Our creature work for the Volkswagen Star Wars Superbowl Commercial

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by TomSpinaDesigns, Feb 2, 2012.

1. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey all,

We had to keep this very quiet for the last few weeks, but it's great to finally be able to share some of the work we did for this fantastic commercial.

In mid-December, a production company came to us with an ambitious request - recreate a large number of aliens from the Star Wars cantina in a very short time... They had seen some of my early recreations of cantina masks and hoped we could draw on that experience to bring their characters to life.

In the end, we created 10 characters in about 2 weeks (with Christmas in the mix!) and then crated them to be sent off to the stage, where we would soon join them.

Those that know me personally, know that the Star Wars cantina was a scene that captured my imagination in 1977, and influences my work (and collecting) to this day. I've had the great privilege of meeting many of the talented artists who worked on the scene and hope that our work is a fitting tribute to what they created.

Those that know my team, know that they are always up for a challenge and I could not be more proud of what they did in our studio and on set. In addition to myself, the team included Mike Thomas, Patrick Louie, Brian Lewis, Richard Riley, Robb De Nicola, Rich Krusell, Mike Morello, Melissa Dooley, and Theresa Spina

With the slight head start of 4 old molds we had, we set about creating 7 new wearable masks, 5 pair of hands, 1 face appliance, 1 set of teeth with lip plumper, 2 full creatures from the waist up... and one arm stump for you-know-who.

Lucasfilm brought several original prequel alien masks/costumes to the set and really helped flesh out the scene.

I'll let the photos of the creations show the results of our team's work. But before we get to those, I'd like to thank the production company for their amazing work, as well as several folks at Lucasfilm and others who were kind enough to recommend us for the gig!

We'll be posting up more pics including some great behind the scenes shots soon. So be sure to click LIKE on our Facebook page to be kept updated - Tom Spina Designs | Facebook

For full size pics of our work and more info (including a link to the commercial if you haven't yet seen it!), please visit our site today -
    Volkswagen Star Wars Superbowl Commercial Cantina Aliens

EDIT - they've put up a GREAT behind the scenes doc with tons of footage of our creatures (starting at around 3 minutes in) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn2vwwWVNPE

Thanks for looking!
    best,
    Tom

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT - we've put up a behind the scenes gallery on our site today... enjoy the pics!

http://www.tomspinadesigns.com/volkswagen-star-wars-cantina-superbowl-ad-bts.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    James Kenobi 1138 and Supa troop like this.
  2. TomSpinaDesigns

BTW - I saw the other thread going but since that was mostly vader and/or production critique, I'd start a fresh one about our work. Hope you enjoy!

best,
    Tom

3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome Tom!

Well deserved!!

4. Idaho Jones

Idaho Jones Well-Known Member

:thumbsupNice work! The vibe was spot on. I only wish there would of been a shot looking thru the mouse aliens eye's..

5. steveo

steveo Sr Member

Great job! I must say that I thought some of the creatures were actually screen used!! You all did an outstanding job.

6. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tom, I've known you for years and your work always amazes me. Outstanding job.

7. agliarept

agliarept Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

very very cool. saw the ad yesterday and was amazed by how great the FX came out. I actually thought they some how digitally used stock cantina footage and recorded new dialogue. that's a testament to how great of a job you did!!

8. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tom, now I want your autograph!!!

9. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That was a great commercial! Congrats Tom! I loved that Ponda Baba has his arm missing!!!

10. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great job guys! (y)thumbsup

11. dblv25

dblv25 New Member

Saw it last night, excellent work!

12. paplooo

paplooo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow !
    well done !!!!!!!!!!

13. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know, right? I was thinking, "Why does this guy go BACK to the same bar where he got a limb lobbed off?" I'd be looking for another place to hang out! Sure, good prices, friendly service and great music, but still...! :lol

14. chad951

chad951 New Member

Very funny commercial. I love the dog but the Chalmun's cantina scenes were awesome. Very nice work. I guess Lord Vader has some down time once in a while. He never seems to miss a chance to choke a sucka. ;)

15. mechagrover

mechagrover New Member

Outstanding work!

16. SciFiMuseum

SciFiMuseum Well-Known Member

Great work Tom, we will have to get you to do a restoration project in the future for us.

17. superweasle

superweasle New Member

Very impressive work, the quality is top notch!

18. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow, what an honor! I hope that one day im able to be at your level of talent and craftsmanship!!

19. mbmcfarland

mbmcfarland Sr Member

Awesome work, Tom! You sure assembled an all-star crew for this one. It's great to see all your hard work and dedication paying off.

