New Star Wars film by the Game of Thrones Showrunners

Yeah, but they didn't write GoT. They had everything they needed for the first 5 seasons, after that GoT sucked more and more each new season.

So I don't see them being showrunners of GoT as a good thing. Makes me dread the future of Star Wars that much more.
I was not referring to the story writing or character development, I was meaning how that series manages to envelope you in an epic world of incredible landscapes, vast battles and creates a complete world as a backdrop for a story. That to me is a lot of what makes Star Wars work. The writing may not be the best at times, but the feeling you get when you are in the theater is that of being transported to a very different place

A lot of the Bond films can do this as well

Re: the whole issue of how to make a Star Wars film when you can't use dudes in white armor and Jedi in brown robes and have an Empire and a Rebellion.

It can absolutely be done, but it requires people to think beyond their preconceptions of what Star Wars "is." To me, Star Wars is more than just the look of the OT. You want your tech to be...informed by what we see in the OT, but not beholden to it. So, yeah, you'd probably see blasters. But maybe they sport a lot more wood furniture or look more ornate or whathaveyou. Consider how different TPM looked. For all the crap that movie gets and deserves, you can't knock the production design. It is unimistakeably Star Wars, and yet none of it looks anything like what we see in the OT.

There are tech level issues that are a concern, but I think what matters more is that Naboo and everything about it comes across as more ornate and focused on beauty, rather than practical and focused on utility. You could play with those sliders with your production design and do just fine, as long as you maintain the concepts of things like blasters and hyperspace travel.

The Old Republic comics do a pretty good job of this with lightsabres still being lightsabres, but also looking quite different from the OT and PT stuff we see. Starships are still starships, but they aren't knock-off X-wings or TIE fighters. They typically bulkier, featuring antennae and what I can only guess are heat sinks/fins and such.

Star Wars can and must expand beyond the confines of the OT and stuff that mimics it. You can still tell stories within that milieu and set them in far-flung corners of the galaxy, focused on things other than the Galactic Civil War (one reason I loved Solo and wish there were more films coming in that series). But you can also do that in the Old Republic era at any number of points, or make up entirely new history for the universe.

I imagine it would be like if the only Trek you had seen was TNG with the Galaxy Class and somebody came up with a new show with the TOS Constitution class ship. There is no mistaking it is a Federation ship, the tech elements are still there and the configuration is somewhat familiar, but it looks to be from a different time.

I agree that is HAS to evolve past what we know in order to survive as a franchise. Whether the people in charge are capable of delivering compelling stories that accomplish that is the real question.

TLJ-Go-T-censored.jpg

Re: the whole issue of how to make a Star Wars film when you can't use dudes in white armor and Jedi in brown robes and have an Empire and a Rebellion.

It can absolutely be done, but it requires people to think beyond their preconceptions of what Star Wars "is." To me, Star Wars is more than just the look of the OT. You want your tech to be...informed by what we see in the OT, but not beholden to it. So, yeah, you'd probably see blasters. But maybe they sport a lot more wood furniture or look more ornate or whathaveyou. Consider how different TPM looked. For all the crap that movie gets and deserves, you can't knock the production design. It is unimistakeably Star Wars, and yet none of it looks anything like what we see in the OT.

There are tech level issues that are a concern, but I think what matters more is that Naboo and everything about it comes across as more ornate and focused on beauty, rather than practical and focused on utility. You could play with those sliders with your production design and do just fine, as long as you maintain the concepts of things like blasters and hyperspace travel.

The Old Republic comics do a pretty good job of this with lightsabres still being lightsabres, but also looking quite different from the OT and PT stuff we see. Starships are still starships, but they aren't knock-off X-wings or TIE fighters. They typically bulkier, featuring antennae and what I can only guess are heat sinks/fins and such.

Star Wars can and must expand beyond the confines of the OT and stuff that mimics it. You can still tell stories within that milieu and set them in far-flung corners of the galaxy, focused on things other than the Galactic Civil War (one reason I loved Solo and wish there were more films coming in that series). But you can also do that in the Old Republic era at any number of points, or make up entirely new history for the universe.

And the easiest way to achieve a lot of that is jump backward or forward a large number of years...500, 1000, etc. Anything from the timeframe of TPM through the ST is going to have clones or stormtroopers and a connection to the empire. Plus we focused on the biggest bad guy of that time frame. The whole galaxy there knew those were the bad guys, etc. You can't go to that time and have a new epic series without those entanglements.

If i were doing it, i'd do a time where the comics and movies haven't gone so it's a blank slate. There's no pre-conceived notions for an unknown era.

Just plan out the damn story before shooting anything.

Except going back even 4,000 years the tech isn't that much different. There's still blasters, lightsabers, droids, fighters, capital ships, etc. That is unless Disney decides to completely **** this era up too.

Again, there won't be much to distinguish this visually from what we already know. You can't devolve a look when so much of Star Wars design elements borrow from different eras of history and cultures from all over the world. It may take place 4000 years before A New Hope, but other than the opening credits or a date appearing on screen you won't be able to tell when it takes place. Star Wars has always been a mashup of a high and low tech. Using beasts of burden and speeders, for example.

The prequels also took place within several generations of the OT so having similar tech would make sense as it evolved into the OT and the ST.

I just can't picture it. How will you make it look "older?" Just watching the game trailers for The Old Republic games and they don't look all that different from what we've already seen.

I contend that this universe everyone thinks is so vast is actually very limited. I love Star Wars but maybe it's just better to leave it alone. I mean I love ice cream but if I eat it all the time I either end up diabetic or have a heart attack. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.

Last edited:
Given the recent backlash against GoT season 8, is this going to be a good thing? "I have a bad feeling about this."

The problem with GoT, is that they've painted themselves into a corner time wise, so have had to curtail a lot of things that they would've possible expanded upon in more than 6 episodes.

The biggest issue is that they had a large amount of pre-written character backstories to draw from, and once that was used up, they just couldn't get the "feel" of the characters. Brand new characters in a SW universe won't have that issue.

Good. After what they did to Game of Thrones I wasn't gonna watch 'em anyway.
They're in the same boat with Rian Johnson: I'll never watch anything they do ever again.

Ironically, they botched GoT so they could hurry up and start making Star Wars films. Dumbasses...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back