Obi ANH CORRECT handwheels FOUND!

I am witnessing the miracle now.
Great. Congratulations..

...good also for emitter and gear the same thing when it occurs...

Originally posted by Howard@Aug 20 2005, 08:01 AM
Just arrived in the mail.
Superb condition for their age. Sharp edges, bright and shiny.

ARM1.jpg

Question is, which one do I put on my saber - hot or cold?

ARM2.jpg

EDIT.

Okay - after cleaning these with my fingernail I've just discovered they can be taken apart.

A1A2.jpg

Between the black arrows is the gap seen in the pictures of this prop we all know so well, just below the cubes. There's two of these opposite each other, and they're around .5mm wider that the base of a cube.

Here's a pic of the parts reversed and screwed back together, having rotated the cubes. A PERFECT match for the prop.

A1A.jpg

My long, long search is finally over.

Howard. :)
[snapback]1061727[/snapback]​

From The Guy Who Discovered The Grenade, "Rock on..."

Obi-Bob

Hey Howard, still havent figured out if Obi Wans saber was HOT or COLD???

Anyhow, for your consideration I noticed this -

(It may just be glare but who knows)
obihandwheel.jpg

King of looks like light reflecting off of the bottom legs of the letter "h" (yellow), and a long traight glare off of the side of the "h" (red)

BTW, does the HOT knob have a red rim and the COLD knob have a blue rim??

DS

Hey, thanks Obi-Bob...

Pat, that's very interesting - thanks.
Yes, they have thin plastic rings, blue and red.

Howard.

Howard, you're a GOD.

But maybe you knew that. ;)

One thing bothers me-- in the following pic (not yours, I know), the concave pillar under the handwheel pretty closely matches the transition part between the handwheel and the gear-- did you get stiffed?

SUPER find-- your hard work has paid off. Salutations.

KD

I'm not much of a lightsaber guy so please don't beat me up for this but...

What makes this AS handwheel different from the ones we've all used in the past?

:D

Originally posted by blufive@Aug 23 2005, 02:20 PM
I'm not much of a lightsaber guy so please don't beat me up for this but...

What makes this AS handwheel different from the ones we've all used in the past?

:D
[snapback]1063715[/snapback]​

The common AS handwheel wasn't accurate... The one Howard found is dead on accurate.

Looks like AS slightly changed their design over the years.

DS

Originally posted by Killdozer@Aug 23 2005, 02:10 PM
Howard, you're a GOD.

But maybe you knew that. ;)

One thing bothers me-- in the following pic (not yours, I know), the concave pillar under the handwheel pretty closely matches the transition part between the handwheel and the gear-- did you get stiffed?

SUPER find-- your hard work has paid off. Salutations.
KD
[snapback]1063704[/snapback]​

Well - yeah :$ kinda more like a demi really, KD :D
Damn. You're right - I got stiffed. I'm sending these suckers back for a refund. ;)
Okay, I see what you mean about the transition between the handwheel and the gear. So now we need the correct taps. :lol
Cheers as always.
Howard.

Darth Saber--I think your 'h' reflections are too far off center (too close to the back). They probably replaced the end cap.

Killdozer--IMO the shape of the pillar is not right at all, it's too big and not tapered enough.

Blufive--the modern AS has melodramatically tapered cube section and cubes, and a squared butt, and I don't think can be reversed effectively, and if it can, the taper looks wrong.

Has everyone noticed the mass hysteria going on now? People are sighting flying emitters in the night sky... :D

WOW

after all these years and the numerous pommels that we've seen and the endless pictures...I can't believe we're looking at the real thing. Congratulations Howard - that is truly a terrific find. And yes, if you plan on doing a run, you know I'm in :) But the sad part is that Serafino can't do anymore scaled drawings and detailed analysis of all those countless pommel pictures, surmising what it should look like. What's he going to do now?.?.??.

oh wait, there's still the emitter (you know I love ya Andres ;))

Dan

Originally posted by Shinobi@Aug 23 2005, 04:15 PM
WOW

But the sad part is that Serafino can't do anymore scaled drawings and detailed analysis of all those countless pommel pictures, surmising what it should look like.  What's he going to do now?.?.??.

oh wait, there's still the emitter (you know I love ya Andres ;))

Dan
[snapback]1063788[/snapback]​

Many thanks Dan.
To be honest, the only reason I searched so hard for this was to relieve Andres of his workload.

Yep, just the emitter now my friend.

Howard. :)

:lol :lol :lol

Thanks so much Howard. Dan, the truth is, I am so relieved I can hardly stand it. :D

Although it's too much to hope that all future pommels will be utterly satisfactory, that is not the way with this hobby. :unsure

Andres,

I hear you...as we've seen in the past, production runs of the pommel are hard to perfect, even when the prototype looks good. With that said, I wonder how likely it is to get an exact reproduction? One that doesn't smooth out the cubes and has the right dimensions and heck, even retains the logo on the cap? Obviously, in a perfect world, it would be so much easier if we could just order a bunch from AS

Dan

Dan I've every confidence that a run can achieve a high level of accuracy, it all depends on who's in charge.

Accuracy problems always happen for a reason. Either the one-man 'hero' school of design, which has never yet led to best accuracy with this saber, or other factors/motivations interfere with full realizations. I think the Obee1 emitter run is a good example of what's possible.

Taken at a glance we seem to have a deeply flawed hobby in terms of accuracy. But mostly that's a result of how the group 'votes' with their wallet. Great things are possible, we only have to choose to pursue them.

The logo? :lol Oi, that I agree would be a problem, but I seriously doubt it was present on the prop. We need a resin that expands just the same amount as the contraction from lost-wax casting processes. :)

Actually, this is giving me some ideas...

Howard is a "found items piece" finding machine... :lol

In case most everyone has forgot, Howard is also the member that I.D.'d the main body for Luke's "ANH" Macrobinoculars last July... the EUMIG Servomatic 8mm camera.

I really can't decide which discovery was more incredible... the handwheel or the Eumig?.?.?.?.

Way to go, Howard. :)

- Jim :fettrotj

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back