Obi-Wan transistors

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

v312

For me I feel like I found a better option. The other vintage aircraft ones ones I’ve seen people using and I bought some have the interior chamfer to almost a point which is inaccurate. Plus for these more correct 10 pin Marconi the hole isn’t big enough for them to fit through. I was having to flip them on the other side so the top of the washer was wider, boring them out for a bigger I.D. putting a new chamfer on that side and sanding off the brass color. The only benefit was they were vintage. These ones I found just need a chamfer which is the hardest part, but they are closer in the other ways described. Maybe next time I’ll find the exact ones. Fingers crossed.

Don't forget to post some pictures with the Marconis when you have it ready :)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

AstroZopyros

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So member v312 has passed the torch a little bit, and i’m experimenting the stamping option for any replica transistors. I’m currently trying to find the best method. So when I can get something consistent, i’ll update you all! :)

SteuerEule

Any progress on replica transistors? Or any tipps for a similar old or new transistor?

Can someone with a matching transistor provide measurements (height & diameter)?

Jediseth

Still haven’t gotten a great result stamping to be honest. I’ll be trying again soon though.
The ink is probably baked on. Personally I would have no interest in adding something replicated to an all real parts Obi. Maybe for a Romans being a replica anyway. I just would rather go without or use transistors, that’s just me I guess.

SteuerEule

Thanks for the measurements!

Not everyone is capable of finding real parts (or willing to spend the money). Waiting on my Romans and wanting to add a little „spice“ to it by exchanging parts that are closer to the original ones.

v312

Problem is this package size is not very common. For 2 washer Tunisia/Falcon saber setup is relatively easy to get 2 TO-5 transistors and sand them 1-2mm until they look right. But most people seem to prefer the one washer setup (to my surprise) and there it is more obvious if the transistor is too tall or too short.

Obi1Kenobi

5x8mm ( well, should be 4.95x8.1 or so according to the standards, but I don't have a tool to measure it with such a precision)

Are these 'standards' originally given in inches or in millimeters? If inches, is it perhaps 0.195" x 0.320"? Someone who is extra anal about these sorts of things might want to know that. Asking for a friend.

v312

Are these 'standards' originally given in inches or in millimeters? If inches, is it perhaps 0.195" x 0.320"? Someone who is extra anal about these sorts of things might want to know that. Asking for a friend.
I'm not sure if the original specification is in mm or inches. Probably in inches as JEDEC is of US origin and it does not make sense to not round it to the mm if the original spec was metric. But does not matter that much as some dimensions are actually given as an allowed range rather than a fixed value.
Here's a link for reference where the dimensions are given both in mm and inches