Ninja turtle suit, working mouth

Just a quick update to show this,
5025575232_b105acb6a3.jpg

more soon.

Still not sure exactly who I'm going for, I think I will try to make this guy have a rugged look like Raph. I am toying with the idea of making add on pieces for the eyebrows so I can change the look slightly of each turtle before glueing on the fabric bandana. There is also scope to change the face shape a little with added foam padding so I could make four different turtles from the same mold, we'll see.
Here is how it looks after I reworked the eyes to be set more accurately,
5069337891_bb6bf89f71.jpg

More work has been done on the face shape, flattening the top of the head and fleshing out the cheeks.
5071119578_0c4335c569.jpg

Next I'll do the bottom jaw and work on the profile.
Please feel free to comment, your feedback is invaluable.

Last edited:
Impressive job, i look forward to seeing the final result!!!!! If you will make it with the movable jaw as your previous foam turtle, you will be rich selling those ones!!! :)

not much to say right now, this has taken a back seat recently except for making up some patterns but I am about to make another 2 in the old style but with a more movie accurate head. I should be starting back into things very shortly so will be posting a lot more stuff soon. cheers for the comments.

hmm ok... uh thanks for that spam noob.

So as some of you may know I live in Christchurch New Zealand and we have been experiencing intense earthquakes. (4000 since sept!) Now thankfully no one died but a lot of the city fell down. My workshop has survived ok with only a few broken sculptures but the main casualty for me was this project. At the time of the big 7.4 quake it was almost ready to mold but then got neglected and dried and cracked off the armature. !t has been hard to prioritize time for the rebuild but I have finally got around to sculpting a new head and have it pretty much where the old one was. Also I have sculpted and molded the other foot skin, made the foam boots and muscles and am about to get some more latex to cast the first pair of skins and put the prototypes together. So stay tuned and I'll post pics very soon.

Well glad to hear that everyone is ok. Keep me posted and I will email you with an update with more info. Like i have said before...."EPIC".

cheers guys, yeah we're all pretty lucky here I guess. The hardest part is what it does to your sense of stability ('scuse the pun) and all of a sudden playing dress ups loses it's importance.... for a while anyway, can't stay away for long.
So here is the new improved head sculpt in progress. the proportions look a bit wierd in the last 2 pics because of a wide angle lens.
l_648eb3ee3fad4ec8988a97c18d985d0c.jpg

l_dfbe16fb38eb44eeb3d3cf2d7ea0d2cd.jpg

l_13bbbbf3f47549709775853a3434312f.jpg

Please let me know your comments and critiques and I will make any changes before molding it.

After talking to some turtle fans I've had some very helpful advice so here is the updated sculpt.
l_1441061dfb494f8c82aeb8939b388f0f.jpg

l_600b086cf0394273bca46d1634d5f562.jpg

l_0cd34deca277461293b3b9dc96b8705f.jpg

The changes I have made are: more bulbous beak, softened the brow, more flesh on cheeks, brought teeth forward, bulked out chin. a bit more form to the bandana. as well as some subtle changes to the eyes and mouth.
Please let me know what you think. I will have to mold this very soon so say if there are any other problems you see and I'll fix them first.
Thanks for your input.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back