My Quantum Leap Ziggy Handlink Project

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Atarian, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Atarian

Atarian Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OK guys, now that I finally have some free time, I'm starting work on this project. I'm going to model it in 3d, but from there I'm not sure the best way to go. I want to be able to send the model out, get parts back, but I need to be able to drill holes in the pieces for screws and LEDs before getting the parts cast to offer a VERY LIMITED run of replicas. I was thinking that a rapid prototype might be good, but I hear the parts you get back are soft, and I would definately mess that up. So my next idea is to get the individual parts cut from plexiglass, but I would need some really thick plexi for some parts, and I don't know if it is even made that thick. It has to be something I can drill, fit, etc before the final molding stage. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

*edit* Just wanted to add that ther are no curved parts on the prop, all flat edges *edit*

2. Atarian

Please dont let this one fall off the board, I need advice on this :)

3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The only advice I can give you is please let me know when these are available.. :D

4. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Yeah, wish I could offer some advice, but I'm definitely down for one of these when you get them made.

Sean

5. Quinn Merrick

Quinn Merrick Well-Known Member

Wasn't the original square LEDs? Try and find out what the original was and then go from there is my suggestion (yeah, not ground breaking but there you go)

6. Atarian

they were, but i'm told they dont exist anymore.

7. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Maybe the thicker pieces can be made from clear/colored resin. It would make multiple copies easier as well as you'd just have to repour the molds for each one.

I'm really looking forward to see how this comes out. It would be cool to get one with lights and maybe a random sound board.

-Fred

8. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

I managed to get my hands on some of the old LED blocks that were used on the originals. I'll see if I can dig them out and take some pictures and dimensions for you.

Sean

9. Atarian

That's the plan, but I need a prototype made up so I can finalize the parts before molding.

I've already contacted hyperdyne about the electronics and he says he can do the lights and sounds :)

10. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

looking at the pics posted in the other thread, you can defintly make out the "j" battery, as well as what looks like a 40 pin EEPROM chip above it. (Electronically Eraseable Programable Read Only Memory).
    Wonder if thats there for looks or function? If its function, the electronics on this are gonna be a real B**ch.
    Like most, I was thinking all the LED's were set up on a timed flasher circuit with the brass pips being used to interupt the sequence of certain junctions. Just a guess.
    As for the actual plastic link itself, If you look close at the pics, you can make out two layers of 1/4 inch plex/ lucite making up the middle section. Not too sure about the bottom, but the top appears to have a 1/16 clear layer with all the colored bits on top of it forming the "lid". Most of the colored pieces appear to 1/8 inch thick with the excepti0on being the block like shapes holding some of the LED's.
    With accurate dimensions, a non-working one of these would be pretty easy to assemble.

11. Atarian

I have the exact dimensions now. but this project is for a fully functional replica :)

More info to come.

12. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

Would you be willing to post a link to your plans/ drawings? Maybe get this thing off the ground after all.

13. Atarian

It's off the ground, I've been working on it. I'll post progress when I have a bit more to show :)

14. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have always wanted to get one of these, marke me down as absolutely interested in one. I have the original posted shots on my pc. I think they have been posted here and on the other thread, but you can always pm me with your e-mail if you want me to zip them out to you.

15. Atarian

I think I have the shots you are talking about, but you can send me anything you have to atarian@gmail.com

I'm trying to make this as accurate as possible, down to light sequences and all :)

16. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

I can't wait to see what you'll come up with - I'm so EXCITED to see this finally made.

17. Atarian

Just thought I'd post a little progress for you guys. As you can see, I'm about 50% done with the template for the back piece of the link. Almost ready to send it out to get some plexi cut. I'm really exited about this project, and I hope the interest is still here :)
    [​IMG]

18. Apollo

Oh Yeah... I'm in AND Excited..... :lol

19. saber_holder

saber_holder Active Member

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  20. Atarian

ok, the back template is just about done, just need to make sure the lines and angles are just right and add screw holes. I'm going to work on the middle section before the faceplate. A member here has some block LEDs and he is going to give me the dimensions, so I'll wait for those. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

21. Apollo

Man thats looking good.... :)

22. Polluxius

Polluxius Active Member

This is gonna be sweet one complete, I am interested.

Funny enough, it was this piece of TV history that drove me to make my first prop. I made a 'replica' of this out of a calculator and some pieces of plexiglass(i think) colored with stain glass paint from those lil kits. I gutted the calc and glued everything together with my Moms help, with a hot glue gun. I provided the noises with my mouth ;)

I went as Al for halloween when I was in 7th grade. No one knew who I was.

I look forward to the progress of this project.

23. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Very nice. Very interested.

24. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

:eek :eek :eek

FULLY functional???

dude i wanna go back and forth through time pretending to be different guys...

LOL...

i cant remember exactly what this thing looks like surely someone has a pic.

25. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

26. Atarian

hehe, I mean fully functional in that it behaves as it was viewed on screen. Now the actual prop didnt make sounds, it was all done in post production. But this replica will. I'm also planning a custom display stand with plaque for this piece. I'll keep everyone up to date.

