New Batsuit Project WIP (Pic Heavy)

SMP Designs

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all!
I've got a new project going on and it's not a Captain America (but it's similar)! :)

This one is for a client who wanted a version of a Batman suit based on some of the recent versions out there and built in a similar fashion to the last Captain America projects he had seen posted here. For reference, we focused primarily on the Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight suits.

arkham-knight.jpg
batman_arkham_origins-683x1024.jpg

Using these images as primary reference, I was able to work up a rendering for the base pieces.

batsuit-render-1024x768.jpg

The general idea is to have 3 pieces. Following the Captain America design, these pieces will all fit together to create the entire suit while allowing a great deal of freedom of motion and maneuverability.

The primary fabrics for this project will be Cordura, jumbo spandex and 1/4" headliner foam.

fabric-1.jpg

With the general design decided, it's time to work on the pattern. A sloper (basic pattern that fits the measurements and shape of the design) was used to create a blank torso. The specific pieces are then sketched out on the blank to determine the seam lines and create the pattern.

torso-1.jpg
torso-2.jpg

These pieces will be cut apart to create the patterns for both the chest/arm piece and the torso. That step comes next as well as completing the sleeve pattern. More to come...

Last edited by a moderator:
i've always envisioned the Young Justice Batman batsuit to look like this style, if it were ever made in real life. Really excited to see the outcome of this!

Hey guys! Here's an update on the suit.

The sketched out mock up is cut apart and the pieces are transferred to paper to create the cutting pattern.

pattern.jpg

Most of the non-stretch pieces are going to be lined with 6mm fabric-backed foam frequently referred to as headliner (because it's used to cover the ceilings of cars). Some of the pieces will have layers of foam to create sculptural effects.

The abs, for instance, were cut as an entire piece of headliner and then each individual section was cut and spray mounted onto the base.

bat-abs-1.jpg

Next a piece of Cordura was cut and spray mounted to the front to tack it into place and show the levels of the foam.

bat-abs-2.jpg

The entire piece was basted around the outside at the seam allowance and the details top stitched around each segment. The excess Cordura is cut away and the foam is trimmed away from the seam allowance and we have an ab section with the needed levels of definition.

bat-abs-3.jpg

For anyone who's not familiar with doing this, here's a few tips on working with headliner foam and angular patterns. First, I find it best to cut the piece from the foam and cut the fabric larger. On the fabric-backed side of the foam, mark dots at all the corners on the stitching line. The key here is, when you baste the foam to the fabric, you want the basting line to be right on the final stitching line. Marking the corners makes it easy to be very precise.

Baste the foam to the fabric with the fabric toward the bobbin and follow your markings all the way around.

stitching-1.jpg

Once basted down, trim the excess fabric to the size of the piece and then (carefully!) trim the foam away from the seam allowance. This will keep the seams from being overly bulky with all that extra foam.

stitching-2.jpg
stitching-3.jpg

For inside angles, go ahead and clip to the point where the stitching will turn the corner. Here's where having all those markings starts to come in really handy.

stitching-4.jpg
stitching-5.jpg

It's generally easiest to stitch angles like this with the inside angle (the clipped one) on top. Match up the dots, stitch to the point and put the needle down right through the dot. Lift the presser foot and rotate the fabrics so that you line up the next part of the seam and stitch it down the rest of the way. All the while, you should be careful to line up the basting stitches and sew ring on top of them. This is where being accurate with the basting is essential. When you turn it out, you'll have nice crisp angled seams.

stitching-6.jpg

Here are all of the Cordura pieces for the torso assembled and laid out. The shoulders, chest, abs and ribs are all foam lined. The sides are just lined with heavy cotton.

stitching-7.jpg
stitching-8.jpg

I also decided to make a test version of the symbol to check proportion and the technique I'm considering using. It's bevel cut from 2mm eva foam and Plasti-Dipped.

bat-symbol-1.jpg

Here's how everything looks so far all together.

bat-symbol-2.jpg
torso-3.jpg

It's coming along, but there are few things I want to revisit before assembling all the stretch areas. The chest needs some more pattern work. I want to move the seams a bit farther out to the sides, alter the shape of the bottom a bit and change the construction process a little to make the seams more streamlined and less "puffy". The abs also need a little adjustment. They are slightly too narrow and I want to revisit the stitching to make it more even and precise.

Overall, though, I'm quite pleased with how it's coming together. Next up will be the edits to those pieces and the sleeves will get under way. Stay tuned!

ARGH! I'm so damn excited!

This is looking amazing! The colour and texture of the fabric is absolutely perfect, and I love the look of the bat symbol too!

I can't wait to see more progress, I'm especially excited to see the charcoal spandex added to see the two colours mix :D

You are very quickly becoming my hero Sean, amazing work!

ARGH! I'm so damn excited!

This is looking amazing! The colour and texture of the fabric is absolutely perfect, and I love the look of the bat symbol too!

I can't wait to see more progress, I'm especially excited to see the charcoal spandex added to see the two colours mix :D

You are very quickly becoming my hero Sean, amazing work!

Thanks man! I'm glad you're liking it so far. :D

Very cool so far. Cannot wait to see more.

Wow cool !

Need to see more :)

I wanted to do this for my Robin at first but didn't know how to. I think I'll follow your steps ^^

Thanks guys! More is coming soon including the chest and abs revamps.

Hey, thanks guys for the comments. I have to apologize - for some reason (even though I'm set to instant email) im not getting all my notifications until I log in. So, sorry, if I seem unresponsive.

Dremel - on the symbol, we're still discussing how that's going to work out. The one in the pics is just a test version, so it may end up being very different.

I just started sewing last year and I have to say, Thank You! The step by step breakdowns you have put up on your various threads are really helpful. It makes it very easy to follow and understand what you are doing. The standard sewing guides and tips are not nearly as helpful as one of yours! Way to go!

P.S. The Batsuit looks like it is going to rock!

I just started sewing last year and I have to say, Thank You! The step by step breakdowns you have put up on your various threads are really helpful. It makes it very easy to follow and understand what you are doing. The standard sewing guides and tips are not nearly as helpful as one of yours! Way to go!

P.S. The Batsuit looks like it is going to rock!

Thanks for that and you're welcome! I think that's really why we're all here - to share knowledge and experience, so I'm happy I can help lend some tips and tricks. Honestly, I'd do more step-by-steps but I get in the zone and I forget to stop and take pics or video. ;)

Hello all!

I got the revamps done on the torso pieces and started getting all of them connected with the dark stretch. Here's the rundown on the new stuff:

Revisiting the chest, I adjusted the seams so that they are slightly wider on the piece. I also made the shell and the pad separate. Then, the two were basted together and the seams are crisper and less obtrusive. I also decided to revamp the shoulders in a similar fashion and give them the same angled seam treatment. These angles are becoming a running theme in the piece and will work to pull it all together into a cohesive whole.

chest-2.jpg

Next, I moved on to the abs. I adjusted the pattern to make them wider. I also decided that, rather than trying to stitch around each individual segment, I'd pull in more of the seam detail and then let the pad just do its work underneath without forcing it.

bat-abs-4.jpg

The dark grey stretch areas began going in at this time as well. Here's a picture of the abs, the front stretch panel and one rib/side section complete.

bat-abs-5.jpg

Here are the same pieces with the chest and shoulder laid out on top.

chest-1.jpg

And all of the pieces so far on the form.

torso-4.jpg
torso-5.jpg

The next steps are to finish the torso and get the sleeves drafted for the upper section. Stay tuned!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back