NEW Hellboy Samaritan Definitive Thread

I'm expecting just that with the guns.

Here he is with the modded out german flare gun.

harbour-0.jpg

I have many of the same nitpicks. :)

Last edited:
Remember the deltoro films were not without their inaccuracies! Hellboy and Liz in a relationship, the creation of his love of cats, the terrible child version of Hellboy at the beginning of the golden army!
Every adaptation will differ from the source but I am still optimistic!

Oh you're absolutely right, they definitely were different! No adaptation is without those changes, it's inevitable. I think the Del Toro movies get a lot more leeway from me on an emotional level because they introduced me to Hellboy, and I read the comics later. So I think that gave it that safe zone where I didn't find it as bothersome, even now going back and rewatching them. Probably not super fair, but hey, I'm not a professional movie critic so I think I get away with it. :p

A bit of info on the gun(s) from a Collider article:

Hellboy, known for his signature revolver, gets two guns in the reboot. “He loses [one] quite quickly and then he’s presented with this gun,” says a rep for the prop department, turning his attention to a 1940 Austrian revolver that fires about 38 blanks.

This Hellboy will also be the first Hellboy movie to feature a “blank-firing Hellboy gun.”

Props punched up Hellboy’s main gun with new steel attachments and an enlarged chamber. “It was really difficult for the armorer because this Austrian revolver, he had to make this cartridge chamber from scratch,” the rep explains. “So that’s all steel and in the real gun it’s all steel inside. In order for the mechanism to work, because that was fairly tricky because the gun obviously had a cartridge chamber that was much smaller originally so the mechanism inside had to deal with much more weight when turning each bullet or each spin cartridge.”

Harbour wanted to film scenes showing Hellboy reloading the gun, but the revolver didn’t work that way. “The whole chamber doesn’t come out… so that was maybe not as elegant as it could’ve been. But you can fake it and work around it.”

Not sure what the takeaway on all of this should be - these kind of journalists never seem to fully comprehend what's being conveyed and there's always a bit of "lost in translation." I'm wondering if the "fires about 38 blanks" quote is actually referencing .38 caliber blanks, i.e. the "Austrian revolver" is chambered in .38 caliber.

‘Hellboy’ Set Visit: 47 Things to Know About Neil Marshall’s Dark, “Grounded” Reboot

A bit of info on the gun(s) from a Collider article:

Hellboy, known for his signature revolver, gets two guns in the reboot. “He loses [one] quite quickly and then he’s presented with this gun,” says a rep for the prop department, turning his attention to a 1940 Austrian revolver that fires about 38 blanks.

Not sure what the takeaway on all of this should be - these kind of journalists never seem to fully comprehend what's being conveyed and there's always a bit of "lost in translation." I'm wondering if the "fires about 38 blanks" quote is actually referencing .38 caliber blanks, i.e. the "Austrian revolver" is chambered in .38 caliber.

Very logical.

It's not from the 1940's. It's built on an 1870 Gasser revolver. Why on earth anybody would build that gun with a base on an 1870 Gasser is an enormous mystery to me. WTF??

If you compare the loading gate with the little handle on it, The ejector rod, the trigger and trigger guard, yup, that's an 1870 gasser.

Gasser-M1870.jpg

I wonder if this gun c ock s open (around where his index finger is)? Kinda like the old Samaritan. There appears to be a groove behind the chamber where bullets could be fed, so maybe it doesn't open...

Too busy to see it this weekend too - grrrrr

No, it's not a top break like the Ron Perlman gun, this loads and unloads like a single action "cowboy" revolver. It has a loading gate, and a sliding ejector rod.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back