My Rubies' Vader mod V.2

I have heard of DAVIDS P40, which is an auto-filler - resin filler paste with fiber glass particles in it. Was mentioned on Sith Training Temple, but unsure where, regarding the modding of a Rubies Supreme dome. I'm not familiar with this product myself, but the results looked nice.

I'm currently looking into whether this stuff is available here where I live or something similar, as I need it to do the mods on my cut-up Supreme, Concept project.

It's definitely clear to see the RotJ traits in the Supreme mask... very nice.

Though, may I ask if you are gonna install the nose-plug again and fill up the seams, as it looks mighty thin now, or are you gonna do something else?

Actually, when all is said and done, I'm going for an ESB look. Yeah, I'm putting the "nose plug" back in when I start on all the face mods :thumbsup

I found modding my Rubies a great deal of fun TBH...

Started with the main mods on the face, and aimed for the ANH look... ie smaller chin vent, red lenses etc etc....

However, the dome bugged me... especially that nasty ridge..

So, in a wild bit of spare time, I removed it... filled, sanded, and added a new ridge.

Not fully accurate, or finished... but it will do me..

1-picture1.jpg

Nice. Now all you need to do is sharpen the lines between the top part and the flanges of the dome at the front near the center ridge and it'll look great. Any more details on how you did this work is highly appreciated. What materials were used to support the dome when you removed the original center strip and what was used to make the new strip?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Feb 13 2007, 06:14 AM) [snapback]1417843[/snapback]</div>
What materials were used to support the dome when you removed the original center strip and what was used to make the new strip?
[/b]

I'm interested in this, as well...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Feb 13 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]1417843[/snapback]</div>
Nice. Now all you need to do is sharpen the lines between the top part and the flanges of the dome at the front near the center ridge and it'll look great. Any more details on how you did this work is highly appreciated. What materials were used to support the dome when you removed the original center strip and what was used to make the new strip?
[/b]

I found that the D shaped support inside the dome held it together whilst I removed the ridge... was a bit floppy, being only held by 2 bits.

Filled the gap from the inside with fibreglass, basically to give it a bit of strength & support. Then used auto body filler to fill in the outside.

Smoothed it down, and gave it a coat of primer to find any imperfections.

The new ridge, is just a strip of abs stuck on.

Will have a go at making the domes 'eyebrows' a bit sharper..

Hope that's made a bit of sense....lol

Interesting. Never really thought of doing it like that - yes, similarly, but with different materials...

Looking forward to seeing more... though... perhaps you should make your own topic about your helmet mods?

Would also suggest, seeing you going the ANH route to try to make the Y-crease at the widows peak, if possible. I can draw you an illustration how that could be done, if you're interested.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TK/TB6540 @ Feb 14 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]1419065[/snapback]</div>
I found that the D shaped support inside the dome held it together whilst I removed the ridge... was a bit floppy, being only held by 2 bits.

Filled the gap from the inside with fibreglass, basically to give it a bit of strength & support. Then used auto body filler to fill in the outside.[/b]

Okay, fiberglass experts (and TK/TB6540), please chime in here. I hear conflicting advice about this. I would like to take the approach TK/TB6540 did in f'glassing the inside of the dome for support, and sanding the existing ridge off. Some advise against it, saying that the heat generated by the f'glass will warp my dome. Judging from the pic he posted, his dome doesn't look like it's suffered any damage. If you've held the Rubies', you'll see that the material is totally different from the DPCA. It's VERY sturdy, rigid plastic, whereas the DPCA almost seems like it would melt if left in a hot car. Sooo, is there any instance where it's safe to use f'glass on plastic? I need this question answered in order to proceed with this project.

A member of my forum, CSMacLaren - also a member here - tested out various products and found that AquaMend was the best and easiest to work with - it's marine fiberglass repair putty.

If you're referring to the line that seperates the top of the dome from the flange (flare), that "~" is actually "supposed" to be there. It's OT Vader in all his asymmetrical glory B) .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DARTH ANIBAL @ Mar 14 2007, 03:21 PM) [snapback]1439805[/snapback]</div>
Okay, fiberglass experts (and TK/TB6540), please chime in here. I hear conflicting advice about this. I would like to take the approach TK/TB6540 did in f'glassing the inside of the dome for support, and sanding the existing ridge off. Some advise against it, saying that the heat generated by the f'glass will warp my dome. Judging from the pic he posted, his dome doesn't look like it's suffered any damage. If you've held the Rubies', you'll see that the material is totally different from the DPCA. It's VERY sturdy, rigid plastic, whereas the DPCA almost seems like it would melt if left in a hot car. Sooo, is there any instance where it's safe to use f'glass on plastic? I need this question answered in order to proceed with this project.
[/b]

Ok, well mine didn't warp at all when using the fibreglass mat & resin. As you mentioned, the Rubies dome is a fairly solid piece.

I made a very weak mixtureof FG, so it was mixed enough to harden, but took a while to set, and therefore didn't produce a lot of heat.

I've used fibreglass on ABS Trooper lids before, and they are as thin as paper in some places. All I did with those, is place a cold, damp cloth over the area that was being 'modded'.

Never had anything warp on me yet TBH..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TK/TB6540 @ Mar 19 2007, 06:40 PM) [snapback]1443579[/snapback]</div>
Ok, well mine didn't warp at all when using the fibreglass mat & resin. As you mentioned, the Rubies dome is a fairly solid piece.

I made a very weak mixtureof FG, so it was mixed enough to harden, but took a while to set, and therefore didn't produce a lot of heat.

I've used fibreglass on ABS Trooper lids before, and they are as thin as paper in some places. All I did with those, is place a cold, damp cloth over the area that was being 'modded'.

Never had anything warp on me yet TBH..
[/b]

I presume I'll be roughing up the inside of the dome before applying the f'glass? So...

-How did you go about making a "weak" mixture of f'glass? I've never worked with it before, so please be clear. If you would, please post here for the benefit of anyone following this thread.

-Did you sand off the ridge with a power sander?

-Did the weight of the dome increase by much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My Rubies' Vader mod V.2

*cough cough* Lots of dust on this thread! :redface

Well, here we are. Almost 2 years, a wedding, a home purchase, and a baby after I began, I've started to come back to this project that I had to put on the back burner due to the aforementioned reasons. I really wanted to rework the Rubies' dome, as I wanted to be able to say that under all the mods there was still a Rubies' under there (just as kind of a testament to all my work). I've since given up on that idea, and thanks to SgtFang's most recent contribution, decided to just pair up the faceplate with one of his Vader domes. It's an ANH, but changing that to ESB should be simple enough. My new direction with this project is to get the face as "right" as I can get it.

After I ordered my dome from SgtFang but before I received it, I started hearing rumblings about how it was a bit undersized, and I kind of went into panic mode trying to get input about it. Well, I got it yesterday, quickly set it up, and snapped a few pics. I've gone through all my reference pics for comparison, and although it seems the dome almost never seems to be set up the same in any 2 movie screenshots, it looks pretty good to me.

DSC00635.jpg

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00638.jpg

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00640.jpg

I'm looking for honest opinions from the Vaderheads. Does it look about right to you? Does the dome look undersized? We're just focusing on the positioning and size of the dome in relation to the facemask here. What say ye?

Last edited:
Re: My Rubies' Vader mod V.2

I'd have to agree on the comments that the dome looks a bit undersized on the face, though, it could be possible to make them look good together.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back