My P1 Themed Predator Costume with Electronics and Sounds. (Pic Heavy)

Hi Moe, ksj

I'm really struggling with one unexpected issue...I hope you have some idea :(

Basically I have Adafruit in the gauntlet and everything always worked fine, I was able to play sounds via buttons in the gauntlet and so on.

At that time power for Adafruit was coming to micro USB port, ground from Arduino GND pin and everything worked without any issues (see video below)

Then I assembled everything via wiring and basically buttons are not working anymore...

This is what I have now in the gauntlet (exactly the same as per video above, no changes) except the battery pack which is providing power instead of micro USB

View attachment 1739546

and of course ground is coming from Arduino via RJ45 (from Arduino to the board, from the board to RJ45 (both Gauntlet and Head)

The main difference I see is that your buttons look like they are sharing ground with power coming in (picture is not showing all wiring).

Mine is isolated from the power coming in kind of like what adafruit did.
1694699237930.png

I also grounded the GND pin next to ACT in the corner where you have it by itself not directly grounded to the buttons.

My money is on if you isolate ground and power from the rest of the buttons grounds like adafruit did, you may get better results.

Maybe also gheck the voltage you are getting at the Vin/Gnd next to the USB.

Last edited:
The main difference I see is that your buttons look like they are sharing ground with power coming in (picture is not showing all wiring).

Mine is isolated from the power coming in kind of like what adafruit did.
View attachment 1739629

I also grounded the GND pin next to ACT in the corner where you have it by itself not directly grounded to the buttons.

My money is on if you isolate ground and power from the rest of the buttons grounds like adafruit did, you may get better results.

Maybe also gheck the voltage you are getting at the Vin/Gnd next to the USB.

You were absolutely right!
Now it works!

Basically, behaviour is different if it's powered via MicroUSB port or VIN/GND pins (e.g. via Battery Pack).
Through Battery Pack is required to use GND pin (the one you showed) to the ground, otherwise signals on 0-10 Pins won't be recognized.

There's always to learn here! :)

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it

Alessandro

Let us go back to base wiring. On all electronics, ground connections are shared. All buttons basically connect to ground and a communication pin. Any accessory that interfaces with any part of the setup must have a ground connection to everything else. Not having everything grounded on the same common ground rail will cause all manner of weird issues and some of them will be delayed issues.

As an FYI for wiring I found it easier to solder in screw terminals as they are a lower profile and easier to fix in the field.

For power switches you are making an interrupt on the positive line coming from the battery or power source.

I also looked at your solder joints and there are a couple that are iffy but they look like ok connections.

Hi Moe,

I'm almost done so now I'm focusing to streghten a little bit what could be weak (e.g. some parts which required some plastic soldering to be on the safe side, for instance).

One thing is that I need to replace current buttons on gauntlets with more stable ones, like yours below (currently I have button yes, but right part is glued and I would like to insert something more reliable...)

1696950417216.png

Do you have a url reference for those buttons highlighted?

On Amazon Italy I can find them

but with parker screw instead of normal ones, did you maybe make them on your own via separate screw?

Thanks a lot!

Alessandro

Hi Moe,

I'm almost done so now I'm focusing to streghten a little bit what could be weak (e.g. some parts which required some plastic soldering to be on the safe side, for instance).

One thing is that I need to replace current buttons on gauntlets with more stable ones, like yours below (currently I have button yes, but right part is glued and I would like to insert something more reliable...)

View attachment 1749310

On Amazon Italy I can find them

but with parker screw instead of normal ones, did you maybe make them on your own via separate screw?

Thanks a lot!

Alessandro
I just used chicago screws from buckleguy.com on mine

Hi Moe,

KSJ has the right Idea. These are my buttons: Amazon.com

and I used regular 8/32 screws and with either 1/8" Chicago 8/32 fasteners or just regular 8/32 nuts to secure.

If you are overseas, it'll probably be closer to an M4 screw and nut to get the job done.

Just remember to cut the excess screw. I usually dry fit, mark the end, cut, and then re-attach. It's tedius but it comes out nice. I also like to smooth the cut end with a file.

Last edited:
Hey all! You guys have been incredible with your explanations, and MoeSizzlac, your project is an inspiration. You actually answered a question for me already on Thingiverse, but then I found this forum. I have an additional question. On the power pack, how did you separate out the power switch and extend it? Did you snip or unsolder the connections and then resolder with wires?

Hey all! You guys have been incredible with your explanations, and MoeSizzlac, your project is an inspiration. You actually answered a question for me already on Thingiverse, but then I found this forum. I have an additional question. On the power pack, how did you separate out the power switch and extend it? Did you snip or unsolder the connections and then resolder with wires?
Exactly. I opened the battery pack up and unsoldered the original wires and put in longer ones and just re-routed the button to a spot on the outside of the backpack.

