Nu Galacita in 1/2500th scale

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by cobywan, Jun 28, 2006.

1. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

2. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

So Say We All.

3. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jun 28 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]1270060[/snapback]</div>
    So say we all.

I've been waiting for some more news on this one.

4. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Holy Sh^&$.......I mean.... Ummmm Crap. :eek

Hot *. That is looking awesome.

Nice work. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

5. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

As my grandpa used to say...

"That's more gooder." :p

6. Gort

Gort Well-Known Member

That really is an amazing level of detail you've managed. The more you look at it, the more you see. I dread to think the hours you must have invested to reach that level of quality.

Can I ask how you approached it?

7. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Coby,

You just let me know where to send the pre-order money :love

Jedi Dade

8. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Gort @ Jun 29 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]1270692[/snapback]</div>
    The build time for that bow was about 15 hours or so. (That's not counting the last two years of blueprinting, CG modeling and the buildup on the Mini G.) It took about 10 days of little-bits-of-time to go from cad to primer.

The whole ship is made out of "bread" slices. There are rib sections made of .030" styrene and .250" slices of urethane foam. The foam is stacked together and the smooth contour is sanded across the parts. Then I make urethane castings of detail strips that I made using a laser cutter for the panels and details with styrene chips, photoetch and plastic greeblies. The strips are wraped around each foam slice and sanded flush with the slice face. Then the ribs and slices are stacked back together.

Easy. :)

I have the ribs and slices cut for the whole center cull and bow and engines. I just started the contouring phase last night. (I started watching season 2 Galactica to get me back into the mood.) Hopefuly I will be able to start glueing the detail strips on this weekend.

9. Dymerski

Dymerski Well-Known Member

just SICK . SICK SICK........ :eek :thumbsup :love

10. Gort

Gort Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Very ingenious way to tackle what is at first glance a pretty scary ship to model in the 'real world' as opposed to a computer. If the bow looks that cool then the whole finished Battlestar will be nothing short of awesome.

Really great work, if you are not already a pro modelmaker...you should be :)

11. KrokoHunter

KrokoHunter Sr Member

Wow, Coby

I guess that another to my "Wish List" ;-)

Keep up feeding us with these great WIP pictures.

Cheers
    Niels

12. GoldCylon1

GoldCylon1 Well-Known Member

Very nice work

13. womo68

womo68 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

good lord...that's just awesome. Very nice indeed.. :thumbsup

womo

14. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Thanks guys. The progress I was hoping for is dashed. The inlaws are over and I am working through the weekend. But I do have Monday and Tuesday off. If the wife and parents go down town I may have some time to work on the skinning.

I am really looking forward to the July 14th. The last huge deadline for getting some huge model jobs out of the shop. It sounds like there isn't anything big lined up yet. I need a break from work.

15. tobiasrichter

tobiasrichter Well-Known Member

Incredible detail - looks great.

How big will the finished ship be? I estimate around 30 inches or even a bit more?

16. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(tobiasrichter @ Jul 2 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1272442[/snapback]</div>
    22.5"

17. tobiasrichter

tobiasrichter Well-Known Member

That´s a bit odd - your 1/9600 version is 6 3/4" (according to the FederationModels site), so shouldn´t a 1/2500 version be around 26"?

But 22.5 is still a nice size :)

18. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(tobiasrichter @ Jul 2 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]1272627[/snapback]</div>
    1/9600 is a VERY rough scale.

I am building the pattern for the 1/2500th scale to fairly tight tolerances based off of the actual size of the Galactica as posted by Lee Stringer over at the Starship Builder forum. Also 22.5" is a rounded down number. The actual length for the kit is a little larger. I just can't remember the final length at the moment. That's a nice thing about CAD software. Once you set scale you don't have to worry about it every day.

19. falcondesigns

falcondesigns Well-Known Member

Outstanding work as usual.It was great to talk to you at Wonerfest.Please PM me I have something to show you per our Colani conversation.Alexander

20. REL

REL Sr Member

Fantastic job Coby...is it done yet??

21. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 3 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]1272967[/snapback]</div>
    Ha ha ha hahahahahahahahahahahahahha....... :lol :lol :lol

No. :(

22. hollywoodhardware

hollywoodhardware Sr Member

Just saw the picture.... :eek :eek :eek

Incredible....

Thomas

23. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

man..beauteous.

24. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(hollywoodhardware @ Jul 5 2006, 11:22 AM) [snapback]1274444[/snapback]</div>
    ^Quoted for truth x 1000000.^

I'm floored at the amount of detail you've accomplished.

