Official Star Trek Phaser Thread

Thanks, so the body of the p2 and the handle are the same color? A grey primer it would seem....

Thanks for the excellent link also :)

Originally posted by amish@Jan 24 2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks, so the body of the p2 and the handle are the same color?  A grey primer it would seem.... 
[snapback]1166879[/snapback]​

No, that's not correct. It's a popular choice but not correct.

There are three or four identifiable "types" of phaser prop: Hero, Dummy (Midgrade), Vacform (Crapazoid) and Rubber Stunt.

Heroes had the working lightbulb in the emitter tip and moving parts. These were rarely used in the show. The color scheme is

P1-dark gray (Zynolyte Primer) or black

P2 body - medium gray (Krylon Shadow Gray)

Handle - Bronze (Rustoleum Dark Bronze).

The second type of phaser prop is the "dummy", also called "midgrade". These are seen most often in the show. The color scheme is the same as for the hero.

The Vacform (also called Crapazoid) props were just thermoformed hollow shells. These were painted like the heroes too, but sometimes they appear to have black handles.

Rubber Stunt phasers usually appear to have black handles.

So to recap, the "most correct" color scheme is dark gray-med gray-bronze.

But then again, in the first eight episodes, the pistols were darkgray/black with white or cream colored handles. :p

DSC09845.jpg

- k

Gray handles would only be correct if you want to replicate how the phaser looked in the Deep Space Nine episode "Trials and Tribbleations".

phasers.jpg

And of course the phaser had a black handle in Enterprise's "In a Mirror Darkly" two parter. :D

- k

Thanks so much for the information, I am kind of leaning towards the black and white version now.... I love the pics :)

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks :) Question though, on the black and white, what does the top look like? Does anyone have a picture or two?

Thanks again,

Tom

Originally posted by KUROK@Jan 24 2006, 04:14 PM
I believe the rubber stunt from "Cloud Minders" did have the bronze handle.  Anyone have a screen cap.  (Karl)

;)
[snapback]1166962[/snapback]​
I tell you, when it comes to stuff like this Karl is better than a good set of visual encyclopedias. :D

Jim

If you mean this phaser from "The Cloudminders"...

cloudminders-fix.jpg

...I believe that is a midgrade "dummy" version and not a rubber stunt. The midgrades were detailed to resemble the heroes but had no working parts.

Here's another dummy, from "Omega Glory". Dummies were used even in huge closeup shots that really should have featured heroes.. :lol

Note the lack of a p1 midplate (just lines painted on the sides) and the simplified "ten turn" knob in back (just a chunk of turned aluminum).

OG-dummycu.jpg

On the black and white, there really aren't any good closeups of the top in the show. They were only seen in the first eight episodes, then all pistol phasers were revamped by Wah Chang to feature metal midplates, full tenturn knobs, heatsink tail fins, and so on.

But as you can see, the B&W had no "extra crispy" on the p1 sight, there was no rounded plexi power meter (only two square "buttons" that may have been sunk into the top of the body), and a simple cylindrical silver knob in back on the P2.

ew-kirk-BW-buttons-colorfix.jpg

In this component shot of the ATL you can see how we handled it.

DSC09803.jpg

- k

Man, I just love seeing all these phasers. Has anyone made a replica of the squashed phaser from 'Space Seed', or the melted phaser from 'Who Mourns for Adonais?'

Voilà. The infamous Star Trek V Marshmallow Dispenser. I assumed Spock was using a portable mini food replicator when I first saw the movie, but apparently the good people at Kraft think that in the 23rd century there will be no plastic marshmallow bags.

[image]http://www.pbase.com/stephengrimes/image/55290863.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.pbase.com/stephengrimes/image/55290865.jpg[/image]

Originally posted by Jimbo890@Jan 24 2006, 10:03 PM
Man, I just love seeing all these phasers. Has anyone made a replica of the squashed phaser from 'Space Seed', or the melted phaser from 'Who Mourns for Adonais?'
[snapback]1167078[/snapback]​

OH man, those bring some memories. Jimbo, I too had that TOS phaser that projected the silhouettes on the wall. Man, I wish I could find one of those again. It's been so long, so don't even know if it was remotely accurate, but I do remember that night I bought it, a huge fog rolled in, and the "flashlight" projected this beam that went forever. I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen. It was the closest thing to a real phaser I had ever seen. :lol

Originally posted by Jimbo890+Jan 26 2006, 09:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jimbo890 @ Jan 26 2006, 09:26 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-phase pistol
@Jan 25 2006, 04:14 AM
Don't forget the "Star Trekulator"... for when you need to Trekulate.

stul01.jpeg

- k
[snapback]1167417[/snapback]​

Oh, good lord.

:lol
[snapback]1169007[/snapback]​
[/b]

"As the energy bolt from V'ger approaches, the only hope for the doomed Enterprise crew is Mr. Spocks' Trekulator. With lightning fast equations and numerical power, the Trekulator is able to calculate the right speed to play back
the hailing speed which will save the ship."

And looking on the box, notice how Mr.Spock has that "I hope no one notices me using the Trekulator" look on his face. LOL

Originally posted by TheSt.LouisKid@Jan 16 2006, 03:14 AM
Some custom stuff.

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/StLouisKid/gp1b2.jpg[/image]
These two pics bought and paid for.
[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/StLouisKid/sm_phaser.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/StLouisKid/mortye.jpg[/image]
[snapback]1160103[/snapback]​

These are REALLY nice. Your custom white bodied phaser should've been used on ENTERPRISE.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back