New BMF coming

Ok, a quick update: It hasn't quite been 24 hours yet, but here's where she stands. I sprayed this spot with two coats of Satin White Krylon Fusion with no prep....no cleaning, just sprayed it on as it came out of the box. At 3 hours I was able to produce the chip seen in the picture with my fingernail with some effort. Ten minutes ago, I tried to do it again, but the paint would just scuff, not chip. I then did the tape test using both 3M Scotch-Blue painter's tape and Tamiya masking tape, including applying it directly over the chip and it passed with flying colors.

Now, I know that others haven't had success with this paint....I'm just reporting the results that I have had: Use at your own risk. The next step will be to spray a coat of Tamiya Gray Surface Primer over the fusion, let it dry, and repeat the above tests. Results to follow.....

Robert

Has anyone else noticed that there is a missing piece of hull plating where EVERY sticker goes? Looks like I need to buy some really thin styrene to replace these panels and some nibblers to notch them. Also, look at all the notches along the edge of this beast that need to be carved out! Fun times ahead!

Robert

- - - Updated - - -

All my local Argos`s are showing this now, whereas before they were all out of stock, so maybe more are coming in..

Yeah, and it's STILL in stock online at Wal-Mart. This is a good thing:)

Robert

I'm wondering if it makes a difference that you used satin finish. I used matte and wonder if that sticks to the tape more. I tested strait from the can and also with a cleaning and light sanding. While the second adhered better, it still did not work as well as the automobile products talked about before.

Has anyone else noticed that there is a missing piece of hull plating where EVERY sticker goes? Looks like I need to buy some really thin styrene to replace these panels and some nibblers to notch them. Also, look at all the notches along the edge of this beast that need to be carved out! Fun times ahead!

Robert

- - - Updated - - -
Robert
Definately noticed the missing panels. I was planning on doing the same thing with thin styrene.

I'm wondering if it makes a difference that you used satin finish.

I was thinking the same thing. Also, I didn't bother sanding....with all the surface detail, I thought it would be a nightmare. Could that have made a difference? A lot of specifics to nail down with this PE, that's for sure.

Robert

Ok,just reserved one at Argos here in the UK for £29.99.

This is going to be my biggest job yet build yet, and im going to go all out on it. Lights, base-the works. I want to see what i can do with a piece of £30 plastic :)

I've had a lot of success with the Montana Gold line of spray paints....I think they're acrylic based? But I haven't yet found a material they won't stick to. I've been looking through the colour chart and I think the following colours might be a suitable base colour:

- G7000 Pebble
-G8000 Elm
-S 9110 Shock White Cream

They all dry with a satin finish and are easy to wetsand. Tamiya paints through an airbrush onto Montana Gold paints work beautifully, could be a winning combo....

Can someone post some pics of the missing (sticker) panels?

With Stickers
newhasbro_zpsa90d0f8d.jpg

Missing Panels without the stickers:
Missing_zps84c13f38.jpg

Missing2_zps315e1699.jpg

J

I was going to cut down the radar dish to a more reasonable size,
I was thinking 62-63 mm, does that sound about right

falconweb.jpg
Also here are some of the missing panels :)

Keep in mind that on the 32-inch Studio model Falcon there actually are some missing armor panels on the cockpit and cockpit tube. They are represented on this Falcon.

While waiting for my test paint to dry, I decided to tackle the cockpit windows. This was fun. NOT!

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/bigvade/IMG_0647_zps30ea5458.jpg

Robert

What did you use to cut the windows away? I'm planning on using a sharp scalpel and a scriber to slowly work through the plastic instead of a dremel, which might kick up those melted balls of plastic.....but if a dremel works fine then I suppose i'll do that. You seem to have got a very clean finish!

What did you use to cut the windows away? I'm planning on using a sharp scalpel and a scriber to slowly work through the plastic instead of a dremel, which might kick up those melted balls of plastic.....but if a dremel works fine then I suppose i'll do that. You seem to have got a very clean finish!

I used a heat gun to warm up the area before I used a hobby knife and it worked fine.

I used a drill bit in my Dremel to remove the center of each window almost to the edge, then finished with an Exacto knife.

Kokkari, although there missing panels on some areas of the filming miniature, There aren't near as many as appear on this toy. They definitely left some panels off for sticker placement. I still think it's awesome, though:)

Robert

Ok, so after a several days of visiting Wally-World, and not seeing it there... i just happened to see a guy stocking toys at the "toys section" and asked him when they will be getting them in... and he said that they have them in the Lawn & Garden area! Yep, Wally-World had two of them.....now they just have one, also. :D
HMF.jpg

The Ardmore Wally-World had two of them.....now they just have one;)

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/bigvade/IMG_9549_zps61a6f504.jpg

Robert

Kokkari, although there missing panels on some areas of the filming miniature, There aren't near as many as appear on this toy. They definitely left some panels off for sticker placement. I still think it's awesome, though
smile.png

Robert

Oh no doubt bro! As I said in my post I think the only ones I can think that are missing on the 32" Studio Model are on the tube area leading to the cockpit and on the lower side/bottom of the cockpit itself.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back