NCIS Abby's Caf-POW cup

Hey guys! I just noticed this thread and it made me smile. My name is Doug Reilly and I'm the one who actually designs and makes the props on NCIS (Yes, I designed Caf-Pow!) and just wanted to say that I think it's great you guys are going through so much effort to replicate something I've made for TV =) If there are any questions you guys have about any of my designs for the show, just let me know and I'd be happy to help out. . .I might even have questions for some of you!

:::dsr:::

Great to have you here Doug! Big NCIS fan since day one. Thanks for all you do to make the show that much more believable. Glad you like the recreation of your work. I think it was "Propologist" who initially sparked interest in this and as it was something I too wanted to do, we all threw whatever info we had at it to see if it was going to be doable. As is so common with so many projects on here, life got in the way of what we would rather be doing with our time. Long story short, I ended up having them printed on vinyl. Is this how the real ones were done? I'm also curious as to how close the colors are to the original. Thanks for the tip on the paint used for the lids BTW. I am sure that will help out a lot of us who were wondering.
Its good to have another industry professional on the forum. We have a few. You and your work obviously inspires us, so feel free to ask what you will. I'm sure at least one of us will not hesitate to return the favor.

And a welcome from me as well. It's really great to have the real deal described.

Can you confirm the straw color? Orange? I was able to find orange straws at 7-11, but they had two lines along them. ?
I'd also be interested in the form of the straw--straight vs. bendy--as it seems that both have been featured on-screen.

Thanks for your input and interest!

Hello Doug, and welcome to the RPF. I'm honestly glad to say that it's an honor to hear your approval of our collaborative efforts to recreate your Caf-Pow cups and our talks about everything. I do have a question about a prop.

The prop is another Caf-Pow related article, but its not the cup. In one episode, which involved a cocaine tracking dog who is accused of killing its owner, Abby locked herself in her lab with the dog in hopes she can prove the dog's innocence. She had with her a Caf-Pow mini-keg. What can you tell us about the mini-keg?

To 8 Perf, I hope you received the message I sent you with my order of labels, as new members can't post to the Junkyard thread. =(

~Roxy

Some good news on cups tonight. I found a different corner store that has the exact same 64oz cup as 7-11 uses. Same MFG, same everything, except the printing on the cup will probably come off easier than on the 7-11 cups. I got one tonight and will check it out tomorrow.

This project of the Caf-Pow cups is turning out to be a little more difficult than I thought. Found some 7-11's in Florida near where my mom lives, I called them and they promised they had the exact cups I needed. Had my mom drive there and pick them up. I just got the cups in the mail, and all i could think about is I could make my own Mastercard commercial....
Purchased Labels online- $40
Purchased Cups in Florida - $7.50
Had cups shipped to Atlanta- $10
The look on my face when I opened the box and saw Super Big Gulps instead of DOUBLE Gulps...PRICELESS.

I was going to add a picture but it says to add the "URL"...not sure how to add image. Sigh...Pretty sure those labels arent going to fit right.

Doug, can I buy 5 cups from you?

The cups are made by Letica plastic so far I have 2 from 7-11 and 1 from The Corner Store which is a gas station run by Valero.

The manager at the gas station said he thought all Valero owned stations would have the same cup so I will go to a regular Valero station today and find out.

Great to have you here Doug! Big NCIS fan since day one. Thanks for all you do to make the show that much more believable. Glad you like the recreation of your work. I think it was "Propologist" who initially sparked interest in this and as it was something I too wanted to do, we all threw whatever info we had at it to see if it was going to be doable. As is so common with so many projects on here, life got in the way of what we would rather be doing with our time. Long story short, I ended up having them printed on vinyl. Is this how the real ones were done? I'm also curious as to how close the colors are to the original. Thanks for the tip on the paint used for the lids BTW. I am sure that will help out a lot of us who were wondering.
Its good to have another industry professional on the forum. We have a few. You and your work obviously inspires us, so feel free to ask what you will. I'm sure at least one of us will not hesitate to return the favor.

Here are the exact tools that I use to make the Caf-Pow! graphics and props.

Software: Adobe Illustrator CS4, (Design Premium CS4)
Printer: Epson Stylus Photo R2400
Paper: Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy, 13" x 19" Super B
Ink: Epson Ultrachrome K3 Inks with Photo Black installed
Laminator: Fellowes Venus 125 Wide Format Laminator
Laminates: GBC 'Heat Seal' legal size (8.5" x 14") sheets at 3 mil
Adhesive: 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive
Tape 1: Scotch 'Transparent' Tape at 3/4" x 1296"
Tape 2: 3M Scotch Blue Painter's Tape at 1" x 60 YD
Sandpaper: 100 Grit Wet/Dry sandpaper
Knife: X-ACTO PRECISION KNIFE X2000
Blades: X-ACTO 'X-Life' No. 11 blades
Cup: 7-11 'Double Gulp' 64oz Red & White cup
Lid: 7-11 'Double-Gulp' clear lid
Straw: 7-11 'Double Gulp' 13" orange straw, straight
Paint: Rust-oleum 'Painter's Touch' Apple Red - Gloss Spray Paint

Hope this helps out =)

dougreilly, I personally cannot recall any original prop creator from film or theater to ever come here to the RPF and give the exact information used to make one of their creations. I've read threads on props created decades ago and the prop creator may not recall the details and have offered what information they could and some may see some of the items mentioned as superfluous but we tend to nit pick the details here and I would like to thank you for being so open with such details. :thumbsup

Here are the exact tools that I use to make the Caf-Pow! graphics and props.