27. Atarian

masterjedi322 just got me some pics and measurements on the LEDs, I just emailed some of the LED suppliers to see if they had any kicking around, just in case, But If they dont, I'll figure something out.

28. Atarian

29. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Well, if things get really desperate, you can always try these grain-of-wheat bulbs http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-~grain+of+wheat+bulb-p14237686. Maybe, if you offer it at a lowered price as a kit people can add them on their own so you wouldn't have to drill hundreds of holes.

Wasn't there a website mentioned during the Luke ROTJ LED discussion? If they have the triangle LEDs, maybe they have the cube ones as well.

-Fred

30. Atarian

I'd really rather offer these as completed pieces only. I'm gonna keep looking, thanks for the link.

31. Macklin

Macklin Well-Known Member

I looked into making one of these years ago. I scaled pics, made drawings and searched day and night for those pesky LEDs. Nothing.

Occasionally a board member would find a handful of them. Very rare.

So I came up with a plan to make them from scratch. I never implemented the idea, but here it is.

Get some plain LED diodes without the acrylic housing. Make a mold of the shape you need and cast them in clear resin using dyes to color them. You can cast clear resin in layers, pouring just enough for a 'top' layer, let it set, then put your leds in the mold and pour the rest. In theory it should set and you won't see a seam line.

It's a major pain in the butt and that's the main reason I never tried it. I put the project on the back burner, hoping I would eventually come across enough LEDs to build one of these. So far, no luck.

Patrick

32. Atarian

I was just tossing that idea around myself, heh. it does seem that it may be the only way. Thanks for the tip.

33. Atarian

Finally a bit of success in my search.
    http://www.lumex.com/product.asp?id=1002238

I'm thinking i can just use these to from the larger blocks of LEDs on the handlink, the width is perfect, not quite tall enough (for some of them), but looks just right for others. Getting much closer to the first prototype now.

34. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Updates. We need updates.

35. Apollo

:) Yes.... :)

36. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

37. Atarian

I had a few parts cut for physical size reference. They were shipped 2 days ago, so I should have them soon.

Hyperdyne will be doing the electronics, so you know it will be top notch. I have a little surprise planned, but I don't want to say too much in case it can't be done :)

38. Atarian

This is just a cutout of the outline of the link, now I can physically measure things like the chips and LEDs and stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm almost done with the front template. Then I can get the prototype parts cut.

39. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great. It's awesome to see this finally coming together. Thanks for taking it on.

40. Apollo

:thumbsup :D

41. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

word, i was just playin with the "fully functional" comment, :p

i cant wait to see this thing done...

deffinately keep us posted. :thumbsup

42. HMS Mike

HMS Mike Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    Saw this thread and have some pic's you can use.
    As well as some info on the LEDs the were puchaced from a company called CAL-PAK Division CAL WEST SUPPLY,INC. Westlake Village,Ca.91362 I do not know if the are still in busness or still sell those type of LEDs any more,But that was the company that they were purchaced from.http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/propologist/album?.dir=/6483

Hope this helps,

HMS Mike

43. Atarian

Thanks for those pics and the info. Is that the real handlink, or a replica? Looks very good.

44. Apollo

:eek Wow. :eek I would assume that was the real link.

Thanks for the Pics and L.E.D. Info Mike.. That was very kind of you.. :)

45. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Yahoo shots are of a replica. Notice the four black screws in the corner pieces are missing and the large silver screw in the Yahoo shot that are not on the real piece. Whoe ever did it did a fairly nice job, although some of the plastic middle pices are not as squared off well, especially the red and yellow middle pieces as seen in the first yahoo photo.

46. Atarian

I have enough angles and info now to actually replicate these blocks of LEDs. I will do the vector artwork the same way i am with the plexi, and I'll get one master cut from plexi of each, then I'll cast them up and make them out of resin with the LEDs inside. so far I've not done any resin work other than kit cleanup. I understand that you need a pressure pot to make sure clear resin comes out without bubbles. Can anyone reccomend a small one. I'm only going to be using it for this project, so I dont need anything big or fancy.

Thanks.

47. Atarian

A quick google search found the website of the company mentioned. But the site doesnt work. I checked it out on the internet archive, and these LEDs were in stock as of 2004. I've sent them an email, I hope they turn up.

Here's one of the data sheets: http://upload.creamedgeezer.com/images/L845-3GDT.zip

48. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

While this statement holds true for the reference photos shared in this thread, you have to remember there were many different configurations for the handlink. From the researched I've done, a few variations were created due to the prop breaking and/or disappearing from the set. I have a collection of screengrabs, and the handlink looks different in just about each one.

Sean

49. Atarian

Very true. I am sticking to the style seen in the pics posted by MycroftHolmes, though. I really like the way it looks.

50. Macklin

Macklin Well-Known Member

Contrary to popular belief you don't need a pressure pot for clear resin.

Just pour it slowly in a needle-thin stream. That's it. All it takes is a steady hand and a bit of patience.

Patrick