Our creature work for the Volkswagen Star Wars Superbowl Commercial

TomSpinaDesigns

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

We had to keep this very quiet for the last few weeks, but it's great to finally be able to share some of the work we did for this fantastic commercial.

In mid-December, a production company came to us with an ambitious request - recreate a large number of aliens from the Star Wars cantina in a very short time... They had seen some of my early recreations of cantina masks and hoped we could draw on that experience to bring their characters to life.

In the end, we created 10 characters in about 2 weeks (with Christmas in the mix!) and then crated them to be sent off to the stage, where we would soon join them.

Those that know me personally, know that the Star Wars cantina was a scene that captured my imagination in 1977, and influences my work (and collecting) to this day. I've had the great privilege of meeting many of the talented artists who worked on the scene and hope that our work is a fitting tribute to what they created.

Those that know my team, know that they are always up for a challenge and I could not be more proud of what they did in our studio and on set. In addition to myself, the team included Mike Thomas, Patrick Louie, Brian Lewis, Richard Riley, Robb De Nicola, Rich Krusell, Mike Morello, Melissa Dooley, and Theresa Spina

With the slight head start of 4 old molds we had, we set about creating 7 new wearable masks, 5 pair of hands, 1 face appliance, 1 set of teeth with lip plumper, 2 full creatures from the waist up... and one arm stump for you-know-who.

Lucasfilm brought several original prequel alien masks/costumes to the set and really helped flesh out the scene.

I'll let the photos of the creations show the results of our team's work. But before we get to those, I'd like to thank the production company for their amazing work, as well as several folks at Lucasfilm and others who were kind enough to recommend us for the gig!

We'll be posting up more pics including some great behind the scenes shots soon. So be sure to click LIKE on our Facebook page to be kept updated - Tom Spina Designs | Facebook

For full size pics of our work and more info (including a link to the commercial if you haven't yet seen it!), please visit our site today -
Volkswagen Star Wars Superbowl Commercial Cantina Aliens

EDIT - they've put up a GREAT behind the scenes doc with tons of footage of our creatures (starting at around 3 minutes in) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn2vwwWVNPE

Thanks for looking!
best,
Tom

EDIT - we've put up a behind the scenes gallery on our site today... enjoy the pics!

http://www.tomspinadesigns.com/volkswagen-star-wars-cantina-superbowl-ad-bts.html

Last edited:
BTW - I saw the other thread going but since that was mostly vader and/or production critique, I'd start a fresh one about our work. Hope you enjoy!

best,
Tom

Great job! I must say that I thought some of the creatures were actually screen used!! You all did an outstanding job.

very very cool. saw the ad yesterday and was amazed by how great the FX came out. I actually thought they some how digitally used stock cantina footage and recorded new dialogue. that's a testament to how great of a job you did!!

That was a great commercial! Congrats Tom! I loved that Ponda Baba has his arm missing!!!

I know, right? I was thinking, "Why does this guy go BACK to the same bar where he got a limb lobbed off?" I'd be looking for another place to hang out! Sure, good prices, friendly service and great music, but still...! :lol

Very funny commercial. I love the dog but the Chalmun's cantina scenes were awesome. Very nice work. I guess Lord Vader has some down time once in a while. He never seems to miss a chance to choke a sucka. ;)

Awesome work, Tom! You sure assembled an all-star crew for this one. It's great to see all your hard work and dedication paying off.

:thumbsup AMAZING JOB...very talented people one and all. I was wondering who created all those creatures...was just amazed how detail they all were...loved that I didn't even see it coming. Had the dog losing weight..then WHAM.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back