New idea for a build Isaac from the TV show The Orville

Jeffx

Well the wife and I just finished watching the second episode of The Orville on Hulu. I love this show!!!One character that I already love is Isaac the Science officer from Kaylon-1. Wouldn't it be cool to build his outfit???I am planning a build... What do you guys think?

Attachments

• OrvilleFace.jpg
    OrvilleFace.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 860
  • OrvilleFront.jpeg
    OrvilleFront.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 941
  • OrvilleFrontHigh.jpg
    OrvilleFrontHigh.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,312
  • OrvilleFull.jpg
    OrvilleFull.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 588
  • OrvilleSide.jpg
    OrvilleSide.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 706
I think it's a great idea.
I was wondering if anyone was going to challenge costume builds from the show.

https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=759698&d=1505786324

Breathing would be one thing and seeing would be another.
Since this is a costume you can use creative license and make the face cover out of a type of breathable mesh.
And you may be able to partially see through it.

Added note:
If the face cover was made of a rigid perforated material then covered in a titanium metallic color nylon (etc),
then lights (blue LEDs) could also be attached on the inside.

I think the body suit is going to be a huge challenge. Would love to see your technique.
Post progress pics.

Last edited:
The show is very interesting, I am not fully on board with the humor, it's too contemporary for me, it doesn't feel like it's part of the universe. I am willing to give it a full season, as for Isaac, his voice sounds so much like Data it throws me off, I have a theory that Isaac isn't an android but a suit worn but a tiny alien in his chest(MIB style), it just seems like something MacFarlane would do.

Last edited:
Well there you are.

Looking at the picture above, it appears someone off camera is guiding the character by a voice radio transmitter and receiver.
I think these are his handlers on set:
DHSxk2TU0AAOVmy.jpg
It seems that if you go fairly accurate to the face shield of the helmet, you won't have to see through it at all.
But you will have to breath :)
Just have a "handler" guide you around a convention floor while talking to you via radio.....
Is this something you would consider doing for your costume?
DCVQTSCUIAAMWgk.jpg

DJtQ5pwU8AAOhtj.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the 2nd episode and I am a bit less enthused than I was after the first. It's OK. I really want to like this show. I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide though.

Your idea to create an Isaac seems like a great idea but a bit daunting. Isaac seems to me to be almost identical in looks and voice to the automaton in the Voyager epsiode 'Prototype' (Season 2 episode 13).
Prototype 2-13.jpg

It would be very cool if you can pull this off. I'd love to see that!

Incredibly helpful photos guy!!! I couldn't find a picture of the back of the suit.... Disappointing that the back of the suit is so bland.... I tell you guys the hardest thing that i can see to this build is to try and find the material for the legs...

Honestly the part of the build that I most excited about is the helmet. the rest is really straight forward sewing with a little bit of sculpting work on the chest plate and shoulders.

The basic form of the helmet is just going to be fun to hand shape. Then Vacuum forming 2-3 mil plexi over the plug.

Does anybody have ideas about a Chrome looking film like window tint that could be applied to the plexi? This would keep it see through from the inside.....

Last edited:
If you vacuum-form the faceplate in clear; and then use a very light coat of the metallic blue color, you should be able to see - not well maybe, but enough to carefully move around.
You may have to wear a "head stocking" with eye holes to keep your skin color from showing through.

I'm new here, but there are mirrored window films that you can get at Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, etc. that should work for that.

I haven't made a helmet in a while, so I figured Isaac would be a good one to try. I've been modeling it in Solidworks for a few hours and this is what I have so far. I still need to test fit it for my head. I haven't thought about how I want to fabricate it yet though. Vacuum forming the face out of clear plastic would allow the LEDs to shine through a thin layer of paint. But 3D printing it in multiple pieces then gluing it together is probably the easiest. I'm open to feedback since I'm not very invested yet.

isaac.png

This is a character and costume I'd love to try and build. It does look simple, but the more you look into it, the more complex it is.
I reckon the front of the head is formed in clear or tinted perspex, then lightly misted with silver paint to leave just a little ision at the front. The lights are probably either LEDs or circles of EL tape mounted at eyebrow height.

I'd love to see this done. The helmet, at least the front section, is definitely a clear piece that's been misted with a one-way transparent silver. The eyes look like half spherical lights, probably mounted just above where the actors eyes are.

It's been a while since this thread was last updated, for the record I am fully on board, The Orville is one the best Star Trek shows on TV. I just realize that Isaac is Klaatu from the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still".
day-the-earth-stood-still-1951-klaatu-shot-gift-review.jpg

Incredibly helpful photos guy!!! I couldn't find a picture of the back of the suit.... Disappointing that the back of the suit is so bland.... I tell you guys the hardest thing that i can see to this build is to try and find the material for the legs...

Honestly the part of the build that I most excited about is the helmet. the rest is really straight forward sewing with a little bit of sculpting work on the chest plate and shoulders.

The basic form of the helmet is just going to be fun to hand shape. Then Vacuum forming 2-3 mil plexi over the plug.

Does anybody have ideas about a Chrome looking film like window tint that could be applied to the plexi? This would keep it see through from the inside.....
I like the idea of doing this costume as well, from what I can see the helmet is a full cover face shield, with the shape of the top of the helmet it looks like it could be big enough to have two fans that blow down over the inside of the face shield downward from the top.
Also Isaacs eyes look to be sitting above marks eye line almost like the Jawas from Star Wars type fashion but inside a plastic shell.

Just rewatching The Orville in preparation for the upcoming Season 3. Is there any more progress on Isaac as a costume? I've found plenty of commercially available Union uniforms, but nothing on Isaac as yet.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back