OOPS! That doesn't go there!!!

Cadeus

Sr Member
Hello! :) I was helping my daughter build a plastic model of a Klingon Bird of Prey, and she decided to work on it a little without me... so, she glued some parts together incorrectly, and I was hoping to salvage the model for her; but I don't know anything about "un-gluing" glue. So if you know how to do it or can give me a link to a site that does, I would be grateful... and so would my daughter! :) Thank-you.

You could try asking at Starshipmodeler or hobbytalk BUT I have found that tossing the model in the freezer (if it will fit) seems to weaken most glues. In fact, when I started my NX-01 teardown, my first step was to leave it in the trunk of my car in sub-zero weather.
Pulled it out after a few hours and (literally) got to cracking.

Hi!

What kind of glue did she use? Usual plastic cement or some kind of Super glue? Some of the expert on this site will be willing to help you!

She used a slow-set super-glue, Katsu-san... I'll look up the label tomorrow; the glue is in her room with the model, and she is asleep, already... Thanks for looking, guys. :)

She used a slow-set super-glue, Katsu-san... I'll look up the label tomorrow; the glue is in her room with the model, and she is asleep, already... Thanks for looking, guys. :)

Super glue should snap apart without too much trouble, especially if you use the freezer method. IIRC it doesn't melt the plastic to make the bond. :thumbsup

I always use 'super glue remover' when I strip the parts.
It's in a small bottle and I usually buy it in a dollar store here.
Drip on the edge of the glued parts and wait for a few minutes.
The parts will come out soon.

I think those will work for her.
Image Search Results for duro super glue remover

Don't sweat it and leave it as is. This is something that you have done together and you will always cherish it....trust me on this. She will also learn from this and in this day and time with digital media taking up a child's world now I applaud you for taking the time with your daughter in this effort.

Last edited:
Yup. If it is not something important needed later, just leave it and call it a customized or battle repaired bird of prey. In fact... working with the flaw will make it look more authentic.

I know the Lego Minifigs that come glued to a magnet base can be removed if you put them in boilng water for a while then pry them apart.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back