My Rubies' Vader mod V.2

DARTH ANIBAL

Sr Member
When I started my Vader costume 2 years ago, I had never done anything like what I was about to do. I had no experience with making/working on props, or a costume that looked as professional as the look I was going for. Given that set of circumstances, my research and hard work allowed me to build a decent Vader costume. Good enough to make people say, "Wow", and good enough for me to be proud of at the time. Since then I've upgraded certain parts, others I've redone. Recently, there have been a lot of Vader helmet threads with some of the most beautiful pics I've seen to date, and it's made me want to go back and re-do my helmet. It's the centerpiece of the costume, and arguably the most important component. I can't really afford some of these gorgeous helmets I see here sometimes, and since I missed out on the DP CA's, the Rubies' is my blank canvas. I know it has it's shortcomings, but I really like this helmet! It's an excellent base to work with, and with some patience and work can be made to look very good. In the past 2 years, I've learned a lot from many threads here, and my own attempts at making my costume better, and I recently bought a new Rubies' to mod. I'll post my progress as I go along because I intend to make this the best looking Rubies' Vader mod in all the land! Lofty goal I know, but I really want to challenge myself here. The first of these mods has been the dome placement. It's believed that the CA's and the Rubies' domes are too short, but apparently it's all in the mounting mechanism. They're made in a way that positions the back of the dome way too high. These pics are what I've done so far. I think the dome position looks just right. I still have a long ways to go, but I feel I'm off to a good start. Constructive feedback is welcome and appreciated.

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00777.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
Wow... those pics just goes to show how bad the original mounting system on the Rubies really is. The further away the front of the dome is from the faceplate, the better the lower dome swoop is at the back. Can't wait to see more progress pics.

Looks great. I started some threads earlier trying to see different domes on the Rubies but I do believe that I am finally going to just mod the placement of the existing dome. I will change the angle and lower it and I believe it will improve the overall loook 100% plus cost 0.00$$$$$ ..

Looks like I have a new project. :thumbsup

Can you explain what you did exactly to the dome mounting pad, etc..

I just saw the other threads, I am shocked this is a rubies. You are like an alchemist turning lead into gold. Looks good and wearable for trooping without the weight or the cost of fiberglass. :thumbsup

Ahhh now that's the kind of research I'm talking about :thumbsup ....great job modifying the dome position on the Rubies. It would be cool to see someone do that with a DP CA...

The helmet is looking much better...three suggestions if I may (not sure if they were done on those other modded Rubies I've seen). I notice the center ridge on the helmet (dome) is wider than ESB...it would be interesting to dremel down the sides of the ridge so that it's narrower and shaped like ESB...it's almost shaped like a ROTJ helmet. Also, the noseslots of course need work....they seem narrower than the original ones but their height seems close. That means you could cut into them to make their profile more square, hopefully without making them taller than they are. One other thing...these Rubies faceplates are fairly sharp (compared to a DP CA) so much so that the cheeks come to a sharp point on each side. I would take just a fraction of a mm of material off those points to smooth them out. I think that will make a big difference in the closeups :).

<div class='quotetop'>(SithLord @ Aug 12 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]1299012[/snapback]</div>
I notice the center ridge on the helmet (dome) is wider than ESB...it would be interesting to dremel down the sides of the ridge so that it's narrower and shaped like ESB...it's almost shaped like a ROTJ helmet.
[/b]
Unfortunately you cannot reshape the dome center ridge without having to back the inside with fiberglass first - otherwise you will end up with two halves, rather than one whole dome. The dome requires more work than it is really worth... though, I have seen some fine examples of people turning the RS dome into something cool looking.

Good job I was thinking to do the same thing for one of my helmet.
The dome position is one of the most important thing on a vader helmet.
Can't wait to see more pics
:thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(SithLord @ Aug 12 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]1299012[/snapback]</div>
Ahhh now that's the kind of research I'm talking about :thumbsup ....great job modifying the dome position on the Rubies. It would be cool to see someone do that with a DP CA...

[/b]
Someone here did do that with a CA. It required cutting that T mount and positioning it lower and then using hotglue to secure it into place.

