New 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote

I have a question about peoples experience with the looseness or tightness of their sonics retractable piece inside the main body. I know it was said that how tight or loose it is will vary slightly from sonic to sonic. But how loose or tight have most of yours been? Are any of yours loose enough that when holding the sonic upright (vertically), extending it without clicking it into the fully extended position (which would hold it in place), and then letting go of the slider/button, it just slides back down to being retracted on its own? Is this the way it should be or does this seem too loose? Are many other people heres sonics tighter than that?

Are any of yours loose enough that when holding the sonic upright (vertically), extending it without clicking it into the fully extended position (which would hold it in place), and then letting go of the slider/button, it just slides back down to being retracted on its own? Is this the way it should be or does this seem too loose? Are many other people heres sonics tighter than that?
Unless you "click it into" the fully extended position, there is nothing to hold it up. So this should happen on almost all sonics. My sonic which came on the tighter end of the spectrum does this. If you want it vertical and extended, push it all the way up until it clicks into position. Otherwise, let it be retracted when vertical.

...then if you're holding it, just use your thumb to keep it at ANY level of extension you want, just like they had to do with the filming prop.

-Nick

The sliding action on mine is great. I really feel like I have full control over the button and slider when extending/retracting it. If it was tight enough to stay extended at all 'depths' then I imagine it would be too tight to slide with ease, as it should. You just have to be careful because, at least with mine, the button will keep pressed if you slide it onto the bump near the end of its extension while depressing it - which could actually be considered a nice feature if you like the idea of having the sonic stay lit/buzzing on its own - but it needs to get over that bump to stay open and have normal button action again. I typically just pull it out the rest of the way by the emitter head because I don't like putting too much force on the slider itself to get it past that bump. If I want full extended sonic-ing, I just put it there before I press the button. If I want to look weird about turning off someone else's TV, I slide it out and then back during the process. The more you do with the sonic while using it, the better to convey it as being a functional device!

I really do get a kick out of people catching a glimpse of it and not being sure what they saw. It's also fun to push the head back in with the other hand (as if snapping it back into the fully retracted position) and dropping it into an inside jacket pocket, then walking away. It's almost as if you had a job, you came, you did it, and now you're on break. Now I know how the Doctor feels every time he uses it to save the day :$

Well, there were just no seats in the dining area at the Mexican place today, so my buddy & I ended up in the 'bar' area. Call me a wimp, but there were just too many drunks watching a football game on the TVs for me to show off. :facepalm

...but the TV's in the church's nurseries had a few hick-up this morning.:confused

They probably added that when they were having a 'Buy one, Get One 1/2 off' sale last week.

I'm not going to lie, when I saw that ad, my immediate thought was to buy two, sell both on eBay for face value, and since I already got my sonic for 25% off, end up paying $25, in essence, for my sonic...but then I saw the limitations on the number of sonics I could buy, AND realized I'm really lazy, so I went back to playing with my sonic and didn't think anything else about it. :lol

-Nick

My personal crackle coat modification, hope you guys like it!
personal crackle pattern 1.jpgpersonal crackle pattern 2.jpgpersonal crackle pattern 3.jpgpersonal crackle pattern 4.jpg

I don't understand why everyone wants their sonic to be so dark? Cracked ceramic does not have dark black crack lines in it. Am I the only one who likes the sonic as it is?

I was planning on doing a VERY light wash when I finally darkened mine up, just to give it a tiny bit more definition, but I still like subtlety. So it'll probably only be a shade or two darker...once I finally man up and wash it. :lol

-Nick

Ugh. I ordered mine from the BBC store Canada as soon as they opened sales. Then they immediately went to back-order and I've not received any reply or notice of when they expect them. I avoided think geek because their shipping to Canada is horrid and you get dinged extra for duty when it shows up.

I thought about doing that, but after taking my remote apart, I decided was too lazy. At the very least I won't be replacing that bit until my lathe comes in . There are nubs on clear tube to aid in the locking mechanism and a thin area that goes into the head area. I rather like the locking feature on this remote as its unique to this replica, Hence, for a while at least, I will be keeping the stock tube.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back