New costume suggestions required please

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Nobby, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

Hi all,

Being the short-* that I am, I'm getting a little tired of all the "aren't you a little short....." comments.

So I've been wanting to do a costume that could make me taller. Maybe utilizing stilts (or similar) or high-lift boots.

Does anyone have any suggestions (sensible and not needing a second mortgage!)???

cheers guys and gals

2. dougp

dougp New Member

Why not just do a short costume? Dark Helmet is a great one ...

3. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

been doing short ones for years!

Now it's time for some height :cool

4. mothmonty

mothmonty Well-Known Member

buddy of mine built a Chewbacca from scratch (rug hooked the whole thing) with stilts and head for around $900. I'm 6'2 in my predator he's almost eight feet in his Chewy I believe
    [​IMG]

5. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

wow, that's brilliant. great price too!!
    did he happen to do a tutorial anywhere?

6. LadyJoker

LadyJoker New Member

Oooh, you should do one of the Knights of Ni from Monty Python and the Holy Grail! I've seen them done before, but never really well, and its about time one got made!

Nobby likes this.
  7. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

now that's not a bad idea at all!
    :love

8. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

haha, starting to build a sayan outfit, vegeta is pretty short ;) you could team up with me ;)

9. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

forgive my ignorance EoS, but.................... who??????????? :eek

10. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

this guy
    [​IMG]

he's supposedly 1,75 :)

11. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

lol, that's still taller than me! :(

And I have neither the muscles or the hair I'm afraid :)

12. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

looking into the Knight of Ni costume, Doesn't look to difficult.

any other suggestions in the meantime?
    :)

13. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

Any advance on a Knight of Ni?

14. Eveningarwen

Eveningarwen Well-Known Member

well not knowing what you look like or what you're really into you could always do costumes like Ziggy Stardust or Elton John. They have some awesome outfits, are always recognizable and always wear platforms and heels and the like. Now obviously if you're not into those two performers or if you're only looking for actual movie/tv costumes then those wont do.....but......if you ever just want something fun to wear to a party or fast to make then you may want to consider something like that. It could be because I'm on a David Bowie kick at the moment as well lol.

Nobby likes this.
  15. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

Great ideas there, Arwen.
    Out of the two, I'd probably go for Bowie (being a child of the 70's), but I'd really like to go for something more sci-fi/fantasy :)

16. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

One of my friends does Darth Revan, with all the robes you don't notice the lifts and hes about 6' in it. And there are pep files available.

17. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

yeah, true
    think I'm gonna go more with the 'builder's stilts' idea. Being only 5'6", I think I need a little more than just shoe inserts or 'wedge heels/soles'

18. Eveningarwen

Eveningarwen Well-Known Member

My fiance is 5'6" so we're always coming up with costumes that work with his height. Personally unless you're going as something like Chewie I think stilts always look a bit off unless the character really has that gangly look about them. One of the characters that I'm thinking of trying to make for him that would involve stilts is Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas. I try to pick actors who, while still usually taller then him, aren't that much taller. For example Johnny Depp....I'm always doing Depp costumes because he fits them so well and his height I think works better then those who are loads taller. I know some people get all bent out of shape when a persons height doesn't match the actual character but I feel if the character has the option of not necessarily being tall then a good costume can make up for that fact. For example, my fiance would never really be able to "pull off" Thor.....but I think with some slightly heeled boots and an awesome costume he could totally pull of Loki. I know Loki is tall but I feel like he doesn't have to be tall to be convincing.

Although if you're looking for more "stilt" characters and you like SciFi try Star Trek Next Gen.....there's some pretty crazy aliens in there that could probably work with stilts.

19. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

yeah, there's certainly loads of 'smaller stature' costumes that work well.
    I'll look into those ST chracters

20. LadyJoker

LadyJoker New Member

Not to go against the Knight of Ni suggestion, but I thought of another one that would be a lot harder - El Fauno from Pan's Labrynth. Definitely tall, and definitely cool.

21. LadyJoker

LadyJoker New Member

[​IMG]

Here's a pretty good picture I found of the faun, although the next one gives a better idea of the height. He'd be even taller standing up straight.

[​IMG]

22. Ginjirou17

Ginjirou17 New Member

Dude you said you are small right?? Well don't you just go BERSERK when they say that??

Well how about A BERSERK ARMOR!!

here are the links for the pictures of it!
    if i had this talent i would make it myself!

picture 1
    picture 2
    picture 3
    picture 4
    picture5
    picture 6
    picture 7

The ability of the armor is that when you break a bone the armor pierces the bone to keep it in place. SO maybe you can add some blood that is coming out of the armor.

The weapon that is being used is a giant 2 handed sword.

