No Time To Die (James Bond 25)

I do agree with old Bond fans that Bond should be a white British dude though. Thats who Bond is and if you want a black Bond, maybe just make a spinoff Lester series.
I wouldn't even care, so long as it was clear that they went with the best actor for the job, not just someone with the right politically-correct skin color. I still think Idris Elba would have made an amazing Bond, although he's really too old for it now, but it wouldn't have been because he was black but because he's an excellent actor.

I would be pissed if they race swap Bond or sex swap that would be where I leave the franchise, it's not Bond anymore, Let's make Blade white or female. I'm out too! Bond especially seems stupid to do that. Leave them be. Minor characters never bothered me because well, they're minor I don't care because significant back stories/origins rarely exist. Leiter can clearly grow into a larger role and carry an entire film and I want that to happen. And I also think it's in a way a backwards step, it's saying well, we need to appropriate this existing character for diversity because we have no trust to create a new character or pull from the existing inventory of diverse characters. That to me is coming from a position of weakness, justified by some perception of being keepers of equality or some phony claim of being utterly blind to race that oh, we didn't even think of that.
None of it sits well with me. Make Captain Kirk black instead of having created Captain Sisko? Damn them for what we would miss.

I wouldn't even care, so long as it was clear that they went with the best actor for the job, not just someone with the right politically-correct skin color. I still think Idris Elba would have made an amazing Bond, although he's really too old for it now, but it wouldn't have been because he was black but because he's an excellent actor.
I understand your take but would still take issue. There is no reason why Lester cant be a badass CIA agent himself with his own stories and if you want, you can choose to only have black British actors play him because he acclimatized himself to British society to blend in (or is a British citizen recruited by the CIA).

Or just start a new IP franchise with a black secret agent and have him be another 00 but develop him into his own character. Just making a black Bond or female Bond will always be seen as a token experiment, especially if/when they revert back to a white male.

Lieter
I share this hope greatly, being American I’d enjoy seeing this side of the Bond-verse. And maybe that's why they brought the character back this time.
Given that Bond is typically set in the Cold War period+ when British influence is waning and the US is the global leader, it would be interesting to see the resources and pure firepower US operatives have in the Bond universe given the firepower and technology available to Bond.

IMO changing Bond's race is pretty do-able. The modern UK is much more diverse than it was 60 years ago. And the agency would probably like having some different colored agents for undercover purposes. It seems totally normal in this century. If they showed a list of double-O agents and they were all white, that would feel more out-of-place these days IMO.

The gender swap . . . . I wouldn't do it. Bond isn't distinctly caucasian in my mind (whatever that is) but he is distinctly male. You could find a plausible woman to play the role, but the movie would end up being heavily rewritten around the change. The world treats women very differently than men (and Bond doesn't operate solely in developed countries). It wouldn't feel like an updated Bond movie, it would feel like a different character. Just my opinion.

Please, please, please, for the love of all that is Holy, can we Brits have a franchise like Bond not have to have an american spin-off/version where everything has to be bigger, flashier etc.... ;)

I get the sentiment, but . . . umm, have you watched a Bond movie? It's all been the biggest & flashiest stuff they could come up with from day one.

I get the sentiment, but . . . umm, have you watched a Bond movie? It's all been the biggest & flashiest stuff they could come up with from day one.
Seen them all.

My comment was a half joking, half serious, but all lighthearted dig at the history of t.v. shows/films/historical facts etc that get an american version that really wasn't necessary.

I mean I once had the misfortune to watch the US version of Fawlty Towers ;)

Well, who’s fault is that?!?

I’m American and I wouldn’t watch an American version of Fawlty towers.

“It’s just not cricket.”

There actually WAS 2 produced, but only one aired. It starred Bea Arthur & was called AMANDA'S. I was about 11 or 12 when it came on.

... & to answer any question about how good it was, they shot 13 episodes but only aired 10.

The other attempt came first, but was only a pilot that never aired starring Harvey Norman & Betty White.

EDIT: I got curious & found that all episodes are on YouTube...

I understand your take but would still take issue. There is no reason why Lester cant be a badass CIA agent himself with his own stories and if you want, you can choose to only have black British actors play him because he acclimatized himself to British society to blend in (or is a British citizen recruited by the CIA).

Or just start a new IP franchise with a black secret agent and have him be another 00 but develop him into his own character. Just making a black Bond or female Bond will always be seen as a token experiment, especially if/when they revert back to a white male.
Which is why I made it very clear that it can't be a token decision. I agree that in today's political climate, that's how any change is going to look but if they could do it, it wouldn't bother me.

I have only watched two of the Daniel Craig films. I think it was the first one and the last one, but I’m not sure, and really do not remember them that well. I just found the four film DVD collection on Amazon for $14 shipped. So I bought it, and will watch them in order, getting ready for the new movie.

Please, please, please, for the love of all that is Holy, can we Brits have a franchise like Bond not have to have an american spin-off/version where everything has to be bigger, flashier etc.... ;)
You probably won’t want to read the two volume Sherlock Holmes anthology that I’m currently editing and illustrating for Belanger Books. (Coming in 2022)

The stories take place in the Multiverse.

And I’m American.

But, if it helps, James Lovegrove has included a story in it and he’s a very prolific British author.

Never been a bond fan...maybe Moore though as he played it for laughs mostly....is';t bond a secret agent but always introduces himself as Bond...James Bond...??...not very 'secret'

There actually WAS 2 produced, but only one aired. It starred Bea Arthur & was called AMANDA'S. I was about 11 or 12 when it came on.

... & to answer any question about how good it was, they shot 13 episodes but only aired 10.

The other attempt came first, but was only a pilot that never aired starring Harvey Norman & Betty White.

EDIT: I got curious & found that all episodes are on YouTube...

There was Payne too.

Which is why I made it very clear that it can't be a token decision. I agree that in today's political climate, that's how any change is going to look but if they could do it, it wouldn't bother me.
I suppose if race had absolutely no impact on the 00 universe and its just Bond who happens to be black, it could work. This current climate makes it impossible though since the first thing that would be emphasized is that Bond is black, not how talented Idris is and that he is the best fit for the role.

A few BTS shots.

Attachments

• NTD-E30.jpg
    NTD-E30.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 63
  • NTD-E32.jpg
    NTD-E32.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • NTD-E41.jpg
    NTD-E41.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 68

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back