My Ultimate Harry Potter Replica

ATL Kenobi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ultimate at least for me :).

1 Right side panel - not stained.jpg

I've been wanting to replicate the Crying Window for a while. I started by finding all the images I could from the internet, then a trip to the gift shop at Leavesden to take about 74 pictures of the original prop which is huge. I decided to replicate just the section most featured in the movie, and then I drew up a layout in Autocad. I took several leaded (stained) glass courses, joined a glass fusion group, and took online traditional glass painting and staining courses.

I'm starting with the side panels because they're relatively easy and mirror images of each other. The celadon green and the clear glass bits were hand painted with vitreous paint which is fused at 1220°F. The sky blue glass has applied black enamel decal (cut with a Silhouette Cameo) fused at 1350°F.

The panel shown is not soldered yet. The ovals in the clear glass have to be tinted yellow using silver stain which I'll apply once I get my own kiln hopefully early next year.

ATL

Way to dive into getting your skills up to par for this project! I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Brilliant! I have always wondered why a really nice replica of this (or the mermaid stained glass) was not done. Cannot wait to see the end result.

Thanks everyone!
Some progress with cutting some of the pieces of glass.
2 Some glass cut..jpg

House Elf I'd like to see full replicas too but keep in mind that the actual size of the props are huge. Here's the full window:
3 Its huge.JPG

So, once a prop like that is done, where do you put it?:oops: It also probably weighs several hundred pounds. Also, keep in mind that a 12 inch square sheet of colored glass probably averages $15 each. I'd love to do a replica of the "mermaid window", but it's not in my future.

And BTW - If one looks closely at the full prop, you can see that the glass wasn't actually painted or stain, but rather, I suspect, clear transparencies or film was printed and applied to the glass. In many places, the film is coming off.:( I hope the powers that be at Leavesden will restore it someday.

ATL

Loving the progress. I went to send you a private message, but it looks like you have them turned off.

Loving the progress. I went to send you a private message, but it looks like you have them turned off.

Hi teecrooz Thanks for the comment. I think the PMs are turned back on.

4 more glass.jpg

I've cut a few more pieces. The glass looks darker than the crying window images because they're against the white paper background. That's actually been the hardest part - choosing the glass colors from what's available. :)

ATL

Last edited:
I've finally got the last 2 colors of glass, cut them up and set them in place.
5 all the glass cut.jpg

Unfortunately, the delivery of my kiln has been delayed, so I'll set this project aside until it arrives. I'll keep up with my glasswork by making a reproduction Tiffany 1495 styled lamp. A bunch of small pieces of glass, cut, fitted, and soldered together on a fiberglass form. :oops:

ATL

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back