ORCA scratch build

IMG_2740.JPG
IMG_2747.JPG
I know we only ever see 34 lights on during the film. (below deck cabin x2 and the rear transom light) but the boat has a lot more lights do I make the all practical? I've also got a smoke machine on its way.
IMG_2748.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2748[1].JPG
    IMG_2748[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
time has come to seal up the bottom. now all the electrics are done, I hope any real model boat people aren't watching, am pretty sure this isn't the way they would do it.
IMG_2759.JPG
IMG_2760.JPG
I want to keep the roughness of the planking and not have the boat smooth, so I'm being slapdash with the filling.
IMG_2762.JPG
I will be water sealing it with apoxy
IMG_2763.JPG
the little brass detail on the back as seen on the real boat. I'm not a boat person so in my head I imagined it was an outlet for a sump pump.
so I have wired mine up to a mini sump pump at the lowest part of the model. (after all, it would be a shame to have it sink on me after all this work.

flimsy,
Really like your thread on the Orca. Fine job being done with the detailing.
My main hobby subject over the years has been scratch building RC model ships from original plans, so can especially appreciate your build. Glad you went large on the scale. Again, interesting methods of construction give me new ideas for the next project, if I ever finish what has hooked me now.
Best regards, Searun

flimzy,
For what it is worth, an easy way to tell a boat right hand v.s. a left hand prop is to stick your right hand thumb into the hub and rotate you hand & wrist to the right. If your fingers “catch” the blades, it’s a right hand prop. Left hand prop, use the left hand thumb and rotate left.
Obviously for models, do this figuratively. My old twin engined cabin cruiser had twin, counter rotating props.
Played with different pitch settings and changing rubber inserts quit a bit. Getting them mixed up was a pain. No problem on my (4) counter rotating props on my warship model however.

Of course it will; I have utmost confidence in your modeler's skills:notworthy::notworthy: You'll have to install some ballast, of course, to make sure it doesn't tip on you (as you know, I'm sure;))
Yes Ive left pockets for weights but I won’t know how much until the hole thing is built, to get the water line right.

Mast is looking sharp!(y)(y) Yes, that first launch will be a nail biting evento_O:eek: Hopefully you won't have to re-name it The Vasa :p

this photo doesn't do it justice but I'm going with 50GY66/111 I think it will take the age the best.
IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG

I'm happy with the way the planking has come out on the hull. it would have been os easy to sand it flat and lose the caricature
IMG_2769.JPG
IMG_2772.JPG
its a shame i was liking it with the timber finish but the best part about the ORCA is the aged paint work

Back