20. kysupernatural

kysupernatural Well-Known Member

:thumbsup AMAZING JOB...very talented people one and all. I was wondering who created all those creatures...was just amazed how detail they all were...loved that I didn't even see it coming. Had the dog losing weight..then WHAM.

21. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Very cool! I can't think of a better person for the job!

22. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

:thumbsupOutfreakingstanding!. I really enjoyed your work, IMHO...the best part of the ad.

23. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

wow. just..... wow. :eek

24. Ikariya

Ikariya Well-Known Member

no words to describe.. I am shocked. Great job on Muftak and Kabe @_______@ They were always my favorites.

25. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Great job as always Tom!

26. Bluecow

Bluecow New Member

Just watched the commercial and the behind scenes feature on Youtube. The Chalmun's cantina scenes were awesome. It's great to see all your hard work and dedication paying off with such a tight time schedule.

27. AMP

AMP Well-Known Member

That is outstanding!

28. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

BTS pics of the Tonnika sisters please. :)

[​IMG]

Nick

29. Wolfie

Wolfie Sr Member

Cool stuff! Kudos! Kudos to Skaught too on those IG88 heads he made for the commercial lol

Only thing I noticed was Bo Shek should have been Mark Bradley. His costume is awesome. I was totally distracted by the one in the commercial after seeing Marks lol

30. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

Ok I gotta admit. I was actually happy seeing this commercial, but at the same time I had no idea where its was going with the fat dog, but when the cantina scene came on... it was 1977 again. Thanks Tom! Job well done!(y)thumbsup

31. vtswordfish

vtswordfish Sr Member

Wow, great work! I wondered who had made those for the ad, spot-on!

32. Elvean

Elvean New Member

Your team does some amazing work! Absolutely stunning.

33. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Excellent job!

34. TomSpinaDesigns

DaddyfromNaboo likes this.
  35. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  36. Fair Play

Fair Play Member

Dear Tom,

I can't tell you how happy this spot made me!

I am so glad, that an avid team put so much effort in recreating aniconic scene of pop culture. I doubt that anybody else than you and your team could have pulled off such great work on such short notice.
    I relish the fact, that the work of the whole production team didn't end up in a satirical way of spoofing the cantina scene, but in staying thruthful to the roots.
    Oh god, how I envy you ...

Kudos to you and your team.

37. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hello there,

Excellent work people :)

-Chaim

38. hollywoodhardware

hollywoodhardware Sr Member

I can only second what the tenor is: Excellent work!

I was thinking "What the freck, it really looks like the old scene!"

39. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Best gig ever for TSD?

40. dualedge

dualedge Sr Member

Awesome work, Tom! Major congrats on getting such an awesome job opportunity and even moreso on pulling it off with such stunning success!! Talk about a "portfolio piece" - WOW!

41. xmr1

xmr1 Well-Known Member

Wow, looking great! But Vader's cape chain wasn't accurate ;-)

42. DeLucks Designs

DeLucks Designs Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very very cool!

43. Brinn 71

Brinn 71 Well-Known Member

WOW! Beautiful work! And a great tribute to the original. I honestly thought some of those creatures and costumes were original, somehow patched up. GREAT WORK!!!

44. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Unbelievable, Tom. You're the king, baby!

45. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

It's so much fun to enjoy the work of one of us on a national level! I'm sure it was a dream come true!

46. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great BTS stuff! Awesome work, awesome work, awesome work!

Michael

P.S. : I can´t believe that Tom only has a reputation greater than 50 ?! Rep that man! His rep should go through the roof!!! A gazillion rep points! Ah, who am I kidding, a PARSEC rep points !!!

47. TomSpinaDesigns

Hmmm... certainly one of them! Seems every time we say that, we work our way to something else... so let's say "best gig, so far..." :)

I'm just really proud of the work everyone on the team did. They all worked their tails off to get this done on time and still made stuff look great. I work with some of the best people around... not just as artists but as people, and it warms my heart to see folks loving the work that we did together.

By the way, we updated our gallery with new pics today. There's now an image of each character on-set or in costume on the stage.

We'll be putting behind the scenes stuff up over the next week or so. If you haven't yet, please drop by and LIKE our Facebook Page: Tom Spina Designs | Facebook

And be sure to check in at our site as well :) Volkswagen Star Wars Superbowl Commercial Cantina Bar Alien Masks and Costumes

Enjoy!

best,
    Tom

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

48. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is very impressive. You created the environment and mood and it was totally believable.

Would have loved to see Duros. Still kicking myself for not buying that run 10 years ago on this board.

The pilot guy looked awesome. I forget his name.

Was it a real set or CG. Where did they fine all the IG88 heads. It is just so well done.

Wow

PM in the way.

49. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

cool as hell man just amazing!

50. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing work Tom!