Nightwing Injustice Inspired Domino Mask!

DialMforMaldo

How's everyone doing? Well this is my second cosplay piece (first being my Wolverine Claws) and a current WIP. Right now I'm working on finishing up the initial clay sculpt of the mask for my Nightwing Cosplay. I am using the Injustice version of the character as my inspiration, slight variations as I see fit, and all in all it's moving along rather nicely.

I am using Monster Makers Oil Based Clay, and various tools. I keep a heat gun on standby for when I need it. The head armature is the Monster Makers Ed Head; it works well, I have no complaints so far. I started out by using a picture I found on the computer, but the curvature of the spikes gave it a more demonic look than a Nightwing look. So I took the video game itself. Put a screen shot of the character on my TV and edited the curves, spikes, and thickness. So far I am very happy with the changes!

I pretty much put a movie on and sculpt, and once this is done will move right on to the next mask. Plan to keep up this pace and hoping to cast the mold very soon!

If you already find yourself interested in owning one, I plan on making a few. So please, feel free to send me a private message and I will add you on the interested list; I don't mind doing pr
e-orders either!
IMG_5532.JPGIMG_5549.JPGIMG_5582.JPGIMG_5608.JPG

IMG_5532.JPG

IMG_5549.JPG

IMG_5582.JPG

IMG_5608.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE!

Early start today, but got a bunch done!

Started out by working on the symmetry a bit. Since I am doing all the symmetry work by hand and eye-balling it, it takes a bit longer; looking forward to when the caliper arrives!
I did some work raking the brow smooth and then decided to make the mask look more streamlined by thinning out the center spike and shortening the beak. Still not EXACTLY where I want it to be, but I'll hopefully be finishing it up this weekend!

IMG_5622.JPGIMG_5627.JPG

IMG_5622.JPG

IMG_5627.JPG

I like that you shrunk the top center spike, since it was starting to look like the suggestion of a crown. It sort of reminds of a Nightwing version of Kyle Raynor's GL mask, in that it covers a larger portion of the face.

Keep up the good work! Symmetry is always a pain in the ass, but you seem to be handling it well!

Vox thank you! Yeah, though I enjoyed the practice with the original image, I wasn't feeling very "Nightwing" ha. You're not kidding about the symmetry either. It can be frustrating but also kind of fun.

It's funny you mention that because I'm looking to do a Hal Jordan mask soon.

UPDATE
After much consideration I decided to take down some of the flare of the brow edges, giving it a more sleek look. I was a little nervous that I would ruin the mask, but using the shaving tools I was able to do it bit by bit on each side and maintain the symmetry.
A few more adjustments and it will be ready for smoothing!

IMG_5662.JPG
IMG_5662.JPG

IMG_5662.JPG

UPDATE
Finally got to doing the turpenoid wash and smoothed the mask. I am very happy with the way it has come out. I worked out the symmetry a bit more, brought down the brow flare more, and really gave it more of the Nightwing look. A little less curvy and a little larger than the Injustice mask. but I am still happy.
I will be doing the mold border and wall tomorrow!
IMG_5664.JPGIMG_5663.JPGIMG_5665.JPGIMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5663.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG

IMG_5665.JPG

IMG_5666.JPG

UPDATE
Well, the mold border and walls are all done. Took a while to get it the way I wanted it and to make sure the armature was protected but it's ready for the mold to be made. Waiting on a delivery of hydrocal plaster and then I will pour and pray! Feeling good about it though!

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

UPDATE
Well the mask mold is just about finished (minus a few tweeks). I used hydrocal to create the mold and I have to say I am happy with the end result. Extremely smooth, only took a few hours to settle(if even that), and very sturdy and durable.

There are minor flaws that I am going to fix this weekend; chip under both eyes, and a small one in the right spike. I am going to construct a wall at the low point to prevent the latex from spilling out when I pour the mold. I could brush on the latex but I would rather pour it and get a much smoother finish. I’ll worry about that after the mold is fully finished!

If anyone is interested in this project please feel free to let me know. I plan on burning off a bunch of these when it is completed and will gladly add you to my interest list!

photo 1 - Copy.JPGphoto 2 - Copy.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

photo 1 - Copy.JPG

photo 2 - Copy.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

UPDATE!

The mold is fixed! My latex order got delayed so I am in a bit of a holding pattern for a while.

I used extra hydrocal to smooth out the dammaged portions as well as build walls on the low points to make the mold a more "bowl-like" structure!

Really looking forward to pouring the first mask!

photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPG

I can't believe I forgot to update this!!

Here is a look at the finished mask. Still hadn't "perfected it" to the way I want it, but overall it came out well and I was pleased. I am looking forward to pouring another and really improving on the fit and thickness! It's tricky because it is very important to me that the mask attach via an adhesive to maintain the comic effect!

Thanks for following along and if you are interested in owning one please message me! I can send them in the black but if you would like it darker I suggest giving it a coat of latext paint. I will do commissions for pre-orders (message me for price or email me at jmaldo85@gmail.com), but please excuse any delays because this is currently a busy time in my life (should die down a bit late summer)! Thanks again!

IMG_6095.JPGIMG_6111.JPGIMG_6117.JPGIMG_6166.JPGMask Creation Collage.jpg

IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6111.JPG

IMG_6117.JPG

IMG_6166.JPG

Mask Creation Collage.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back