Yes, this thread http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=107103&hl=shabazz was what got me thinking about somehow redoing the dome placement. The discussion about it starts at post #16. I basically did what Shabazz did, but translated it for the Rubies'. I promise I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow. At the time though, my helmet was already "done" and painted and I wasn't about to start cutting into it. So, I just got me a new Rubies and I'm starting over. Thanks for the comments everyone, I will keep this thread updated as it comes along. BTW, the next major thing I'll be tackling is that soft, too wide dome ridge (measurements, anyone?)

can we just get a thread with a list of what needs to be changed to achieve which look?

just thought it would make less clutter, and we have a lot of new guys with alot of questions, that ARE answered... but on like 10 different threads. :p

one thing i want to know, what EXACTLY needs to be done with the eyes?

and i dont know if im the only one that feels this way, but even though the rubies has the big chin vent... the bucket seems to be more reminescent of the ANH vader than any of the other 3, although its supposed to be an ROTS... :unsure

<div class='quotetop'>(oldken @ Aug 14 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]1300398[/snapback]</div>
can we just get a thread with a list of what needs to be changed to achieve which look?
just thought it would make less clutter, and we have a lot of new guys with alot of questions, that ARE answered... but on like 10 different threads. :p
[/b]
Sure... let's do that. :)

For the accurate RotJ look:
Remove lenses & grills & tusks.
Fill in eyesockets with filler or magic sculpt to create accurate depth to eye-sockets
Fill in nose slots and teardrop and cut and file new ones of those.
Fill in the seam line on the nose plug - do not remove as the nose has the correct look with it attached.
Reshape dome mount
Reshape neck flare.
Reshape center strip on the dome - after having backed the inside with fiberglass, etc.
Paint the helmet
Attach new lenses & grills and tusks

Then you should be done

<div class='quotetop'>(oldken @ Aug 14 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]1300398[/snapback]</div>
one thing i want to know, what EXACTLY needs to be done with the eyes?
[/b]
You gotta take out the lenses, cut off the tabs holding the lenses, get some new lenses - either from lenseman or some other guy - fill up the eye-socket, until it gets the correct depth, sand a little, glue in the new lenses... and there you have new lenses. :thumbsup

and i dont know if im the only one that feels this way, but even though the rubies has the big chin vent... the bucket seems to be more reminescent of the ANH vader than any of the other 3, although its supposed to be an ROTS... :unsure
[/b]
The Rubies is a RotJ - badly re-tooled. Carried on from the same line of helmets as the Don Post's.

<div class='quotetop'>(oldken @ Aug 14 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]1300398[/snapback]</div>

just thought it would make less clutter, and we have a lot of new guys with alot of questions, that ARE answered... but on like 10 different threads. :p[/b]

Well, I just started this as a personal project thread. I don't mean to cause any clutter, but what I'm doing wasn't relevant to any of the other topics since I'm not really asking a question. It's more of a WIP thread for anyone interested in following along. If it helps somebody with a question or two, great. I'm sure there's a few other Rubies' owners out here interested in what I'm doing :)

<div class='quotetop'>(DARTH ANIBAL @ Aug 15 2006, 01:25 AM) [snapback]1300484[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(oldken @ Aug 14 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]1300398[/snapback]

just thought it would make less clutter, and we have a lot of new guys with alot of questions, that ARE answered... but on like 10 different threads. :p[/b]

Well, I just started this as a personal project thread. I don't mean to cause any clutter, but what I'm doing wasn't relevant to any of the other topics since I'm not really asking a question. It's more of a WIP thread for anyone interested in following along. If it helps somebody with a question or two, great. I'm sure there's a few other Rubies' owners out here interested in what I'm doing :)
[/b][/quote]
Sorry for going OT in your show-off topic, wasn't my intention. Hope you can forgive. :angel

Most definitely the best version of this helmet I've seen to date. Nice job and good eye for detail. That is way more accurate than anything Rubies will ever release in their un-altered line. :)

Dave

*Update*

Taking a cue from the "Celtic Touch", I've decided to cut off the whole top portion of the facemask in order to attach a skateboarding helmet for more comfort and "wearability". I'd like to get some recommendations as to what is a good, sandable, easy-to-work-with putty. The final result does not have to be a perfect seam, as the dome will cover that part of it, but I'd like something that I can also use to work on some of the issues of the face itself. Of course, it must also be able to take paint well.

Disregard the masking tape, it's just there to hold the mask and helmet together for fitting.

DSC01163.jpg

DSC01161.jpg

Suggestions?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back