I think I literally have everything in place. The ethernet cable works fantastic for connecting the gauntlet to the helmet, but how did you supply power to the gauntlet? Did you connect the helmet to the backpack for power which then supplies power to the gauntlet through the ethernet cable, or did you connect the backpack to the gauntlet?

I think I literally have everything in place. The ethernet cable works fantastic for connecting the gauntlet to the helmet, but how did you supply power to the gauntlet? Did you connect the helmet to the backpack for power which then supplies power to the gauntlet through the ethernet cable, or did you connect the backpack to the gauntlet?
Welp, nevermind, I went back to page one of this forum post and saw that you have two ethernet cables for this purpose.

Question:

I am very close to completion. My question is if the gauntlet is powered via usb from the battery pack, how is the arduino powered? I understand that the MPU-6050 and servos draw power from the arduino and that they are the only items plugged into the arduino. This does bring up a second question...

I have relocated the switch from the battery pack to the outside of the cannon back pack. I haave a second switch in the gauntlet to power the servos/laser. power from USB to the adafruit sound fx board and all switch/buttons work meaning all sound button play the correct sound assigned to them. Large switch turns on flashlight, double switch flashes light and plays cannon blast sound. Secondary switch in gauntlet feeds power to the servos...ect

However, If my servos recieve power from the arduino, from where am I running power/control from to go to this second switch?

The MPU-6050 is powered and small led is green, but no movement comes from servos when moving MPU-6050.

What am I missing?

Question:

I am very close to completion. My question is if the gauntlet is powered via usb from the battery pack, how is the arduino powered? I understand that the MPU-6050 and servos draw power from the arduino and that they are the only items plugged into the arduino. This does bring up a second question...

I have relocated the switch from the battery pack to the outside of the cannon back pack. I haave a second switch in the gauntlet to power the servos/laser. power from USB to the adafruit sound fx board and all switch/buttons work meaning all sound button play the correct sound assigned to them. Large switch turns on flashlight, double switch flashes light and plays cannon blast sound. Secondary switch in gauntlet feeds power to the servos...ect

However, If my servos recieve power from the arduino, from where am I running power/control from to go to this second switch?

The MPU-6050 is powered and small led is green, but no movement comes from servos when moving MPU-6050.

What am I missing?
So, something I learned from Moe's wiring diagram (earlier in this thread) is that when you have the power source coming from the battery pack to the USB, it actually splits into two different paths:

First path goes to the Arduino and the MPU.
Second path goes to the switch in the gauntlet that controls the power for the servos and the soundboard.

This effectively makes it so that when you turn on the switch at the battery pack, the arduino and MPU turn on and become calibrated. Then you throw the switch on the gauntlet which wakes up the servos and the soundboard. So the circuit path for the servos and soundboard basically goes:

Battery pack -> line down to gauntlet -> power switch at gauntlet -> soundboard as well as back up the line to the backpack to the servos.

Consqeuently, Moe wired the LEDs or laser diodes in the helmet to this also so that they get powered on when you flip the switch at the gauntlet. Very clever :)

Battery pack -> line down to gauntlet -> power switch at gauntlet -> soundboard as well as back up the line to the backpack to the servos.
Thank you for answering. I'd say the only thing I would add is that my soundboard is always on like the arduino but that doesn't mean you have to do it that way.
Question:

What am I missing?
There in lies the kicker. Instead of the servos getting power from the arduino, they (and the lasers together) get it directly from the USB when you flip the switch on your gauntlet. The only thing the servos are getting from the Arduino is the data (yellow/orange wire)

Let me know if this makes sense

Hello MoeSizzlac. I recently downloaded the files from Thingiverse, but it looks like the "MoeSizzlac_-_Predator_-_Gauntlet_-_Right_-_Top_-_Blades_2_-_Print_2.stl" file is not downloading correctly. I've tried downloading it on it's own and a couple times in the zip file, but it comes as just 1lb and won't open. Is there any chance you could re-upload that file? Or is it just a problem on my end maybe?

Hello MoeSizzlac. I recently downloaded the files from Thingiverse, but it looks like the "MoeSizzlac_-_Predator_-_Gauntlet_-_Right_-_Top_-_Blades_2_-_Print_2.stl" file is not downloading correctly. I've tried downloading it on it's own and a couple times in the zip file, but it comes as just 1lb and won't open. Is there any chance you could re-upload that file? Or is it just a problem on my end maybe?
I'm not getting an error: https://www.thingiverse.com/download:7424249. I attached it just in case

Attachments

• MoeSizzlac_-_Predator_-_Gauntlet_-_Right_-_Top_-_Blades_2_-_Print_2.stl
    12.2 MB · Views: 30

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back