It is from the anime "berserk" if you type in berserk armor in google you will find enough references

23. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

oh cool
    looks like he'd need some of those sports-type springy stilts

24. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

Dr Frank-N-Furter from Rocky Horror Picture Show wears heels.
    [​IMG]

25. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

I wish I had the figure to pull it off :D

26. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

Well then, Jareth from Labyrinth is the obvious choice.

27. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Vegeta!

28. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

5'6" isn't short dammit...is it?

29. Ginjirou17

Ginjirou17 New Member

Hey man why don't you make the berserk armor??

here a pic

that would look really badass

It comes up like a hoody

like this maybe it can help with the design.

30. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

Would definitely be good to do, but he's naturally tall and slender and I'm, well.......... not :)

Anyone got any more ideas for utilizing the builder's stilts?

31. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

I think one of the guys that built a Wampa is around your height.

32. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

Another good idea.
    Do you happen to remember who it was that did it? Don't worry if not. I'll just do a search.
    Thanks for your suggestion
    :D

33. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

bump for fresh ideas :D

34. DesertKnight

DesertKnight New Member

You could do the Death character from Monty Pythons: The Meaning of Life. Long flowy robe/cloak would easily conceal the stilts I imagine.

35. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

ah yes...........

"The Salmon Mousse.................................." :lol

simple yet effective. and I like the idea of the skeletal hand

thanks buddy
    :D

36. Shendorion

Shendorion Well-Known Member

Since we're on the subject of Death in British satire, Discworld's Death might be another good character for a short person on stilts. The robes are big and voluminous, the limbs need to be long, and the character has enough distinguishing features from other Deaths that it's instantly recognizable to anyone who's seen the movies as Discworld's Death. It would also give you an excuse to tag all the bases in terms of costuming - prosthesis, sculpture, textile art, casting and electronics.

Nobby likes this.
  37. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

great suggestion

thanks, Shendorion :D

38. LadyMegatron

LadyMegatron Active Member

Okay...for one, 5'6" ain't short dangit. I'm 5'5"! :p

Secondly, let me show you something one of my best buds did two years ago with builder's stilts....

Check this out. Now THIS is how to rock the height!

King Starscream...all hail the King!

[​IMG]

He's 15 feet tall in this, the legs are the stilts, and my friend's head is actually in the cockpit area where it's two way mirror so he can see out, and people can't see in. That's me standing in front of him, and I'm in 5 inch riser heels in mine that make me 6 feet, so it shows you how tall he is.

39. Looch

Looch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How about one of the gargoyles from the "Gargoyles" cartoon? There are a few to choose from, and they all have the kind of feet like the fawn from Pan's Labyrinth, so it's a really good candidate for those kind of "animal feet" stilts. I've wanted to do Goliath for years!

40. LadyMegatron

LadyMegatron Active Member

Oooo...Goliath would be awesome and something rare too. I've never seen one done.

41. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

I'm not familiar with that one.
    Not sure if we've seen it in the UK :cool

42. aeryn

aeryn Active Member

i have intentions of doing the Pinball Wizard for halloween next year - i'll be upping my height about 6 inches (so it's still a reasonable costume). I have yet to figure out the logistics of the stilts. :p

[​IMG]

Nobby likes this.
  43. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

And the boots! :D

44. Looch

Looch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sorry that you didn't get it across the pond! It was a great cartoon. Voices of Keith David, Johnathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, Marshall's dad from How I Met Your Mother-and the girl who played the latina cop actually looks exactly like her(check out Lowdown Dirty Shame to see)! Anyway, here is a pic of some of the cast all together-it might be a good idea for you:)

45. silentknight229

silentknight229 Member

If you're really short you could consider Master Blaster from Mad Max. You'll just need to try to find a tall assistant for that one.

Seriously though you could look at doing Iron Monger. Chimmera30 did a pretty cool build.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/iron-monger-rubbermaid-style-now-new-pics-oct-25th-107966/

You could take that and do maybe Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man as alternatives. Can't remember seeing anyone tackle either of them. Your size could even have an advantage in say something like a Dalek .

Steve

46. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

yeah, have seriously thought about that one in the past as we have a master builder here in the UK :)
    It's just a little pricey :(

47. fleefromme

fleefromme Active Member

opitmus prime! if you look at him he'd be perfect for stilts. i did a cardboard build of the toarso and hes really not that hard to make, aside from the helmet.

48. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

Just to clear things up, it needs to be a costume of a standard good enough to troop with the Reel Icons section of the 501st UKG :D

49. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What about an awesome Frodo costume ?

50. fleefromme

fleefromme Active Member

oooooh. ok.... yea i got nothing =/