Indiana Jones costume suggestions

OfficerMD

Hey there!

Putting together a costume for my birthday next Autumn. Have a few props laying around and got myself a whip a while ago with the intention of making the costume - so those are fine. I think my costume will be a mix and match of sorts. Probably would like to get two pairs of pants (one weathered lightly and other full on blood and grime) and three shirts (lightly weathered Cairo, end of Raiders style and Temple shirt); at least at some point.

Aldens I will not be buying - 600€ per pair, not worth going for the accuracy there. Have kids to feed. Was thinking of Wested boots. And I think WhatPriceGlory have a pair of similar boots too.

Fedora you can recommend for me. Love the Raiders look, it is iconic. Actually like all the films for different reasons, Temple is the first I saw which I love, Raiders is plot wise the best for me and Crusade is probably the most polished and funniest of the original three. I’ve even grown a bit more fond of the fourth one (CGI in that one still bugs me though). Now I’m a tall guy, 195cm to be exact and not the most buffest guy, so don’t want to look like a fool so that is why I’m asking for opinions. Would love a Herbert Johnson but if there is a better option - I’d love to hear.

Leather coat is obviously Wested. Which model and leather though..? Raiders?
Pants - I was thinking either Wested or WhatPriceGlory.
Shirt - Again either Wested or WhatPriceGlory.
Accessories like gun belt, web belt, holster and whip holder - well see the pattern above.

Now I’ve read numerous threads on Indy stuff way back when I was a kid at Club Obi Wan, here etc. So I do know quite a bit but with limited funds I’d like to have the best start for pre-weathering (cost and quality wise). I guess I’m trying to say I’m still a bit confused what route I’d like to take and asking for some advice due to that. Wish I could look a bit more like Harrison though, haha.

Thanks in advance!

-J

Hey there!

Putting together a costume for my birthday next Autumn. Have a few props laying around and got myself a whip a while ago with the intention of making the costume - so those are fine. I think my costume will be a mix and match of sorts. Probably would like to get two pairs of pants (one weathered lightly and other full on blood and grime) and three shirts (lightly weathered Cairo, end of Raiders style and Temple shirt); at least at some point.

Aldens I will not be buying - 600€ per pair, not worth going for the accuracy there. Have kids to feed. Was thinking of Wested boots. And I think WhatPriceGlory have a pair of similar boots too.

Fedora you can recommend for me. Love the Raiders look, it is iconic. Actually like all the films for different reasons, Temple is the first I saw which I love, Raiders is plot wise the best for me and Crusade is probably the most polished and funniest of the original three. I’ve even grown a bit more fond of the fourth one (CGI in that one still bugs me though). Now I’m a tall guy, 195cm to be exact and not the most buffest guy, so don’t want to look like a fool so that is why I’m asking for opinions. Would love a Herbert Johnson but if there is a better option - I’d love to hear.

Leather coat is obviously Wested. Which model and leather though..? Raiders?
Pants - I was thinking either Wested or WhatPriceGlory.
Shirt - Again either Wested or WhatPriceGlory.
Accessories like gun belt, web belt, holster and whip holder - well see the pattern above.

Now I’ve read numerous threads on Indy stuff way back when I was a kid at Club Obi Wan, here etc. So I do know quite a bit but with limited funds I’d like to have the best start for pre-weathering (cost and quality wise). I guess I’m trying to say I’m still a bit confused what route I’d like to take and asking for some advice due to that. Wish I could look a bit more like Harrison though, haha.

Thanks in advance!

-J
21B9184B-CEB3-454D-9F43-FE7CEA7D2662.jpeg

No replies yet but…
So here’s so far the only piece I have - the whip. It is by Scourgehoard from Etsy, and it’s a beautiful whip (not that I know anything about whips). Not screen accurate surely but good enough for me! It included a whip holder but thinking of updating that down the line. Comments?

And like I wrote earlier, I’be read a bunch of posts on Indy gear but as I’m putting together a costume for the first time - what would be your picks for the costume?
Also, any tips on weathering would be appreciated!
I’ll be posting my build here step by step.
Will be gathering the items before weathering / distressing. All the while having a fitness journey to look a bit more heroic (and which I won’t be documenting due embarrassment, but you’ll see the results).
Thanks a bunch in advance!

