Nu Galacita in 1/2500th scale

That really is an amazing level of detail you've managed. The more you look at it, the more you see. I dread to think the hours you must have invested to reach that level of quality.

Can I ask how you approached it?

<div class='quotetop'>(Gort @ Jun 29 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]1270692[/snapback]</div>
That really is an amazing level of detail you've managed. The more you look at it, the more you see. I dread to think the hours you must have invested to reach that level of quality.

Can I ask how you approached it?
[/b]

The build time for that bow was about 15 hours or so. (That's not counting the last two years of blueprinting, CG modeling and the buildup on the Mini G.) It took about 10 days of little-bits-of-time to go from cad to primer.

The whole ship is made out of "bread" slices. There are rib sections made of .030" styrene and .250" slices of urethane foam. The foam is stacked together and the smooth contour is sanded across the parts. Then I make urethane castings of detail strips that I made using a laser cutter for the panels and details with styrene chips, photoetch and plastic greeblies. The strips are wraped around each foam slice and sanded flush with the slice face. Then the ribs and slices are stacked back together.

Easy. :)

I have the ribs and slices cut for the whole center cull and bow and engines. I just started the contouring phase last night. (I started watching season 2 Galactica to get me back into the mood.) Hopefuly I will be able to start glueing the detail strips on this weekend.

Thanks for the info. Very ingenious way to tackle what is at first glance a pretty scary ship to model in the 'real world' as opposed to a computer. If the bow looks that cool then the whole finished Battlestar will be nothing short of awesome.

Really great work, if you are not already a pro modelmaker...you should be :)

Thanks guys. The progress I was hoping for is dashed. The inlaws are over and I am working through the weekend. But I do have Monday and Tuesday off. If the wife and parents go down town I may have some time to work on the skinning.

I am really looking forward to the July 14th. The last huge deadline for getting some huge model jobs out of the shop. It sounds like there isn't anything big lined up yet. I need a break from work.

<div class='quotetop'>(tobiasrichter @ Jul 2 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1272442[/snapback]</div>
Incredible detail - looks great.

How big will the finished ship be? I estimate around 30 inches or even a bit more?
[/b]

22.5"

That´s a bit odd - your 1/9600 version is 6 3/4" (according to the FederationModels site), so shouldn´t a 1/2500 version be around 26"?

But 22.5 is still a nice size :)

<div class='quotetop'>(tobiasrichter @ Jul 2 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]1272627[/snapback]</div>
That´s a bit odd - your 1/9600 version is 6 3/4" (according to the FederationModels site), so shouldn´t a 1/2500 version be around 26"?

But 22.5 is still a nice size :)
[/b]

1/9600 is a VERY rough scale.

I am building the pattern for the 1/2500th scale to fairly tight tolerances based off of the actual size of the Galactica as posted by Lee Stringer over at the Starship Builder forum. Also 22.5" is a rounded down number. The actual length for the kit is a little larger. I just can't remember the final length at the moment. That's a nice thing about CAD software. Once you set scale you don't have to worry about it every day.

Outstanding work as usual.It was great to talk to you at Wonerfest.Please PM me I have something to show you per our Colani conversation.Alexander

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back