OB1 ANH Saber - PARTS LIST

Romans Empire

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Since we finally know where everything comes from maybe we can put a simple “shopping” list together. I’m sure it would come in handy for treasure hunters.

- Emitter - Rolls Royce Derwent engine balance pipe
- Upper Grips - British No.3 Mk1 Rifle Grenade - produced in the 1910Â’s
- Clamp - Graflex flashgun unit - produced in the 1930Â’s
- Calc Bubbles - Texas Instruments: Exactra 19, 20, 2000 (European model) - produced in the 1970Â’s
- Transistors & washers - unknown brand
- Lower Grips (Gear) - Browning ANM2 machine gun booster
- Pommel - Armitage Shanks Sink Knob: Starlite model - produced in the 1960Â’s
- D-ring - 3/4"

I can update this 1st post as more info comes in. :)

Last edited:
Browning ANM2 machine gun booster
Rolls Royce Derwent engine balance pipe

Are you sure the 'sink knob' was called Starlite (the modern ones are) and is from the 60's and not 70's?

Originally posted by Romans Empire@Oct 31 2005, 01:29 AM
Since we now know where everything comes from maybe we can put a simple “shopping” list together. I’m sure newbies would appreciate it.

HereÂ’s what I got:

-Grenade - British No.3 Mk1 Rifle Grenade - produced in the 1910Â’s
-Sink Knob - Armitage Shanks: Starlite model - produced in the 1960Â’s
-Clamp - Graflex flashgun unit - produced in the 1930Â’s
-Calc Bubbles - Texas Instruments: Exactra 19 (& other models) - produced in the 1970Â’s

I can update this 1st post as more info comes in. :)
[snapback]1106670[/snapback]​

Are we still calling it a gear?

And I've also heard it called the starlite several times from the late 60's early 70's, I'm by no means anything close to an expert though, more of a spectator.

Edit- Just wanted to add I know its not really a gear but what's another appropriate name for it? Lower grip...? Piece between clamp and sink knob?

Originally posted by Dewy@Oct 31 2005, 04:33 AM
Edit- Just wanted to add I know its not really a gear but what's another appropriate name for it? Lower grip...? Piece between clamp and sink knob?
[snapback]1106694[/snapback]​
I would say "cooling fins" or "heat sink", because I assume that was the vision of the man who put it together, and it is also precisely what it is in real life.

Before getting into the prop/replica community, I always referred to the fins on the Luke and Vader sabers as be cooling fins, not as "grips". :p
These cooling fins are located in the same area as on those sabers, and btw. it also looks like Anakin AOTC "saber grip" material was used to build the cooling fins on the Obi-Wan ROTS saber.

Originally posted by kurtyboy@Oct 31 2005, 01:56 AM
Are you sure the 'sink knob' was called Starlite (the modern ones are) and is from the 60's and not 70's?

Well, that's what the people at Armitage Shanks told me one day while I was placing an order for the modern ones. I sent them pictures of what I was looking for and they got back to me stating 'that's our Starlite model from the 60's, but it's been out of production for quite sometime'. I'm just going by what they told me. :)

Originally posted by Dewy@Oct 31 2005, 02:33 AM
Are we still calling it a gear?

When answering emails from people not familiar with the saber I'd describe that section as "lower grips".

I created this collage after the last 2 parts were found. I updated the labels today.

I plan to keep it folded up in my wallet, in case I happen to stumble upon any of these parts one day...

Has anyone done a replica yet with all original correct parts? I've been dying to see a 100% accurate replica since all the parts were discovered.
Anyone planning on doing this? Serafino?

I really want to see the ULTIMATE Obi ANH saber replica.

:D

-Rabittooth

Transitors and washer(s). I don't know the exact model names or numbers off hand, but we need those on the list as well. We also need the d-ring for this saber . I am not an expert on this particular saber so I will let those with more knowledge answer as to the correct info on these items.
I'm with Rabittooth, I look forward to seeing the first saber made with all the original parts since the movie prop was made.

Great, I hope it comes in useful. :D

I agree, that is very nice, Nexus6. Maybe I can use that or something like it on my site. I need to update my parts list over there anyhow.

D-ring, transistors & washers. Check.

I believe the correct size d-ring is a 3/4". That's not the actual size, but that's how you would find them at a hardware store. The ID is slightly over 3/4", with an OD slightly over 1".

Originally posted by Romans Empire@Oct 31 2005, 08:15 PM
Great, I hope it comes in useful. :D

I agree, that is very nice, Nexus6. Maybe I can use that or something like it on my site. I need to update my parts list over there anyhow.

D-ring, transistors & washers. Check.

I believe the correct size d-ring is a 3/4". That's not the actual size, but that's how you would find them at a hardware store. The ID is slightly over 3/4", with an OD slightly over 1".
[snapback]1107085[/snapback]​

I just want to know where to get replicas of all the parts that are accurate. For instance, who's doing a run of emitters, who's got the most accurate grenade, is the heat since being replicated by anyone, and does a metal starlite handwheel replica exist?

I'm so out of the loop.

Originally posted by Romans Empire@Oct 31 2005, 04:15 PM
[snapback]1107085[/snapback]​
It's there if you want it, bro.

Originally posted by Rabittooth@Oct 31 2005, 10:19 AM
Has anyone done a replica yet with all original correct parts? I've been dying to see a 100% accurate replica since all the parts were discovered.
Anyone planning on doing this? Serafino?

I really want to see the ULTIMATE Obi ANH saber replica.

:D

-Rabittooth
[snapback]1106916[/snapback]​

Not a real grenade, but Serafino posted one here:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...dpost&p=1100123

Accurate parts are going to be available soon. Some with just the normal level of accuracy forced by the discovery of the new pieces, and others which will really attempt to satisfy those who have a more refined eye.

Obee1's cast handwheels may yet take off.

Roman's machined aluminum one-piece run is coming.

A pricey and very limited quantity run of highly accurate multi-part handwheels in stainless will probably still be showing up soon.

Based on what I know, plus the usual behavior of some people who will probably have a booster in hand soon, I think there are 4 runs of 'gears' being seriously considered right now.

I am working with someone who has access to very low-cost high quality offshore machining on a run of extremely accurate emitters.

I will be working with this same person on a run of hyper-accurate grenades, so that will be dealt with once and for all. It's really a shame that instead of improving on the Chen grenade the runs since then have regressed in accuracy and quality. It sets the hobby back when inaccurate parts are made, bought, and celebrated.

Originally posted by Serafino@Nov 2 2005, 02:17 AM
Based on what I know, plus the usual behavior of some people who will probably have a booster in hand soon, I think there are 4 runs of 'gears' being seriously considered right now.
[snapback]1107926[/snapback]​
I hope you let these people know what the other ones are doing to avoid them doing almost exactly the same thing at the same time ... like in a few cases on the board recently. :unsure

Serafino,
I am anxiously anticipating your emitter run. As I said before once upon a time...if you're in charge I KNOW it'll be right...

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back