Need help with Vader Costume Parts...

Thrawn

Okay so far I have:
DP CA Helmet (modified with all the bells and whistles)
GT Armor
Belt (minus the buckle)
Cape
Inner Robe
Bodysuit
Chestbox

So this leaves me with Gloves, Boots, Buckle, Shin Armor, Cod. My question is: What are the cheapest sources for these items? They do not need to be fully accurate, im looking for just about anything that is a step up from a Rubies Supreme. I thought I had the buckle down, but turns out the guy offering them is a slimy recaster. Anyways, any ideas are much appreciated.

For Gloves try Sitharmor on E-bay, he has some medium and large up for sale, these are ANH version but are very high quality leather, i ordered them from him and they arrived six days later to UK. For belt buckle, pm russrep who is a member on RPF, he makes high quality buckles, i have one of his, good stuff. For Cod, again check E-bay there is usually quite alot of stuff about
good luck :thumbsup

Originally posted by Thrawn@Nov 9 2005, 04:48 AM
Okay so far I have:
DP CA Helmet (modified with all the bells and whistles)
GT Armor
Belt (minus the buckle)
Cape
Inner Robe
Bodysuit
Chestbox

So this leaves me with Gloves, Boots, Buckle, Shin Armor, Cod. My question is: What are the cheapest sources for these items? They do not need to be fully accurate, im looking for just about anything that is a step up from a Rubies Supreme. I thought I had the buckle down, but turns out the guy offering them is a slimy recaster. Anyways, any ideas are much appreciated.
[snapback]1112789[/snapback]​

RussRep offers buckles on eBay for anywhere between $40 and $55. Probably one of the most accurate out there. As DarthKahnt said, tk510 has awesome gloves. I got my boots from Easterncoastcostumes.com. They have cheap costume boots for $37 plus shipping. You can put insert airsoles for addition height and comfort. Some people add soles to the bottoms for additional height if needed, but not everyone likes the "KISS Vader" look. Shin armor you can get on e-bay as well.

Scott

Gloves: As someone else has said, Sitharmor. He also offers ESB/ROTJ gloves.

Boots: Doesn't really matter all that much as long as they aren't sneakers. The robe and shins will cover these up.

Buckle: Go for a Russ Rep, they're easy to get and look great.

Shin armor: GT or GT clones. Cheap and they look awesome.

Cod: This is a hard one, I'd say Dave Pea, but I hear he's not doing them anymore... :unsure Have a search of eBay for that.

Originally posted by vaderman1701@Nov 10 2005, 10:42 PM
RussRep offers buckles on eBay for anywhere between $40 and $55.  Probably one of the most accurate out there.  As DarthKahnt said, tk510 has awesome gloves.  I got my boots from Easterncoastcostumes.com.  They have cheap costume boots for $37 plus shipping.  You can put insert airsoles for addition height and comfort.  Some people add soles to the bottoms for additional height if needed, but not everyone likes the "KISS Vader" look.  Shin armor you can get on e-bay as well.

Scott
[snapback]1114063[/snapback]​

I personally would not recommend East Coast costumes boots. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for and that is definately the case with these boots. I wore them on two occasions for a total of about 5 or 6 hours and the sole split away from the boot. They are very cheap and not at all durable. I would pay the extra $40 and go with caboots.com, although I have heard that they can take a long time to ship.

[/quote]
I would pay the extra $40 and go with caboots.com, although I have heard that they can take a long time to ship.
[snapback]1114132[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I got my Vader boots from CAboots, very nice they are too. I went with them as they are one of the few that provide boots with a zip up the side - makes life much easier when dressing a mannequin.

Shipping wasn't too bad I suppose - 4 weeks to the UK.

Duncan

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out my Vader page:

www.partsandtechnical.com

The angle is a little off in this picture, but gives a good idea of an ESB belt.

mbelt1.JPG

Some parts to a belt are going out this week actually. The B/W photocopy is a picture, albeit rather grainy, but from an original ESB box to show size, proportion, accuracy of parts. I have to make another copy of that photo as its a bit dog earred, not a great example here......but you get the idea ;) :

I am actually uploading some new pics this week.

