Question Not able to staying logged in? (find answers here)

Re: Staying logged in?

I'm having the same problem on my laptop. My computer at work retains the login, though. Makes me think the problem is on my end somehow.

Re: Forced logouts now?

Sorry about that... I merged the threads and didn't notice that he had posted a link to the thread that I was merging it with. :wacko

What browser are you using (so that we can point you in the right direction)?

I use IE. I noticed some time back RPF was kicking me out after a shorter period of inactivity.

There were times when I would be composing a somewhat longer post and when I hit submit, it would not accept the post because I was no longer logged in. Sometimes the post would be lost. To say I was somewhat irate would be understating it a bit.

At this point I have tested and confirmed that Firefox 3.5.6, IE6 and IE7 are all working by following the steps in the announcement thread.

http://www.therpf.com/announcement.php?f=24
It appears some people still have the problem and this announcement is not around any more. Any chance of getting it brought back or added to this thread? Possible in the first post?

Also DecanturVader posted some instructions for IE8, not sure how different it is from IE7 as I haven't used IE since 5. http://www.therpf.com/showpost.php?p=1079450&postcount=83

It appears some people still have the problem and this announcement is not around any more. Any chance of getting it brought back or added to this thread? Possible in the first post?

Also DecanturVader posted some instructions for IE8, not sure how different it is from IE7 as I haven't used IE since 5. http://www.therpf.com/showpost.php?p=1079450&postcount=83

Good idea... I have placed the instructions from the original announcement as the first post in this thread, I also changed the thread title to be more specific to the problem.

I have noticed that certain versions of IE can actually place cookies in multiple locations and deleting them from Internet Options doesn't always work.

I know that some members have done a search using Windows Explorer to try and find "therpf.com" (don't use the quotes, and that should find any RPF cookies that are still hanging around). You need to make sure that "Search system folders" and "Search hidden files and folders" are turned on when you do the search.

No offense to the RPF, but no other site I visit is doing this to my computer. So would I be wrong to hypothesize that this is something that was installed in the software on this site? The RPF is for me a distraction from my real world concerns, which are many. FUN in other words.

If things have been changed here to require a time and effort investmen in order to view the site, I for one would like to know the motive behind the change. Are too many accounts staying logged in and keeping the servers tied up? I would rather start a war chest and throw money at the problem for increased Server space or whatever is required than deal with some half-a$$ chnage that some Einstein dreamed up.

My apologies to the Einstein whoever he or she might be for my curtness.

As stated earlier in the thread, the changes made was a security patch and Art didn't know until after that it would expire your old cookies. You need to clear your cookies for the RPF from whatever browser you are using. Internet Explorer seems to be the most problematic.

If you have not tried the things Montagar has added to the first post I would suggest starting there. If that does not work try an internet search for clearing cookies for your specific browser and OS (WinXP stores them in a different spot then Win7 for IE.)

Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Might I respectfully request that in the future "patches" that require modification of an RPFer's OS or browser no be installed for questionable beneficial results?

Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Might I respectfully request that in the future "patches" that require modification of an RPFer's OS or browser no be installed for questionable beneficial results?

outlander, I certainly understand where you are coming from on this, but again, we didn't know that the patch was going to create this issue until after it was in place. We are pretty slow about installing patches except when they are related to security and this one was so we put it in place ASAP. I have seen a couple boards in the past that were hacked and lost a lot of info. When security patches come out we really try to get on them pronto to ensure we don't end up like some other sites.

we didn't know that the patch was going to create this issue until after it was in place.

To be fair, no one knew it would cause issues, and it sent an uproar on the official support forums for the software, this was a security patch that NEEDED to be done or else the forum could have EASILY been hacked because the hack was made public to every wannabe haXor out there... As for no other forums doing it any and all vBulletin forums that did the patch were effected, it's not just the RPF... If they didn't do the patch then the sites are wide open for attack...

Also as I have said over and over again, the problem lies with your computer and your browser, not the RPF site... I know it's maybe hard to swallow that your computer is the problem and not the RPF, but in this instance it is in fact the way it is... There is nothing that can be done on the RPF end anylonger, it's a problem with your computer... If you are still getting logged out it's because the RPF changed the keys many weeks ago and your computer is for one reason or another refusing to take and use the new key, instead your computer is holding on to the the old key and keeps trying to use the old key that is no longer valid...

The solution is simple, delete your cookies, all of them in whole and get new ones from the site with the correct key... This proceedure varies by browser and OS but has been outlined pretty well here, if not Google will provide the steps...

no be installed for questionable beneficial results?

Well to be blunt, there was no question in any security wise persons mind that this patch needed to be applied, the key was no longer secure across the whole vBulletin platform, and any wanabe haXor could could gain control of other account fairly easily with a little work... I'm not gong to get into how and why the original key was 'cracked' but trust me it needed to be fixed ASAP, as it was a wide open hole in vBulletin security...

I'm a member of hundreds of vB forums. Not one of them cause this problem except RPF.

I'm really sorry but don't know what to tell you aside from the fact that we would never do anything to intentionally harm the board or the member's enjoyment of it. As exoray said above, we installed a standard update from vBulletin (nothing weird or out of the ordinary... nothing custom) out of a desire to ensure the safety of the board, its members and its content. Did it affect us differently than other boards? I can't say. Again, as exoray said , there was quite an uproar on the vBulletin boards from MANY other sites who were having exactly the same issues as us. Why it seemed to affect some sites and not others... well, I don't know if that was ever answered.

Ok Windows 7 users, You may not be able to get the fix (on the first page) to work
by simply deleting your cookies the traditional way.. I had to go in the Cookies
Folder and search for the rpf cookie and then delete it from there. Also make
sure you don't have more then one rpf cookie in there, if so delete that to....
I tried different variations of the fix on the first page, but was only successful
once I physically deleted the cookie from the folder.. Hope this works

Sorry if someone already went over this, I kind of skipped to the end of the
thread and didn't notice a fix....

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back