One-Stop 11' TOS Enterprise Reference Thread: NCC-1701, No Bloody A...

Those darn ugly lines on the bottom of the primary hull. So ugly, so wrong. That's right, I'm being that guy!

Gary Kerr, well known to enthusiasts in this thread, had this to say about Tomy's new replica that he helped with:

“This model represents the culmination of my 30+ years of research and data related to the studio model,” said Kerr. “The saucer separation capability, designed with input from well-known starship designers, sets this model apart from all previous efforts. The level of detail, saucer separation, working lights, and overall die-cast metal construction demonstrate extraordinary attention to detail.”

By the way, long before the resto was ever dreamed to happen, I had emailed them about some incorrect info they had on line about the E. long story short my wife and I got a tour of the museum from Margaret. At that time it seemed not going to happen because... money! Not sure how they paid for it when it finally happened. It's truly a grand miracle they did so.

Last edited:
This is a recent video. The Enterprise was returned to 'drydock' at the Udvar Hazy restoration center during the remodeling of the Air & Space Museum. It has been undergoing curatorial inspection, cleaning, and maintenance before being put back on public display.

E

Kind of surprised they dug into it again, seemed they were very comprehensive previously.

I saw the “Big E”…but it was back around 2014, when it was located in the lower-level gift shop and sported the very heavy-handed weathering of the 1991 restoration. It had also started to show the wear and tear that made the most recent restoration necessary. I remember a piece of the paint on the starboard nacelle was starting to peel off and one of the acrylic portholes in the saucer literally was starting to push out of the saucer.

72EB3A4D-0204-4EFB-8842-234D4516CA00.jpeg

I would love to make a trip back to DC to see it as it is today.

Last edited:
I saw the “Big E”…but it was back around 2014, when it was located in the lower-level gift shop and sported the very heavy-handed weathering of the 1991 restoration. It had also started to show the wear and tear that made the most recent restoration necessary. I remember a piece of the paint on the starboard nacelle was starting to peel off and one of the acrylic portholes in the saucer literally was starting to push out of the saucer.

View attachment 1640617

I would love to make a trip back to DC to see it as it is today.
Yeah, the model is really gorgeous now. I want to go see it now that it’s back, but you need scheduled passes to get in and work is taking up all my free time. But I’ll probably go in the new year.

You have come a LONG way baby!

What was the line, “She’s a beautiful lady and we love her”

I got to see her in 74 right after they un crated her and she was a mess.

Green paint streaks?!

People thought I was crazy but thats what was on her

Never liked that she was hung from the rafters when she first went on display

So glad that the old gal is really getting the love and respect from those at the Smithsonian

Richard Datin was a Genius, I wish he was still around to see all the love for his old girl

So so glad she is in good hands!

well nobody has modelled that alternate nacelle dome effect that looks like a swirling cloud. Someone must be the first!
Including me! But I'm happy with this lighting test nonetheless. Modeled and rendered in Blender.

I've been wanting to make the Enterprise in 3D since I was messing around with RayDream Studio and Infini-D in the mid-90's, and here it finally is. I am grateful to the Smithsonian conservators, and of course the pioneering work of Gary Kerr and Petri Blomqvist.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back