NIKE MAG Knockoffs

Would it be insanely difficult to figure out how to make the auto-lace system and then apply it to a project Air Mag?
Has NIKE or any shoe manufacture done it or anything like it yet?
If not, why not because there is actually a market for this other than those of us wanting the shoe in the film.

So I'm going to suggest that it is a lot more challenging than adding a motor and some electronics.

That chick in HK is on to her 3rd prototype and even that last version does not show her foot in the shoe and her design looks to be promising. The question being, is it wearable?

NIKE's Patent shows what looks like a toothed belt under the arch of the foot and smallish motor under the heel driving a shaft that rolls up the said belt. Lets see them actually do that. If they do, it will be amazing, but don't expect it to work exactly the same as in the film. If they don't, their way out is simple - guys it was just FX prop in a movie.

I had an idea where it would be somewhat similar to those retractable dog leashes...

The elastic laces are loose until you put your foot in the shoe, which the laces will become tight once your heel has made contact with the insole that is also some sort of pad/button mechanism. To make it loose again, you press a button somewhere located around the ankle in the inner part of the shoe. No need for a motor.

I don't know... just thinking outloud.

I had an idea where it would be somewhat similar to those retractable dog leashes...

The elastic laces are loose until you put your foot in the shoe, which the laces will become tight once your heel has made contact with the insole that is also some sort of pad/button mechanism. To make it loose again, you press a button somewhere located around the ankle in the inner part of the shoe. No need for a motor.

I don't know... just thinking outloud.

Which is all good. So why elastic? The laces of the 2015 MAG would have meant to been some rigid strap, not one that stretched. Technically elastic is the motorless form fitting lacing system.

Having actually messed with this, I'll share a little secret. The challenge is the length of the straps needed to get your foot in and out of the shoe and where they go when they wind up. They actually become quite bulky and the shoe becomes almost a case of the Tardis or MF where the inside needs to be bigger than the outside to fit everything in - or there is no room left for your foot.

If you build it all externally the shoe becomes bulky and does not look like the MAG we all want.

Which is all good. So why elastic? The laces of the 2015 MAG would have meant to been some rigid strap, not one that stretched. Technically elastic is the motorless form fitting lacing system.

Having actually messed with this, I'll share a little secret. The challenge is the length of the straps needed to get your foot in and out of the shoe and where they go when they wind up. They actually become quite bulky and the shoe becomes almost a case of the Tardis or MF where the inside needs to be bigger than the outside to fit everything in - or there is no room left for your foot.

If you build it all externally the shoe becomes bulky and does not look like the MAG we all want.

I was also wondering if the technology of Batman's cape in The Dark Knight where it can become rigid could apply to laces... that could solve the bulk issue, right?

I was also wondering if the technology of Batman's cape in The Dark Knight where it can become rigid could apply to laces... that could solve the bulk issue, right?

Is that even real or another magic movie FX thing?

If it is real, then it needs a power supply to keep it rigid which then raises further questions such as -

1. How much voltage is required?
2. How long can a battery pack last providing said power?
3. What happens when the power fails?

Just remember, it's a movie, not a documentary. They use special effects to do those things.

Translation: That material isn't real.

-Nick

Just remember, it's a movie, not a documentary. They use special effects to do those things.

Translation: That material isn't real.

-Nick

:lol:lol:lol

It is good to see people actually thinking about the possibilities though.

The point being missed is that the shoe needs to expand and contract. That means a change of both the shape and size and just where does that extra material go when it contracts.

The truth about the power laces in the movie is that they were done by a stage hand under the false floor. You can even see the slots cut through the ply wood near Marty's left foot during that first lace up sequence. I'd suggest his foot was supposed to cover that slot, but there is in full view on HD video.

:lol:lol:lol

It is good to see people actually thinking about the possibilities though.

The point being missed is that the shoe needs to expand and contract. That means a change of both the shape and size and just where does that extra material go when it contracts.

The truth about the power laces in the movie is that they were done by a stage hand under the false floor. You can even see the slots cut through the ply wood near Marty's left foot during that first lace up sequence. I'd suggest his foot was supposed to cover that slot, but there is in full view on HD video.

Exactly even the jacket was all FX work....

i've seen the first video of the girl on youtube (I think) that has the power laces worked out, but is there technology small enough to even fit where it needs too in a shoe? Also is it strong enough to hold during wearing of the shoe?

It'll be a cool feature for display but I don't see it as a practical thing

Exactly even the jacket was all FX work....

i've seen the first video of the girl on youtube (I think) that has the power laces worked out, but is there technology small enough to even fit where it needs too in a shoe? Also is it strong enough to hold during wearing of the shoe?

It'll be a cool feature for display but I don't see it as a practical thing

All very valid points and why I made the comments about the NIKE patent a few posts back.

We have (supposedly) flown Man to the moon. We can laser correct a persons vision, yet we still secure our shoes with a piece of string. Why? Because at this time, it is the only thing that allows a shoe to be really tightened and strong enough to hold that load under the strain and stress of real life movement. I don't see 'power lacing' ever being more than a gimmick. The closest thing to "power lacing" is the PUMA disc.

All very valid points and why I made the comments about the NIKE patent a few posts back.

We have (supposedly) flown Man to the moon. We can laser correct a persons vision, yet we still secure our shoes with a piece of string. Why? Because at this time, it is the only thing that allows a shoe to be really tightened and strong enough to hold that load under the strain and stress of real life movement. I don't see 'power lacing' ever being more than a gimmick. The closest thing to "power lacing" is the PUMA disc.

For any golfers out there, the shoe brand footjoy has a pretty sleek lacing system where all you do is twist a knob on the heel of the shoe to tighten. The apparatus is small and if someone could figure out how to mechanize it with electronics, I'm sure it would fit somewhere in the shoe. Then again, golf shoe laces are super thin, like dress shoes, not "fatboy" laces that are on the mags

Or what we could do is hire a little person to hide under our car and pull the shoes laces/straps tight from behind and make it look like power laces.

Im honestly blow away by this massive thread and the majority of recent posts are over 0 legit info. You guys are crazy! order a pair and wait for them haha nobody is sick of taking about the same thing over and over with nothing new to add? www.hiphopiop.cc/ charges $50 for shipping btw bringing their shoes to $150 shipped. Anyone know of a site with a cheaper total?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back