New costume suggestions required please

Nobby

Sr Member
Hi all,

Being the short-arse that I am, I'm getting a little tired of all the "aren't you a little short....." comments.

So I've been wanting to do a costume that could make me taller. Maybe utilizing stilts (or similar) or high-lift boots.

Does anyone have any suggestions (sensible and not needing a second mortgage!)???

cheers guys and gals

buddy of mine built a Chewbacca from scratch (rug hooked the whole thing) with stilts and head for around $900. I'm 6'2 in my predator he's almost eight feet in his Chewy I believe
n615365188_1786902_6689.jpg

buddy of mine built a Chewbacca from scratch (rug hooked the whole thing) with stilts and head for around $900. I'm 6'2 in my predator he's almost eight feet in his Chewy I believe
n615365188_1786902_6689.jpg

wow, that's brilliant. great price too!!
did he happen to do a tutorial anywhere?

Oooh, you should do one of the Knights of Ni from Monty Python and the Holy Grail! I've seen them done before, but never really well, and its about time one got made!

well not knowing what you look like or what you're really into you could always do costumes like Ziggy Stardust or Elton John. They have some awesome outfits, are always recognizable and always wear platforms and heels and the like. Now obviously if you're not into those two performers or if you're only looking for actual movie/tv costumes then those wont do.....but......if you ever just want something fun to wear to a party or fast to make then you may want to consider something like that. It could be because I'm on a David Bowie kick at the moment as well lol.

Great ideas there, Arwen.
Out of the two, I'd probably go for Bowie (being a child of the 70's), but I'd really like to go for something more sci-fi/fantasy :)

One of my friends does Darth Revan, with all the robes you don't notice the lifts and hes about 6' in it. And there are pep files available.

One of my friends does Darth Revan, with all the robes you don't notice the lifts and hes about 6' in it. And there are pep files available.

yeah, true
think I'm gonna go more with the 'builder's stilts' idea. Being only 5'6", I think I need a little more than just shoe inserts or 'wedge heels/soles'

yeah, true
think I'm gonna go more with the 'builder's stilts' idea. Being only 5'6", I think I need a little more than just shoe inserts or 'wedge heels/soles'

My fiance is 5'6" so we're always coming up with costumes that work with his height. Personally unless you're going as something like Chewie I think stilts always look a bit off unless the character really has that gangly look about them. One of the characters that I'm thinking of trying to make for him that would involve stilts is Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas. I try to pick actors who, while still usually taller then him, aren't that much taller. For example Johnny Depp....I'm always doing Depp costumes because he fits them so well and his height I think works better then those who are loads taller. I know some people get all bent out of shape when a persons height doesn't match the actual character but I feel if the character has the option of not necessarily being tall then a good costume can make up for that fact. For example, my fiance would never really be able to "pull off" Thor.....but I think with some slightly heeled boots and an awesome costume he could totally pull of Loki. I know Loki is tall but I feel like he doesn't have to be tall to be convincing.

Although if you're looking for more "stilt" characters and you like SciFi try Star Trek Next Gen.....there's some pretty crazy aliens in there that could probably work with stilts.

yeah, there's certainly loads of 'smaller stature' costumes that work well.
I'll look into those ST chracters

Not to go against the Knight of Ni suggestion, but I thought of another one that would be a lot harder - El Fauno from Pan's Labrynth. Definitely tall, and definitely cool.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back