New Member building original design armor

TheBeezNeez

Hello! I'm a new member to the RPF, but I've been watching threads for the past couple months after discovering an amazing Mass Effect N7 armor build using these EVA foam mats as my crafting material.

I was inspired by the ME armor, but also a video on BackyardFX about how easy it is so construct armor out of the material. So, seeing as how I have never made anything cosplay related but always enjoyed cosplaying, I figured it was time to try my hand at something.

So, here I am making an original design (with some inspiration from various different places) piece of armor to see if I can do it first of all and secondly, if it works out I hope to do some more complicated things in the future. Ultimately I'd like to build my own suit of ME N7 armor, as I love the series of games and those suits are freaking cool!

During my build, a friend asked if I'd also make him a shield that looks like a manhole. Seeing as how the foam has a good pattern for it, I said I'd give it a try and below should be some pictures of not only my armor but the shield I'm making as well. I'll try and keep posted with updates here, I've only been updating my person FaceBook page so far and thought this would not only be a good way of getting my build in the public eye, but also get hints and tips for future projects! So, feel free to praise or criticize as you see fit :)

Attachments

• 216704_2127560665398_1137363953_32513978_8140232_n.jpg
    216704_2127560665398_1137363953_32513978_8140232_n.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 223608_2170622741923_1137363953_32579065_2524188_n.jpg
    223608_2170622741923_1137363953_32579065_2524188_n.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 251521_2171024471966_1137363953_32579560_8171544_n.jpg
    251521_2171024471966_1137363953_32579560_8171544_n.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 185222_2186775865741_1137363953_32599754_6911319_n.jpg
    185222_2186775865741_1137363953_32599754_6911319_n.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 238
I've been working alot with this type of foam for my Buzz build.

You can dremel the edges for a bevel. I've also found using a long sharp box cutter knife is the best way to get clean cuts.

To Seal it up for painting, there are alot of methods. I'm using plastic-dip spray.

I've been working alot with this type of foam for my Buzz build.

You can dremel the edges for a bevel. I've also found using a long sharp box cutter knife is the best way to get clean cuts.

To Seal it up for painting, there are alot of methods. I'm using plastic-dip spray.

Yeah, I've been using a dremel as well for the edges and a heat knife for cutting the foam. I still find that I have to sand the edges though, regardless.

I'm almost ready to start painting, and I've seen people just straight up paint the foam and I've heard people say it's best to seal it. I guess I should seal it though, just in case.

Before you throw paint on it, test out the paint on a small piece of foam so you see how it sits on it.

Sealing it with a few layers of Plastic dip makes a huge difference from what I've tried.

Very awesome stuff, i have a 2 packs of foam like yours but still need ideas on what to do with it. I like the manhold shield idea!

Very awesome stuff, i have a 2 packs of foam like yours but still need ideas on what to do with it. I like the manhold shield idea!

Thank you! Yeah, I started on one project but got overwhelmed since I had not used the foam yet. But, now that I've gotten so far with this armor and the shield, I feel confident in trying my hand at even more challenging things. Especially since this is mostly an original armor, which I think is even harder to make because I'm having to draw up designs for all the pieces. If I choose a videogame or movie to go by, I'll already have a design! lol

The manhole shield was a friends idea that he's commissioned me to make. Everything other than "manhole shield" is my design based on various manhole images and ideas I've had.

Haven't updated in a while! I got sick from going out in this horrible Texas drought weather to sand and paint and then back in to the freezing AC!! But, I managed to make progress!

Helmet I picked up at the army surplus store and painted black to match what everything else will eventually be (I have since thrown it on some concrete, dragged and kicked it around to make it look beat up and worn). The mask was just laying around the garage and BEGGED to be painted black and used in a post apocalyptic world. I think it works well ;)

7500-helmet-i-picked-up-army-surplus-painted-flat-black-match-what-everything-will-eventually-painted-mask-laying-around-int-he-garage-begged-me-paint-black-add-costume-i-think-its-appropriate-post-apocalyptic-wold-d.jpg

This is my shoulder armor I've been tearing my hair out over. It took me forever to come up with a design that I finally liked (and worked). My character has a Punisher theme going on, and to keep with that I decided to use the slogan "Punish the Wicked". The design on the other shoulder is completely random.

7498-shoulder-armor-battle-damage-details-carved-foam.jpg

Detail picture of the center of the shield I'm making for my friend. He wanted the shield to be from Gotham due to his love of and cosplay of The Joker, sort of an homage to that. I suggested the year since that's when the bombs drop.

7496-shield-commission-my-buddy-wanted-city-gotham-manhole-cover-pay-homage-one-his-favorite-cosplays-joker-i-suggested-using-2077-year-manhole-made-since-its-also-year-bombs-fall-fallout-lore.jpg

I'm really proud of this one! It was actually very simple to construct and only took me 2-3 days. I had the lunchbox because, well, I'm a big fan and had to have it. I never thought I'd be using it for a prop from the game itself!

The Sensor Module is made from an old RF Switch box I had laying around. I gutted it and sanded it, then painted it flat black and scuffed it up a bit. Drilled a hole in it for the on/off toggle switch (I really, really like that toggle switch be tee dub). The yellow and red wires came from an old AC adapter box I didn't use. And the antenna was actually a round TV antenna. I had to cut it and bend it to shape, which was NOT easy! Once it was the correct shape I just glued it on.

I looked around for a little LED to put on there, but couldn't find anything around the house and didn't want to spend money on this (I only bought the toggle switch from radioshack). Maybe one day I'll rig the switch to a red LED so it'll actually light up when it's "armed" ;)

7504-i-looked-around-little-led-put-there-but-couldnt-find-anything-around-house-didnt-want-spend-money-i-only-bought-toggle-switch-radioshack-maybe-one-day-ill-rig-switch-red-led-so-itll-actually-light-up-when-its-armed.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back