Our T.A.R.D.I.S. ...

lharles

Sr Member
Built toward the end of this last year over a couple months of weekends, along with bits & pieces of free time.

I took pictures sporadically along the way, (mostly to show to family & friends), so - obviously - I don't have step by step detail.

The T.A.R.D.I.S. is based on the 2005 version used by Eccleston & Tennant. It's reasonably accurate with the obvious exception being only half as deep as it should.

https://tinyurl.com/ydx6gkzu

Basically it's full height, half depth & functions as the entrance to our 'Museum of Fictional Artifacts' room at our house.

Hope it's amusing to some folks. :)

Last edited:
This is awesome! How long did it take to make?
I know you said " a couple of moths of weekends" but I dont really get that :lol

Either way, this is stunning work! Makes me want to give a shot at making one!

Is there anything on the inside? Or is it just plain?
And by the looks of it, it seems you made it out of MDF, sturdy work! :cheers

If I were to break it down into a continuous stretch of time, I'd suspect it took me about 40 hours of work to do. It's the only thing I've built to date that I've had any help on. My father-in-law helped me with the initial frame build over a couple hours one weekend. Otherwise, I trudged through figuring out everything else myself. :) For a guy who has always considered himself a complete carpentry moron, it turned out okay.

The materials used to make it are a sort of mixed bag. 4x4s at the corners, 2x4s in between -top & bottom, 2 & 4 panel custom bi-fold doors salvaged from the $5-10 pile at a nearby door manufacturing company, (they're thick & VERY sturdy - partially mdf - I had to add pieces to break up the longer panels on the 2 panel doors), plywood floor & roof, 1x1, furring strips, bits of 4x4 & various other stuff for the roof, (the slant is made out of foam board that I reinforced underneath).

Inside on either side of the doors I have push pin board with drawings & pictures representing all of the major cast members of the modern 'Doctor Who' along with individual images of all the previous Doctors. It's the entrance to a 10 x 12 room where I have a restaurant booth, (corner & 2 straight lengths), that I got from a craigslist seller & reupholstered, (that was 2x as hard as making the T.A.R.D.I.S.), as I had originally planned to set the room up as a 50s theme dealio. The room is evolving & we're currently calling it the 'Museum of Fictional Artifacts'. It's got all of our goofy movie & TV stuff in there. :) It's gonna' wind up being our family room for the game nights we try & have somewhat regularly.

Glad you liked it. :)

This is awesome! How long did it take to make?
I know you said " a couple of moths of weekends" but I dont really get that :lol

Either way, this is stunning work! Makes me want to give a shot at making one!

Is there anything on the inside? Or is it just plain?
And by the looks of it, it seems you made it out of MDF, sturdy work! :cheers

I love this it is so totally awesome. I want the same thing but my wife would kill me. Can we get a picture of inside to. I would also like to see how you did you hinges.

Yup-yup.

I don't have a picture of the hinges handy, but I'll snap some later on this morning, if I don't forget.

My wife went along with this particular process because the room isn't in the main part of our house...it's built into part of our garage. :)

I love this it is so totally awesome. I want the same thing but my wife would kill me. Can we get a picture of inside to. I would also like to see how you did you hinges.

This exact build has been on my to-do wishlist for months. Love it. This and your companion cube have been like a one-two punch of inspiration. And now I see you also did a flux capacitor. Awesome. I have to get building.

Hinge/interior pics added. Basically, I dug a groove out of the 4x4s to mount the one side of the hinges so that it took a little less depth & the outside - around the doors - are furring strips, basically looking like trim around them.

So, a couple pics of the hinges, mid-swing, (you can see the furring strip trim there) & a couple interior pics... {...all of the art attached to the inside walls of the T.A.R.D.I.S. came from the inter-webs, by the way...I'm horribly incompetent when it comes to drawing & such...}

:)

Last edited:
I wound up using a color that I compared to samples from photos/screencaps from the show, from Home Depot. I still have some left in the garage & can probably come up with the details from it for you, once I dig it out. :) I'll add it to the thread when I find it.

So, what color blue is Tardis blue?

That is excellent; you must have a big house? can you snap some pic’s with the door open showing into the fictional museum room. :eek

And love the colour as well, do you have the light working on the roof? :thumbsup

The house isn't actually all that big, considering there are six of us living in the place, (I've got four kids). That's why the T.A.R.D.I.S. is attached as the entrance of a room...in the garage. Still, it's a 10ft x 11ft space so it's big enough. :)

I recorded a short video of the space/room behind the T.A.R.D.I.S. for friends/family not too long ago but - as I told them - it isn't really much to see yet.

I'll take a few pics for folks to see though, just for perspective if nothing else. It's not much to write home about, currently - very much a work in progress, (although the objects I've started threads on, that I've made, are in said room).

I plan on digging out the paint from Home Depot today so that I can post that info for folks who may want it. :)

As for the light on top of the T.A.R.D.I.S., it was something that was in the plans initially & which I think I'll eventually do, (once the bulk of the room it's the entrance to is finished), but it sort of became less important as my interest/passion in regards to making/finding all these things became a lot more intense. I figure that I'll add the T.A.R.D.I.S. launch sound, light the sign(s), & put a slow/pulsating light in the top, triggered by the opening/closing of the doors, after all that's done. :D

That is excellent; you must have a big house? can you snap some pic’s with the door open showing into the fictional museum room. :eek

And love the colour as well, do you have the light working on the roof? :thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back