D

Russrep buckle - can't go wrong there. The TK510 gloves are very nice - you might want to mod the gloves a bit though; they flare out a bit more than necessary, IMO. I got me the GT-style shins from TK510 as well.

As for boots, I went with Soviet officers' boots found on eBay. They're made out of real leather and are relatively cheap. In order to make my 6' 1" a bit more Vader-esque, I installed 2" shoelifts in the boots. They're essentially foam wedges you place under the heels. Walking in them takes a little practice - lifts make you feel like a rookie stripper until you get the hang of it... with the lifts, I'm somewhere around 6' 6" from heel to dome.

As far as chestboxes go, there doesn't seem to be a cheap alternative - not if you're going to be happy with it anyway. You could consider scratch-building one - Russrep's offering the metal hardware in the JY as we speak - or you could save up to a decent box of your choice.

I would again like to tell everyone NOT to buy from East Coast Costume. Their boots are absolute junk. They fell apart after 6 hours of wearing. When I asked for a refund the most they would do is give me back half of what I paid for the boots, a measley $18. I can't say enough bad things about their boots.

My advice, break down and spend the $$ for a good pair of leather boots.

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Nov 11 2005, 06:12 PM
Check out my Vader page:

www.partsandtechnical.com

The angle is a little off in this picture, but gives a good idea of an ESB belt.

mbelt1.JPG

Some parts to a belt are going out this week actually.  The B/W photocopy is a picture, albeit rather grainy, but from an original ESB box to show size, proportion, accuracy of parts.  I have to make another copy of that photo as its a bit dog earred, not a great example here......but you get the idea  ;) :

I am actually uploading some new pics this week.

D
[snapback]1114611[/snapback]​

Belt turned out nice Drew :thumbsup

Originally posted by Boba Frett@Dec 7 2005, 10:53 PM
Belt turned out nice Drew :thumbsup
[snapback]1131192[/snapback]​

Yes Drew, very nice indeed. PM me with info about that belt please, Im very interested.

Originally posted by DarthKahnt+Nov 10 2005, 11:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthKahnt @ Nov 10 2005, 11:33 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-vaderman1701
@Nov 10 2005, 10:42 PM
RussRep offers buckles on eBay for anywhere between $40 and $55.  Probably one of the most accurate out there.  As DarthKahnt said, tk510 has awesome gloves.  I got my boots from Easterncoastcostumes.com.  They have cheap costume boots for $37 plus shipping.  You can put insert airsoles for addition height and comfort.  Some people add soles to the bottoms for additional height if needed, but not everyone likes the "KISS Vader" look.  Shin armor you can get on e-bay as well.

Scott
[snapback]1114063[/snapback]​

I personally would not recommend East Coast costumes boots. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for and that is definately the case with these boots. I wore them on two occasions for a total of about 5 or 6 hours and the sole split away from the boot. They are very cheap and not at all durable. I would pay the extra $40 and go with caboots.com, although I have heard that they can take a long time to ship.
[snapback]1114132[/snapback]​
[/b]

Sorry you have had a bad deal with them. I heavily modified the soles on mine. It is very similar to what they did with Hayden Christiansen's boots for ROTS. The extra 1" heel and ball lift seems to give it better wear.

I have also heard good things about caboots, so if you don't mind spending a little extra, go for it.

Regards,

Scott

Originally posted by vaderman1701@Dec 9 2005, 01:23 PM
Sorry you have had a bad deal with them.  I heavily modified the soles on mine.  It is very similar to what they did with Hayden Christiansen's boots for ROTS.  The extra 1" heel and ball lift seems to give it better wear. 

I have also heard good things about caboots, so if you don't mind spending a little extra, go for it. 

Regards,

Scott
[snapback]1132331[/snapback]​

Oh well, I tried to save a few bucks and I guess I got what I paid for.

I dint need any lift in mine fortunately, Im 6'6. :p

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back