Ninja turtle suit, working mouth

These suits look amazing! How many pieces does the suit consist of? is the torso and upper arms all one piece? Can't wait to see more progress!

These suits look amazing! How many pieces does the suit consist of? is the torso and upper arms all one piece? Can't wait to see more progress!

you put it on like this; the legs, these are like shorts that come to the knees.
the feet, basically knee high boots.
the arms, with the shell joined on like a big heavy jersey.
the head, a helmet with a chin strap.
the hands, three finger gloves.
all the seams are hidden by the knee and elbow pads and wrist straps.

I would love to have a full ninja turtle costume. I want to try this method but never worked with foam before, I did however buy my foam gun cutter and some foam to try. Love the moving mouth very cool way you made that work.

Hi guys, thanks for friendly thoughts. I'm fine and back in the workshop with a new piece for the mk2 turtle. Here is a look at the 1st latex foot skin, untrimmed and unpainted but stretched over the foam muscle structure. It seems to fit pretty good with only a few adjustments needed to the foam before I'll get a snug fit.
5013836073_8368e5a103.jpg

Now I will have to sculpt the other foot to match. I've also started sculpting a Halloween style latex mask as a budget option to go with the suit or for collectors. more pics coming soon.

Hi guys, thanks for friendly thoughts. I'm fine and back in the workshop with a new piece for the mk2 turtle. Here is a look at the 1st latex foot skin, untrimmed and unpainted but stretched over the foam muscle structure. It seems to fit pretty good with only a few adjustments needed to the foam before I'll get a snug fit.

Now I will have to sculpt the other foot to match. I've also started sculpting a Halloween style latex mask as a budget option to go with the suit or for collectors. more pics coming soon.

VERY COOL!!! You are truly awesome! :thumbsup
Can't wait to see more! The mask idea is GREAT too! I think about the suit(s) very often! Just showed a fellow collector and he is very interested to see the progress too! He is already telling me to buy one haha.

I'm new to this forum and saw your ninja turtle suit. Absolutely amazing. I am thinking about making one for a Halloween costume. I would obviously try to be as good as yours but with less money involved. I just had a couple of questions. Did you ever try using carpet pad as a base and upholstery foam just for muscles? Also how did you hold all the foam together? Glue? If so what kind? Is there a less expensive substitute for the latex? Also, about how long did it take you to make a complete suit? I was thinking about spray painting the foam but not sure how it would turn out. I want to have an awesome costume and not something that consists of green sweats and a bandana. That's for all your help.

I'm new to this forum and saw your ninja turtle suit. Absolutely amazing. I am thinking about making one for a Halloween costume. I would obviously try to be as good as yours but with less money involved. I just had a couple of questions. Did you ever try using carpet pad as a base and upholstery foam just for muscles? Also how did you hold all the foam together? Glue? If so what kind? Is there a less expensive substitute for the latex? Also, about how long did it take you to make a complete suit? I was thinking about spray painting the foam but not sure how it would turn out. I want to have an awesome costume and not something that consists of green sweats and a bandana. That's for all your help.

Hi and welcome. Thanks for the praise, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Truth is, if you have the skills and don't mind recycling, you could make a suit like this for under $500. My biggest expense is glue, I use a contact adhesive ADOS F2 mainly. It comes in a can or as a spray. The ''carpet pad'' I could get for free here is made from lots of foam bits glued together and has a thin plastic sheet backing on one side. It will work, and is fine, a great cheap shortcut, though I don't use it simply for quality reasons. (I always use the best quality materials when making commissions) You can also get your foam from a mattress or couch cushions. As far as substituting the latex you could glue lycra or a stretchy material over the foam, even pantyhose? That would give you something to paint onto. I don't think spray painting onto untreated foam will look any good. I hope these answers help, Good Luck and make sure to post pics of what you end up making. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back