-J

Somebody somewhere a while back made this Indy costume spreadsheet. It might help a bi.View attachment 1666924
Thank you good sir! Haven’t seen this one!
I’ll be sure to put it to good use.

EDIT:
Ah, and actually forgot that I got a Denix Webley Mk. IV as the gun - a bit of both worlds as it is a .38 like the Colt Police in ToD. I’ll add a pic once I get around to it. Might get a S&W later. Won’t be taking many pictures gun or no gun anyway since costuming isn’t really a thing here in Finland. If I go outside in full costume I’ll probably get pulled over by the cops and taken to the ER for a psych evaluation. Would love to go to the screening of Dial of Destiny in costume though.

-J

Last edited:
For a fedora, I would also recommend Screencapped Hats. He’s got a bit of a backlog, so if you want your hat by Halloween, but start looking now… He also used to offer gun belts and shoulder straps, but not sure if he still does. Might be worth asking?

Wested will do just fine for boots, shirt, and trousers.

For the Raiders jacket, I suggest the Wested Hero in lambskin. Steele and Jones also does some amazingly accurate Raiders jackets that are weathered to match specific scenes, so the idol grab, truck chase, etc.

Hope that helps!

Sean

The thing about Indy you'll probably find is that you'll end up getting one kit, and buying several versions of each item over time. That's if you get the bug anyways!

Here is my Raiders gear.

Current set up:

-Hat : self made. Rabbit felt with hazelnut sweatband. No liner like the Raiders hats
-Jacket : Wested Legacy Raiders. Second hand. I am hoping to get one with longer sleeves.
-Shirt : Karolian Dry Goods Cairo shirt
-Bag Strap : self made in latigo
-Bag : WPG replica
-Web Belt : self made. Brass hardware and cotton woven webbing
-Pistol Belt : self made. Full grain latigo
-Trousers : Karolian Dry Goods Desert Grey (these are a preorder and not shipping quite yet)
-Socks : cheapy dark brown socks from a discount store
-Boots : Wested's first version
-Gloves : Karolian Dry Good Driver Gloves
-Whip : 10ft cowhide Equinelibrium

Now granted I am biased because I made a lot of this, or it's part of my Surplus line.

But I have also own several other makers shirts, have had WPGs lightweight wool trousers, and had a Magnoli White Label jacket, and Penman Everyman Raiders hat with the turn.

Attachments

• 0B9F8711-D744-4755-8E94-185E8AE9E934.jpeg
    0B9F8711-D744-4755-8E94-185E8AE9E934.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 7875D0D4-805D-460F-91B5-712DAE5D7602.jpeg
    7875D0D4-805D-460F-91B5-712DAE5D7602.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 134
  • EF00D24A-E974-49E6-BAC5-7D64AB8C58D2.jpeg
    EF00D24A-E974-49E6-BAC5-7D64AB8C58D2.jpeg
    836.2 KB · Views: 132
Egon:
I’m sure I will keep tinkering with different Indy gear in the future as well - even though in my country it makes me a bit of a weirdo.
And wow! You have a great looking set up there! Wish I could do some of my gear by myself but at least I’ll be weathering them myself!

Indy:
Totally overlooked the fact that you’re offering Indy gear too! Knew that you have offered pants, boots and shirts too in the past. With an unlimited budget I’d totally invest in all things Magnoli since your name is pretty much synonymous with quality. However I’m considering your jacket as well as definitely a tan whip in the future. Pretty sure I’ll be ordering somethings from you just to support (would have loved a grail diary from you, but was just a kid back then so didn’t have the funds to purchase one)!

Thanks for the answers! I’ll keep on updating once I get my orders in.

-J

So a little update...
Went ahead with ordering a Herbert Johnson Raiders Poet with the turn included. Turnaround time is long as expected... 14-16weeks.
Shirt and pants from WPG.
From Magnoli I ordered the gunbelt with holster, the MKVII bag (not vintage though) and an 8ft whip (not the deluxe one) with brown web belt.
Will be updating on how they all come together later.
Still have to order the leather jacket plus shoes to complete the look later on.