Any chance of you posting some 'in-progress' shots, so we can SEE how that "bread-slice" technique works? I read your (very thorough) explanation, but I can't quite wrap my brain around it. :confused

25. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Nexus6 @ Jul 6 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]1275342[/snapback]</div>
    ^Quoted for truth x 1000000.^

I'm floored at the amount of detail you've accomplished.

Any chance of you posting some 'in-progress' shots, so we can SEE how that "bread-slice" technique works? I read your (very thorough) explanation, but I can't quite wrap my brain around it. :confused
    [/b][/quote]

I'll be able to focus my attention to the Galactica after the 12th of July. I have two huge deadlines for then and once they are gone I will have more free time than I will know what to do with.

Actually I need to find some wook to knock right now. :confused

26. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

So its almost a week past July 12th ... Is it done yet :confused

Jedi Dade

27. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Evil.

You got me. I ended up putting in a 55 hour week in two shifts. I spent a four day weekend in recovery mode and am now back to work. (I actually get more done on personal projact at work than I do at home. :( )

I did some prep work last night for skinning the hull. I really want to start glueing the skins on the main hull tonight. I could take some more pictures of the process while I do that.

28. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(cobywan @ Jul 17 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]1282469[/snapback]</div>
    I'd certainly love to see it.

29. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(cobywan @ Jul 17 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]1282469[/snapback]</div>

I didn't really expect you to have it done... ;) I've had jobs where I had to work crazy hours like that - it can eat you up quickly. Make sure your supervisors know the effort you're putting in so when you tell them you need some decompression time they aren't all snitty. I've been down that road and that way leads to a bad place B)

Meanstwhile I'm looking forward to seeing that big G so get back to work. :D

Jedi Dade

30. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I am absolutely sure this will be worth the wait. ;)

31. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

32. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Dayum. :thumbsup

33. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

"There he goes, There goes Coo-beee, He's a demon with Styrene.."

34. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

35. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

'Progress', you say?

I'd say.

Looking great.

36. falcondesigns

falcondesigns Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh the smell of something burning.. Can we say....Hollow Cast.Keep it going. :lol Alexander

37. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OH MY GOD.

I am so in for one of these.

AWESOME progress. Thanks for posting those.......

38. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Thanks guys. I did a lot of sanding today. It's off to do some CAD work now.

39. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

inFRACKINGcredible ....

40. KrokoHunter

KrokoHunter Sr Member

I'm speechless

This kit is going to kick some serious Fracking Cylon Shiny Metal Buttocks :p

Coby, your work is way beyound awesome. This is by all means a "MUST HAVE" kit. I better start saving some dimes for it.

The "sandwich" approach to building this master is fascinating.

Looking forward for more WIP shots of this beauty

Cheers
    Niels

41. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Coby I was amazed when I saw the work you did for the Klingon BOP but this blows that away big time. hard to gauge scale on the ribs what is the thickness on the styrene ribs?

Greg

42. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

43. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesomeness

44. Blackbirdcd

Blackbirdcd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(cobywan @ Aug 3 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]1293095[/snapback]</div>
    [+] This is good. . . "for the quarter"

45. KrokoHunter

KrokoHunter Sr Member

hmmmmm

how big is a quarter :lol

Cheers
    Niels

46. jedichef

jedichef Well-Known Member

while trying to wrap my head around this project, i think my brain just melted. holy cow, i want more pics.

47. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

48. KrokoHunter

KrokoHunter Sr Member

Coby ----- YOU RULE

I can't praise this model enough. It's way beyound awesome

I love to see WIP pics, so keep feeding us.

I'll look forward to the day when this kit will arrive at my door

Cheers
    Niels

49. BlindSquirrel

BlindSquirrel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Brilliant as always. Thanks for showing the WIP photos.

I'm really interested in how you created the texture strips. Does it start out as a big sheet with a "random" texture on it or is each line and greeblie designated for a certain area and strip? Do you have any photos of this early stage?

50. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

I'll have to take some photos of that later. I haven't got the shop's camera here. The truth is that there are only 5 types of detail strips that I am using over the whole ship. The strips are 12" long and they are trimmed at random spots to give the whole hull an overall "random" detailing. I concede that I did "invent" detail but I couldn't really make it just like the one in the show. So technically this is an interpretaion of the Galactica mesh. I think it works.

There's some things that I wish were better but it isn't finnished and I haven't even started to "clean" it up. Hell there's a ton of stuff I haven't even drafted out yet.