Narin's Aboriginal - finished (former WIP)

Oh, man... That thing looks awesome! I hate painting dot patterns, but the effect here is just as, if not more, eye catching than most dot patterns I've seen. And that orange POPS like crazy. It looks awesome, man! Can't wait to see more of it.

Thanks guys! It actually turned into a kind of concept paint job. I wanted to do something with the aboriginal theme (as if the giant boomerang wasn't enough), but smearing on white body paint didn't feel like the way to go (on the pred figure I mean). So eventually I opted for a colour scheme consisting of the four main colours used in traditional aboriginal art: white (the clouds), black (the aboriginal people), yellow (the sun) and red (the red earth), also found, except for white, in the aboriginal flag.

Last edited:
Just a tiny update after 2,5 hours of masking and an hour of air brushing. Basic colours for the croc skin armour are finished, now these need a clear coat and a wash, then another clear coat. Then, towards the end of the whole project, an oil glaze to finish it off.

20160626_181447.jpg

Thanks man! A good air brush set and some patience will get you a long way. From there on you just need to get some practice.
Knowledge on paint stripper (and then some more patience) never hurts either :D

(I stripped and repainted both the rock base and the croc's head, 'cause both had become way too dark at first.)

There's a fantastic albino paint up here: http://takatinp.zombie.jp/p31.htm
I only wish I'd've thought of that one first!
Indeed!!! I'm hoping the new predator movie does something exotic like this with the new preds!!! I'm also trying to find a balance of getting more nice peices for my collection, it's either I by shoes or purses, then a pred figure. Next time I might stop myself before that and think of this albino figure!!! He wa stunning, thank you for the link!!!!

Thanks man! A good air brush set and some patience will get you a long way. From there on you just need to get some practice.
Knowledge on paint stripper (and then some more patience) never hurts either :D

(I stripped and repainted both the rock base and the croc's head, 'cause both had become way too dark at first.)

Easier said than done. :) For now I will just live vicariously through talented kit builders such as yourself. Garage kits are my favorite, so it's great to see more and more of them. I'll be checking in here for more updates.

Absolutely amazing! I would have no idea where to even start on something like this. From the masking of what not to paint to the choice of colors to use on what should be painted, the entire process is simply mind boggling to me! I have experience with making 1:1 props, costumes, and sets look good on camera, but working in miniature is an art I will leave to an expert. I'm blown away by your attention to detail man! Outstanding work! (y)

Thanks man! I look at 1:1 props and full body suits in the same way, I wouldn't know where to start!
It's probably both mostly learning by doing (and learning by messing up, which I still regularly do).
But if you ever decide to take your film career in a different direction and become the next Ray Harryhausen, call me to come help with the miniatures :D

Another small update, been doing lots of small stuff, all the little pouches, skulls and belts around his waist. It still looks really dull and flat, but that should get better when I get around to doing washes and/or glazes. That will bring out the details a lot better.

20160710_164941.jpg
20160710_164902.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back