New 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote

Damn, these are back to "Coming Soon October" on ThinkGeek :(

We sent some new stock to ThinkGeek last week and another shipment for them is leaving our Chicago warehouse today, so they should be showing as in-stock again very soon.

Ugh. I ordered mine from the BBC store Canada as soon as they opened sales. Then they immediately went to back-order and I've not received any reply or notice of when they expect them. I avoided think geek because their shipping to Canada is horrid and you get dinged extra for duty when it shows up.

The US BBC Shop took down the product page too.

The website for both BBC Canada Shop and BBC America Shop seems to have changed recently, but it's now showing as "in stock" on both sites:

Tenth Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote at BBC Canada Shop
Tenth Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote at BBC America Shop

Cheers,

Richard

I had to use the blade of an exacto knife to pry the top collar off, but the plastic body did get a wee bit nicked up. Ill post details in another thread when my little project is finished.

I guess most of you have already seen the new trailer for the 50th anniversary episode, in which it seems that David Tennant didn't use his own original sonic screwdriver prop but was given an MFX replica to use instead:

The Day of the Doctor: The Second TV Trailer - Doctor Who 50th Anniversary - BBC One - YouTube

That's obviously a bit disappointing for us, as quite a few of our customers will use the (high-def) footage of this episode as their reference for what the Tennant prop "should" look like, and won't remember what it actually looked like back in Tennant's era. However, I'm a little relieved that he wasn't asked to use a CO toy - then we would have had some serious complaints from the less discerning customers about our product being undersized and over-priced!

Don't worry about it. The vast majority of people won't know the difference, and anyone that has an interest in the props will know what they are looking at. Only a handful of people will think the MFX is a definitive replica of the Tennant series prop, and there are literally only about six people that still think it is.

I guess most of you have already seen the new trailer for the 50th anniversary episode, in which it seems that David Tennant didn't use his own original sonic screwdriver prop but was given an MFX replica to use instead:

The Day of the Doctor: The Second TV Trailer - Doctor Who 50th Anniversary - BBC One - YouTube

That's obviously a bit disappointing for us, as quite a few of our customers will use the (high-def) footage of this episode as their reference for what the Tennant prop "should" look like, and won't remember what it actually looked like back in Tennant's era. However, I'm a little relieved that he wasn't asked to use a CO toy - then we would have had some serious complaints from the less discerning customers about our product being undersized and over-priced!

Yeah, they kinda threw you guys under the bus there, hopefully thought we can all be intelligent enough to know what's what in regards to the "true" prop.

I do not think you need to worry. There is a big enough market for all things sonic. Just throw some high res pictures of Tennant and his sonic frmm a few episodes showing it being the one yours is based off of and you will be fine.

I do not think you need to worry. There is a big enough market for all things sonic. Just throw some high res pictures of Tennant and his sonic frmm a few episodes showing it being the one yours is based off of and you will be fine.

Sad fact is though, there are not many in a good enough resolution, if any. Most decent pics are of Tennant with an Aztec.

Don't worry about it. The vast majority of people won't know the difference, and anyone that has an interest in the props will know what they are looking at.

Yeah, they kinda threw you guys under the bus there, hopefully thought we can all be intelligent enough to know what's what in regards to the "true" prop.

I do not think you need to worry. There is a big enough market for all things sonic.

Thanks for all the support, guys. We're not too worried about it - as Asp9mm said, most of our customers probably won't notice the difference anyway, and we can easily explain the situation if anyone does complain to us.

As an Ignorant non fan of the series, I do know they had like 12 Doctors so far, did each doctor get his own sonic screwdriver? lol

As per the title 10th Doctor Who sonic Screw driver. Guess it would make sense most doctors of the m.d variety carry their own tools.

The one you guys used shows up in "The Lazarus Experiment", "Utopia" or the "Sound of Drums", and I am pretty sure in "Planet of the dead". It pops up all over the place. Plus the match of the damage on the emitter head to the screen cap, there should be no problem showing the pedigree of the source prop and the awesome job you did replicating it.

The one you guys used shows up in "The Lazarus Experiment", "Utopia" or the "Sound of Drums", and I am pretty sure in "Planet of the dead". It pops up all over the place. Plus the match of the damage on the emitter head to the screen cap, there should be no problem showing the pedigree of the source prop.

Thanks Phez. Yeah, it'll be fine.

I'm more than a little disappointed in the lack of a real prop. It will be the first time this screwdriver has appeared in HD and maybe they thought the original prop would look to 'rough'?
Do we know for sure it's an MFX?
I know it certainly looks like one, but I can't believe the props dept. would just pull it off the shelf and say "this will do". Surely someone there would have recognised that it didn't look like the original prop?

I'm more than a little disappointed in the lack of a real prop. It will be the first time this screwdriver has appeared in HD and maybe they thought the original prop would look to 'rough'?
Do we know for sure it's an MFX?
I know it certainly looks like one, but I can't believe the props dept. would just pull it off the shelf and say "this will do". Surely someone there would have recognised that it didn't look like the original prop?
I've got to say, I think the BBC are somewhat notorious in their attempts to prevent people from obtaining a screen-accurate prop, we were all happy when we saw MFX prototypes, but then we got completely different end products. Now, we were supposed to get SA props from TWC which we did, but not ones supposedly accurate to the Christmas special. ;( To be honest, this is somewhat of an obvious pattern.

I've got to say, I think the BBC are somewhat notorious in their attempts to prevent people from obtaining a screen-accurate prop, we were all happy when we saw MFX prototypes, but then we got completely different end products. Now, we were supposed to get SA props from TWC which we did, but not ones supposedly accurate to the Christmas special. ;( To be honest, this is somewhat of an obvious pattern.
Do you mean the 50th special? Or do you know something I don't...
Also, perhaps this is for another thread, but is it just me or does Tennant's Tardis also look a little...off? I think it's too flat on the inside. The platform from the door to the console is both level, and goes right to the raised circular section of the floor, neither of which it used to. And I am confident that John Hurt's Tardis is the same set, with some redecorating. Also, Tennant's console is too blue.

Doctor_in_the_tardis_by_kleeng.jpg

Journeysend.png
Original set.
Picture 1.png
New set. Note the console colour and the platform to the door.
Picture 3.png
It's the same set. Look at the console, the base of the rotor and he floor. Also, the coral columns.

Sorry if this is too irrelevant!

The Tennant control room was stripped down and installed as an exhibit at a BBC...museum...place (drawing a blank on the name, sorry). Apparently what's left of the set is firmly affixed, so they filmed in the exhibit and just shot around all the museum stuff. Hence why it doesn't look as good.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back