Software: Adobe Illustrator CS4, (Design Premium CS4)
Printer: Epson Stylus Photo R2400
Paper: Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy, 13" x 19" Super B
Ink: Epson Ultrachrome K3 Inks with Photo Black installed
Laminator: Fellowes Venus 125 Wide Format Laminator
Laminates: GBC 'Heat Seal' legal size (8.5" x 14") sheets at 3 mil
Adhesive: 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive
Tape 1: Scotch 'Transparent' Tape at 3/4" x 1296"
Tape 2: 3M Scotch Blue Painter's Tape at 1" x 60 YD
Sandpaper: 100 Grit Wet/Dry sandpaper
Knife: X-ACTO PRECISION KNIFE X2000
Blades: X-ACTO 'X-Life' No. 11 blades
Cup: 7-11 'Double Gulp' 64oz Red & White cup
Lid: 7-11 'Double-Gulp' clear lid
Straw: 7-11 'Double Gulp' 13" orange straw, straight
Paint: Rust-oleum 'Painter's Touch' Apple Red - Gloss Spray Paint

Hope this helps out =)

You have no idea how refreshing it is to see the "creatives" in the industry offering this kind of feedback. Many thanks to you, sir.
Did mine in Photoshop, hope you're not too upset. :)

It is more than refreshing to see Doug's point of view. He even told me with a link about how he did Gibbs Lunch box that I want to recreate for my collection. He is truly one for his fans. I only wish I could attend a NCIS fan fest to shake your hand.
I think he understands that we care about the show and are true fans of it. There's no danger of us stealing his job.
I want to get his autograph at some point so I can add it to my collection

Wow, thanks for the comments, guys! They made my day =)

Earlier someone asked what the real colors of the Caf-Pow! label were, so here's a strip of the actual image. Just use the eyedropper tool in whatever graphics program you're using to get the values of each color. I would post the whole graphic for you guys to have fun with, but I don't want our legal department hunting me down =)

It is more than refreshing to see Doug's point of view. He even told me with a link about how he did Gibbs Lunch box that I want to recreate for my collection. He is truly one for his fans. I only wish I could attend a NCIS fan fest to shake your hand.
I think he understands that we care about the show and are true fans of it. There's no danger of us stealing his job.
I want to get his autograph at some point so I can add it to my collection

Here are the pics of Kelly Gibbs' Lunchbox that I promised. FYI, the type of box I used was a Nintendo DS Lite Super Princess Peach Accessory Storage Kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Super-Princess-Accessory-Storage-none/dp/B0010KT2US

The generic pony graphics on the side were something I put together in Illustrator.

Of course, I painted and aged it to look like it was buried in a backyard for 20 years =)

Hope you can have some fun with these...

FYI guys and gals 7-11's in Dallas, Richardson and Plano TX have these.

I ran by the stores along Route 74 out of Plano towards Sherman and grabbed about 5 for 25c a piece. If I knew I would have got as many as possible, sorry.

I'm not in Texas it was just a road trip, but if anyone is in the area grab them while you can because I think they're moving towards a clear plastic cup and away from this style.

FYI guys and gals 7-11's in Dallas, Richardson and Plano TX have these.

I ran by the stores along Route 74 out of Plano towards Sherman and grabbed about 5 for 25c a piece. If I knew I would have got as many as possible, sorry.

I'm not in Texas it was just a road trip, but if anyone is in the area grab them while you can because I think they're moving towards a clear plastic cup and away from this style.

Heres a shot of the 7-11 cup next to a Valero Corner Store cup.
attachment.php

They have over 1000 of them in the back room of the station by my house, and are according to the manager the same cup used through out the US.

The cup is the same as 7-11's the top is clear plastic with only the drink bumps- no logos. The straws are straight long solid red.

Here is the link for the Valero Corner Store Locator:
http://www.valero.com/Stores/StoreLocator/Pages/Home.aspx

Stores are nation wide.

And the one for RaceTrack Stations mentioned back a few pages:
http://www.racetrac.com/search-results.aspx?folder=20&zip=&state=az&id=1368

They seem to be in Texas, Florida, Georgia, and Lousiana.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back