My not-so-budget Jack Sparrow build

No need for the block. I used the 8" metal mixing bowl from Ikea. I did dip it in simmering water, but only for a few seconds, because I wanted the bowl of the hat to be more rigid than the brim. It worked out just fine and the cut out crown is now sitting on my wig head fully dry.

Cool! I'm really forward to seeing your hat coming together... especially after the awesome job you did on the boots.

Keep posting progress pics, because I hope to make my own hat someday, and I can use all the help I can get :)

Dude, I've gotta tell you....

After receiving my own pair of CABOOTS... You really did a great job capturing the likeness of their boots.

Excellent work, truly!

Thanks! I think the CABoots have a much lower profile than mine, but I did my best to match the pattern or the upper. Now that I've seen a pair of them myself I could see a few places I was a bit off.

Anyways, hat progress.

DSC01144.jpg

I accidentally left the tools needed to mark the stitching holes for the trim at work, but I got the trim glued down on the edges to hold it in place until it's sewn on. Kind of a bummer, because I was going to dye it on Friday, now I have to wait until then just to sew it. I can still just barely get it done in time though, so long as the weather dries up a bit in the next week so the dye will have time to totally dry before the parties. If not, I guess I'll have to fire up the oven.

Be patient on the dying mate. As a matter of fact I would dye your pieces first with a light color first because you can always go back and darken as needed when it is fully assembled. Also don't forget you can use the dark on light technique for dying meaning dye with a light brown first and second layer be dark brown. The dark brown layer can be splotchy so you can acquire that weathered look. It also depends which movie look you are going for....!

Don't worry, I know how to dye. Again, that's what I do for my job. I already have the whole thing planned out, colors selected, the process practiced and everything.

I weathered my boots with black and brown shoe polish, which I did a bit too quickly and it looks a little obvious what I did. I'm hoping it'll even out over time. They also got wet on a ride at Disneyland which made some parts darker. I'll rough them up with a wire brush soon, being careful not to go anywhere near the stitching.

A quick question for any of you guys who have made your hats with the proper stitched/rolled trim: Did you have any issues with the leather stretching too much when you soaked it to curl the edge around the back? I just finished stitching the trim down and soaked the whole brim and did all the forming to get the trim in the right position, and now I'm finding that the edge of the brim is all the correct size, held in place by the thread, but the inside has stretched and is now too large to lay flat inside the border, if that makes any sense. So now it's puffing up a bit like a mushroom. Is there anything I can do to shrink the center back down to size? Maybe if I soak it again in hot water? Suggestions welcome, and preferably soon.

Well, after tossing the messed up bound brim, I decided to just go ahead and make a temporary hat with a plain brim with a grooved edge. Not nearly as cool, but looks similar from a distance. The problem is, I can't figure out how to give it the narrower profile Jack's has. From the pictures I've seen, the back points should angle upwards a bit, but mine just go straight out. Any thoughts?

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01161.jpg

Risu,

Love your boots! I apologize if this has been covered already, but what type of leather did you use? Where can it be found?

Thanks! And keep up the great work!

Been sidetracked working on a friend's costume. Start to finish in 4 days, loads of leather work and had to sew him a vest and shorts, I'm surprised I actually managed it so fast.

Anyways, some progress from the last couple of days. I made myself a Black Pearl baldric because I had an old Acme buckle handy and wanted to carry the sword at a party tomorrow night. I also repainted that sword (Disguise) and will be touching up the paint job on the flintlock later tonight. These paint jobs are only acrylic sponged and brushed on; I'll sand, fill, prime, and properly paint them later when I have more time. I've also started putting buttons on my waistcoat. I plan to finish that step and stitch up the inside seams tonight, then add the button holes and distressing tomorrow before heading out for the party. Lots to do, but not more than I can handle.

DSC01163.jpg

DSC01166.jpg

DSC01170.jpg

I was running too short on time to do anything DMC or AWE accurate, and I couldn't get that buckle in time either, so I bought the BP buckle off of my boss and threw that together in about 2 hours. Not quite as easy as a belt, but it wasn't too difficult. The edges aren't bound, just deep grooved.

This is going to be my last post in this thread for a while probably. I'm planning on upgrading my baldric, hat, and redying my breeches before the premiere in May, but it'll be a while before I get back to it. But for now, here are some pictures a friend took before I shaved off my beard earlier today. (I didn't have enough time to put on the Grimas tooth enamel, I wish I had because the stuff looks great. Also didn't put on the scar. Oh, and sorry if the pictures are too big.)

Jack1.jpg

Jack2.jpg

Jack3.jpg

Jack4.jpg

Jack5.jpg

Jack6.jpg

Jack7.jpg

Jodo, I'll send you a PM shortly regarding the baldric. I'm also selling the hat, so if anybody's interested, drop me a line.

I recognize that beach!

Dude! Keep working at it and keep sending updates! It will keep you on course and you will find yourself not trying to do everything at the last minute!

I speak from experience!!!!! Life tends to take over at times!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!:love

I would work on it over time, but closer deadlines are calling. I have 4 Who costumes to finish before February and I won't even be in the country for most of January.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back