Have a nice day RPF! :)

-J

62E0AAF2-8877-47DB-B79A-0E518A54C132.jpeg

Just got my WPG shirt and trousers. The 36inch trousers fit me spot on (usually wear a 34inch waist). The shirt however suffers from the same problems I usually have - as in long limbs but narrow shoulders so it’s usually a choice between baggy with correct sleeve length or fitted but short sleeves. Decided to go baggy here and will be taking it to a tailor for adjustment later on. Will also be going to the gym.
And yes, Magnolia offers a made-to-measure shirt but didn’t want to wait for the turnover. Curious about the Wested pants / shirt fit though. Just ordered the boots and gloves and a bit bummed that I didn’t just buy those too tbh.. wife would’ve killed me though.

-J

Always negotiate your purchases with the wife with the understanding that it makes you a stable, well adjusted, over 25 without the need for the Ferrari, the mistress nor the counselor (in most instances but it is, at least, cheaper). If someone challenges you, let them know that it is a personal level of the performing arts without the guild fees.

10AE327C-16E8-440F-9CC9-3B6804F9DC9E.jpeg

BDB5044C-4095-463D-B978-0E4FE8C49454.jpeg

So I’ve managed to gather most things!
Piece de resistance is missing obviously and should be arriving in June from HJ.
The Wested shoes are great shoes, love my Legacy Raiders Hero. Wested gloves are obviously unstained and clean straight out of the box. Love the bag from Magnoli as well as the holster which is beautiful and takes the TW SW M1917 HE2 nicely (Yes, got one of those too). The gun belt I took a size too small I’m afraid. The standard 8ft whip is great, will be weathering it a bit too. Obviously as I am a big guy the web belt is too small as well, squeezed it in there for the pic though. Minor fixes. Will be getting a Karolian Dry Goods Cairo as a 2nd shirt.
Would love a custom pant + shirt set from Magnoli but didn’t want to wait for them. :)
Maybe some day!

Any suggestions on the weathering? I’m especially scared of touching the leather jacket with a scour sponge… Probably not going for the truck chase but rather an overall not-scene-specific look.

EDIT: The gun belt fiasco is my own fault as I did the order pretty late after a tiresome day and just took the measurement to where the belt should sit. …but didn’t factor in the few inches extra for the looser fit. Whoops.

EDIT 2: Apparently in conjunction with the famous Ford finger, I’m making my best Clint Eastwood face. :’D

-J

Last edited:
1BAD88D5-335D-4092-BE9A-090F56E7ABF5.jpeg

IMG_9032.jpeg

IMG_9039.jpeg

So as an update I’ve finally managed to gather the outfit. Still need to weather it though. Not going to go full truck chase but just to give the costume a bit more life. The shoes I’ve actually weathered a bit by hand and all else is natural, not much of it yet though. Same with the jacket (Wested Leather Legacy Raiders) - ran into a weird thing with that one though. You know how usually people’s Indy jackets have that nice warm light brown deep through when weathering? This one gives more of a greyish kind of hue? Any advice and pics of screen used jackets for reference? The weathering I did was pulled back from the shoes / jacket by the leather grease I put on which naturally darkens the weather. Aim to have the weathering so that some of it looks newer and some of it older, just to give it that age.
Did take the shoes to a sauna / shower as well and did the shower treatment for the jacket as well (still drying but the wrinkles pop now more).

The shirts I was planning on staining with a bit of tea to give impression of sweat but not that familiar with the method and scared.
The Herbert-Johnson is great - just wish it came in June and not in August…
Shout out to Adam for putting up with me as my Etsy tried to (and actually still does) move my address to Estonia for some reason and randomly. Etsy help cannot find the problem and neither can I as it is totally random.
The whip is coiled super tight because it was used by my son before I got him a 4ft one, still getting him a Todd’s whip holder to keep it in place better (adjusting it in the pic above).
The bag strap was showered and put in the crinkle effect by folding it in-on-itself. Did the same for the Magnoli one that is slightly lighter in tone and my son preferred that so it’ll be the strap for his half-sized bag.
Overall a bit scared to over-do the weathering, as it is now however, it doesn’t really pop in the pics at all.

-J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back