Need help making a pattern for a Deadpool plushy doll

Deadpool Drake

I have been trying to figure out how to go about making the Deadpool plushy, I haven't seen one that looks quite like the one from the comic. And there was one I saw that kind of looked like it but I think it was knitting... Any help with patterns, or any kind of idea how to go about doing this would be very much appreciated.
Here is an example
18-1.jpg

I have been trying to figure out how to go about making the Deadpool plushy,>>>clip<<< Any help with patterns, or any kind of idea how to go about doing this would be very much appreciated.

I might have some ideas. Do you have any other reference pictures, something that shows the front unobstructed?, a side view?, a back view?

About what size would you want this to be?

Shylaah

I might have some ideas. Do you have any other reference pictures, something that shows the front unobstructed?, a side view?, a back view?

About what size would you want this to be?

Shylaah

Unfortunately I do not think any more pictures of that plushy exist, at least not in the Marvel universe. But I will try to draw something out, and for height I was thinking about 18 inches or so, about a foot and a half. I'm going to attempt to Photoshop is arm out of the way and then figure out the dimensions from their. Do you think you will be able to help me out once I get those photos up?

Well, I can give you my best advice on how I would do it.
Eighteen inches is a goodly size, won't be so cramped and fiddly
sewing and stuffing the body.
Since the doll doesn't appear to be wearing clothes in the
traditional sense, I think making a basic little rag doll would
work.
As far as I can tell, the most difficult part looks like it will be how
to get that "helmet head" shape......

Shylaah

Well, I can give you my best advice on how I would do it.
Eighteen inches is a goodly size, won't be so cramped and fiddly
sewing and stuffing the body.
Since the doll doesn't appear to be wearing clothes in the
traditional sense, I think making a basic little rag doll would
work.
As far as I can tell, the most difficult part looks like it will be how
to get that "helmet head" shape......

Shylaah

Would you know of any patterns online that would have that body shape, and from there I could just work on the head using trial and error :)

Well, believe it or not, I could not find even ONE suitable body pattern online, mainly because most of them are separate parts, with arms and legs being attached. I don't think that would work for this doll because it does not have clothes that will hide the joints. The body is the clothes, or suit, so it's gonna have to be made custom I guess......I'm not good at drawing on the computer......
But here is the basic outline shape, it would be much easier to draw up on paper. This one is way too skinny.......

deadpool-doll-shape.jpg

You will need to make a trial run for shape and size. I would make the pattern headless and the torso and limbs somewhat fat because a lot of material will be taken up when you stuff the body.

I think some kind of knit fabric would work best for this doll, not knit like a sweater, but knit like T-shirt fabric. In fact, you could use a t-shirt, they are plentiful and cheap this time of year, and you should be able to find a pretty red one. And also should have some old one laying around you can make the test run with.....

Draw your pattern off onto a double layer of the fabric. Draw your outline, then add 1/2 inch all the way around for seam allowance.....pin the two layers together scattered around inside the outline so it doesn't slip and slide when you sew it. It would be nice if you have a sewing machine that has a stretch stitch, but if not, use a very short stitch. Stitch all the way around the outline with a straight stitch, then about 1/8 inch into the seam allowance stitch all the way around again. Leave the neck open and be sure to back stitch when starting and ending both times as there will be a lot of strain in that area when you do the stuffing.

For the head, I would use a stuffed circle, carefully shaping it into a ball shape......gonna have to figure something out for that fin shape on the head.....probably can just make a little extra piece and sew or glue it on before doing the eyes.....but let's get the body together first.....

I recommend you use poly fiber fill for the stuffing...and there's a trick to doing the stuffing so that it comes out smooth and not knotty and lumpy.....I'll write that up later....right now, just work on getting a good size and shape body......do a trial run body and stuff it up with loosely with some newspaper or paper towels or tissues, see how like the shape and size........
Does this sound doable?

Shylaah

Well, believe it or not, I could not find even ONE suitable body pattern online, mainly because most of them are separate parts, with arms and legs being attached. I don't think that would work for this doll because it does not have clothes that will hide the joints. The body is the clothes, or suit, so it's gonna have to be made custom I guess......I'm not good at drawing on the computer......
But here is the basic outline shape, it would be much easier to draw up on paper. This one is way too skinny.......

deadpool-doll-shape.jpg

You will need to make a trial run for shape and size. I would make the pattern headless and the torso and limbs somewhat fat because a lot of material will be taken up when you stuff the body.

I think some kind of knit fabric would work best for this doll, not knit like a sweater, but knit like T-shirt fabric. In fact, you could use a t-shirt, they are plentiful and cheap this time of year, and you should be able to find a pretty red one. And also should have some old one laying around you can make the test run with.....

Draw your pattern off onto a double layer of the fabric. Draw your outline, then add 1/2 inch all the way around for seam allowance.....pin the two layers together scattered around inside the outline so it doesn't slip and slide when you sew it. It would be nice if you have a sewing machine that has a stretch stitch, but if not, use a very short stitch. Stitch all the way around the outline with a straight stitch, then about 1/8 inch into the seam allowance stitch all the way around again. Leave the neck open and be sure to back stitch when starting and ending both times as there will be a lot of strain in that area when you do the stuffing.

For the head, I would use a stuffed circle, carefully shaping it into a ball shape......gonna have to figure something out for that fin shape on the head.....probably can just make a little extra piece and sew or glue it on before doing the eyes.....but let's get the body together first.....

I recommend you use poly fiber fill for the stuffing...and there's a trick to doing the stuffing so that it comes out smooth and not knotty and lumpy.....I'll write that up later....right now, just work on getting a good size and shape body......do a trial run body and stuff it up with loosely with some newspaper or paper towels or tissues, see how like the shape and size........
Does this sound doable?

Shylaah

Definitely! I will start on getting the materials together first thing in the morning, I think sometimes afternoon I will be ready to start cutting and sewing. Thank you very much I can't wait to start posting the test runs. :)

Okay, then. Good luck with it......
Forgot to add, after you sew the second row of stitching trim off the excess fabric close to that stitching and turn it right side out.......
I, a lot of times, forget to say what is obvious and the natural course of things for me, but actually might not occur to the person I'm 'talking' to......

I'll do some thinking on that head part, and write more tomorrow.....

Shylaah

Here are two Variations of the deadpool plushy. Sorry for the crude drawings, I just slapped them together

6334-deadpool-variation-one.jpg

Well this looks like he could be made and then dressed in a suit with boots and gloves and stuff, but unless you want it to get rather complicated, I think the uni-body is a better way to do it. Make some shoes out of the same red body fabric and add the black 'cuffs', and add the black vambraces and whatever is going on in the shoulder area--armor? vest? I can't really tell what it is. Then make and add the accessories......

Looking for a boot pattern.....

Shylaah

A small inside curve like that is difficult. Try to make the armpit curve as gently curving as you can without wrecking the asthmatics of a somewhat human form, and make the arm out at less than a 90 degree angle, and wider than you really think it should be.

You need to trim that underarm seem as close as possible to the stitching. After you do that, work on "loosing up" that area a little bit by starting right at the bend of the arm pit with about 1/2 inch of the seam between holding it on either side between your index fingers and thumbs, and gently pull and twist at it, and make a little "scrubbing motion" on the seam against itself to help tease the seam allowance into a straight line. Work your way outwards from the center until the seam allowance and stitched line are somewhat flexible.

If that doesn't work out, you might have to put a little gusset in there.

Shylaah

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back