedroom door too, now I got an idea of what it could look like. :D

lharles likes this.
  10. timelordjedi777

timelordjedi777 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the extra pictures.

lharles likes this.
  11. sycor

sycor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So, what color blue is Tardis blue?

lharles likes this.
  12. lharles

I wound up using a color that I compared to samples from photos/screencaps from the show, from Home Depot. I still have some left in the garage & can probably come up with the details from it for you, once I dig it out. :) I'll add it to the thread when I find it.

13. ChildOfTime

ChildOfTime New Member

That is fantastic. Great idea for a door to a fictional museum room.

lharles likes this.
  14. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

That is excellent; you must have a big house? can you snap some pic’s with the door open showing into the fictional museum room. :eek

And love the colour as well, do you have the light working on the roof? :thumbsup

lharles likes this.
  15. lharles

The house isn't actually all that big, considering there are six of us living in the place, (I've got four kids). That's why the T.A.R.D.I.S. is attached as the entrance of a room...in the garage. Still, it's a 10ft x 11ft space so it's big enough. :)

I recorded a short video of the space/room behind the T.A.R.D.I.S. for friends/family not too long ago but - as I told them - it isn't really much to see yet.

I'll take a few pics for folks to see though, just for perspective if nothing else. It's not much to write home about, currently - very much a work in progress, (although the objects I've started threads on, that I've made, are in said room).

I plan on digging out the paint from Home Depot today so that I can post that info for folks who may want it. :)

As for the light on top of the T.A.R.D.I.S., it was something that was in the plans initially & which I think I'll eventually do, (once the bulk of the room it's the entrance to is finished), but it sort of became less important as my interest/passion in regards to making/finding all these things became a lot more intense. I figure that I'll add the T.A.R.D.I.S. launch sound, light the sign(s), & put a slow/pulsating light in the top, triggered by the opening/closing of the doors, after all that's done. :D

16. jazzygeoffery

jazzygeoffery Well-Known Member

This is awesome! Great work! This deserves to be seen by more people.

lharles likes this.
  17. lharles

Kind of you to say. :)

I'm adding a picture of the paint label of the blue I used & some interior pics of the room, as a couple folks asked for both... :)

18. Rassilon

The open door shots give it that Transcendental look, Very fine build very fine indeed.

lharles likes this.
  19. lharles

Not too often I do something that can be referred to as transcendental. :)

WOOT~!

20. Rassilon

Hey, it it me four go's at spelling transcendental. :unsure

lharles likes this.
  21. lharles

I think it took roughly that many for me to get it as well...& I was LOOKING at your post. :)

22. Kang1

Kang1 New Member

That is pretty awesome!

lharles likes this.
  23. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

I don't know about transcendental, but you actually made a TARDIS that's bigger on on the inside. No small feat, that. :)

lharles likes this.
  24. lharles

I'm amused that I can say that very thing. :)

25. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Member

AWESOME WORK
    That's exactly what I was thinking of doing!!!! A half TARDIS that opens to a theatre room or study.

....But first I need a house.

lharles likes this.
  26. lharles

I initially considered making it the entrance to the house. ;)

27. DirtyHarry

DirtyHarry New Member

that is pure awesome.... great job! but.......this gives me some very,very bad ideas..time to bust out the Sonic-Screwdriver!!!!! except this time i wont be putting up cabinets :D

lharles likes this.
  28. lharles

Good luck & I hope my feeble input here might be of some help to ya'. :)

29. Darth Emphatic

Darth Emphatic New Member

Awesome work and I would love to replicate this, but my skills are pretty weak for this type of build, though I am very crafty.

lharles likes this.
  30. lharles

This was the second thing I built, (once I realized that I had an interest in building props --- & it hooked me big time to take THIS on).

Things I'd attempted to build in the past had been horrible, painful failures, (I once built a shelf for a small television that was so lopsided it was comical & managed to put a drill bit through my right index finger during the building), but something just clicked once I actually got intellectually & emotionally involved in the process.

Don't look at it as a weakness in terms of skills but rather an opportunity to learn new ones. :) That's worked for me to this point & I'm actually getting to the point where I'm not too shabby at some of this stuff. :D